Wall tent durability?

PorterNY

Lil-Rokslider
I live in upstate NY.. tug hill area.
I’ve been internet researching wall tents and browsing this forum for brands and durability answers.
Not many people use them in my area
(mostly day hunters or permanent camps)

We get serious snow and 40-60 mile winds occasionally.

Im going to set camp up in woods we own.
Looking to set this tent up in September and take down in December.

Room for wife and 4 teenagers on weekends.

Anyone recommend a brand? I have been considering purchasing from the wall tent shop online. But I want to make sure whatever we buy it’s heavy duty and lasts.
Thanks
Steve

cnelk

WKR
I vote for Davis Tent.

If you follow them on Facebook, you'll see many people use them all over the US, including your area

Wall tent shop makes a great tent. I used to do the same thing on sone private property we had permission to hunt. Built a platform and put the tent on it.

One year a freak October snow storm created by a hurricane dumped three feet of snow on it. With no one there to tend it, the roof section collapsed but the walls didn’t. It literally had water 5 foot deep in the middle of the tent. It was so heavy it bent the wall poles until the canvas wouldn’t let them bend.

I ended up having to cut a bit of it to get the water to drain. I sewed the tent where I cut it and we still use it today That’s how tough the tents are from wall tent shop. Buy with confidence.

Catahoula

WKR
Davis Tent. I have two of their tents myself (only couple years now), I have a friend that has one also. Neither one of us have had any issues to date. Many on this site have them as well with much more experience with the brand.

hunterjmj

WKR
Most of them are pretty dang durable.
Internal frame will hold the snow load best, but if the wind gets under it they can lift off.

Id tarp id with a slick tarp so the snow slides off easier.
Definitely get a a good tarp for snow and rain. Also, I made 12" stakes from rebar. I've had it in some serious eastern Montana high winds without issue.

We have two Davis tents we have been using for over 10 years now. They are amazing! Many snow storms and thunderstorms weathered in them.

I've been using a 10x14 Montana Canvas Relite Blend for years here in PA for Bear and Deer and it's been flawless. Some of the December storms really had my attention a few times.

I don't use a fly but I would in your scenario of been setup for so long.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I snowmobiled in Tug Hill for many years, Brother has a place in Copenhagen. Davis tent will weather those lake effect storms and high winds.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
OP, for your use, a wall tent/wood stove would be perfect. Unlike many shelters, wall tents can be left set up unattended for quite some time as they can handle a good amount of snow. You probably be want at least a 12x16 for the numbers you posted.

Make sure you have somewhere to completely dry it. Otherwise when you store it or they will get mold/mildew and potentially rot.

They can take some pretty big wind, but you need to make sure they are fully staked down or they will act like a huge wind sock. My buddy made his own rebar stakes and I'm certain the tent would withstand any wind in our area.

I always used a heavy duty tarp on mine when I used it. It's not necesarily needed, but an extra layer of waterproofing.

I've heard good things about Davis and Montana tents (assume you'll be buying US).
"Deluxe Wall Tents" is my local Cdn manufacturer here on Vancouver Island and pretty much the gold standard for wall tents here in BC.

Not sure if they ship to the US, they do free shipping in Canada and depending on exchange, may be able to get one at a decent US price point.

Last edited:
OP
PorterNY

PorterNY

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the info and replies..
I will keep you posted when I’ve made the purchase

OP
PorterNY

PorterNY

Lil-Rokslider
Any of you guys that leave wall tents set up for an extended period of time have problems with mice or porcupines chewing holes in them?

I have a delux wall tent. They are the gold standard here in Canada. literally hand made/sew on Vancouver Island.

Pgidley

FNG
We bought a 10x12 factory second from Wall Tent Shop about 15 years ago and it has served us incredibly well. We've used it moose hunting into December, ice fishing in March, and had it set up all summer this year while doing some construction on our property, just to have somewhere sheltered for material and tools.

I would suggest for sure going larger than 10x12 though, in hind sight. For the price, our tent has been hard to beat, but I would likely look towards Deluxe or Davis for a 14x16 or larger.

There used to be a few smaller manufacturers serving the mining and exploration industry, Porcupine Canvas is one that comes to mind. Worth seeking out also, as they usually had a line on second hand tents and would do modifications and custom work happily.

WKR
Fan of Davis as well. But own some land myself and sort of considering a coloradoyurt.com for a long term camping solution. Set it up and leave it year round. With a good platform or pad they look quite comfortable and are made for high wind/snow. Something to consider anyway.