Walla Walla Elk

Hey everyone, new here. I am just looking to seek out some information, as I am starting to get prepped for next years hunts. I currently am sitting on 17 elk points as a resident in Oregon and am planning to try and draw Walla Walla. According to GO Hunt, I should be a shoe in for it. I am just looking for some peoples thoughts on the hunt and any tips or tactics from people who have had success in the unit. I live nearly 6 hours away, so I will try and do some scouting, but won't be able to get in there a whole lot apart from weekends. Any help would be much appreciated!

WRO

WKR
Hey everyone, new here. I am just looking to seek out some information, as I am starting to get prepped for next years hunts. I currently am sitting on 17 elk points as a resident in Oregon and am planning to try and draw Walla Walla. According to GO Hunt, I should be a shoe in for it. I am just looking for some peoples thoughts on the hunt and any tips or tactics from people who have had success in the unit. I live nearly 6 hours away, so I will try and do some scouting, but won't be able to get in there a whole lot apart from weekends. Any help would be much appreciated!
Rifle or archery?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Take vacation time, random holidays off, sick days, weekends, whatever it takes to get in there and scout. There is NO replacement for boots on the ground.

OP
haydenbates098
Sorry, I should've clarified that! It will be an archery hunt. I have one week of vacation time and plan on taking it for the 2nd week of September for the hunt itself. Outside of that, I plan on scouting weekends during the summer a whole lot to get an idea of the land itself.

wapitibob

WKR
18 was a lock for 2022, only 5 with 17 drew, and the new odfw reports no longer shows point savers who are just sitting on the side.

Ucsdryder

WKR
You waited almost 2 decades to draw and your complaining about 6 hour drive? The only way to really get your money worth on a hunt like that is to make a year out of it. I’d scour 2-4 times minimum. It’ll be fun, you’ll learn the roads, terrain, and elk, and your odds of killing a big bull will go way up. If you truly are a shoe in, I’d make a trip up there this year and see what’s going on during archery season.

WRO

WKR
Sorry, I should've clarified that! It will be an archery hunt. I have one week of vacation time and plan on taking it for the 2nd week of September for the hunt itself. Outside of that, I plan on scouting weekends during the summer a whole lot to get an idea of the land itself.
I'd take more time off..

Lots of places to look, learn how to ride a trail bike.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
haydenbates098
If I had more time off, I would definitely take it. But, I don't. I will be limited to pretty much weekend scouting and I definitely plan on doing a lot of it. Just have not spent much time in the unit. I have an E-bike and am definitely willing to pack in and hunt. Also, not really worried about the 6 hour drive, was just stating that it is 6 hours, so it isnt like I can just bomb over there on an evening after work to scout for the evening.

WRO

WKR
If I had more time off, I would definitely take it. But, I don't. I will be limited to pretty much weekend scouting and I definitely plan on doing a lot of it. Just have not spent much time in the unit. I have an E-bike and am definitely willing to pack in and hunt. Also, not really worried about the 6 hour drive, was just stating that it is 6 hours, so it isnt like I can just bomb over there on an evening after work to scout for the evening.

You're going to want something with an engine, not en E bike. That country is big and Gnarly, it'll take your breath away when you first look into it. Every bull we've killed has been 1k plus vertical elevation to pack out. Archery should be easier as elk F&*k on flat ground so there will be bulls in easier places. That being said, don't take it lightly, get into shape and plan on working your butt off. I'd hunt the 9th-17th based off moon phases.

CC11

Lil-Rokslider
If I were you and only had one week vacation time, I would hunt the third or fourth week. Also like others have said, you most likely won't be guaranteed next year to draw, but will have a chance. Look at Ron Wolds predictions here https://oregontags.com/. Have you ever been in the unit? Now through the next couple of weeks would be a good time to get over there and get a feel for stuff, then I would spend as much time as possibly through the summer over there scouting even if you don't draw.

I've been spike hunting it the last few years to prepare for when I have the big bull tag. I have 19 points now.
You'll want to scout a bunch and have a few different options for camps. Country is narly. I love it.

Steel4sam

FNG
I’ve hunted that tag, and much like you I had one week of vacation. Hunted every weekend and scouted my ass off even with a 6 hour drive. You can still have an awesome hunt!!! Don’t be discouraged. My dad killed a great bull and I had my opportunity but didn’t notch a tag.

OP
haydenbates098
Id quit my job, employment is plentiful rite now you'll find a new one when you get back.
Heck your old job will probably be begging for ya.

Tell them your taking the month off one way or another.
Actually have considered this and have been thinking the exact same thing! lol.