VX-3 ok for new 7mmMag Tikka?

gostovp

WKR
I recently picked up a new Tikka T3 Roughtech in 7mmMag for a good price. I'm debating what optic to put in it. This will be an elk/mule deer rifle as well as a field edge/longer shot rifle for whitetail here in WI. I am not really interested in dialing for elevation or long range shooting, and my max range on big game will be 500 yards. I have a Leupold VX-3 in 3.5-10x40 that I bought new in 2016 that's seen very little use. In reading on these forums Leupold doesn't get a ton of love, but I'm wondering of the overall quality in that build year of the VX-3 in a set-it-and-forget-it type scope. I don't really want to have to drop $$ on a new optic if I don't' have to, but if the VX-3 is junk I'm not opposed to. Scope will be in a one-piece DNZ GameReaper mount. Thoughts??

Rich M

WKR
Try it and see if it holds a zero you are comfortable with.

I have 3006 that shoots in inch or less at 250 yards with an older VX-2. I bought a VX-3i and suddenly its a 2 to 3 inch gun. Put VX-2 back on there and shooting an inch again.

That’s my beef with them.

If it is an older VX-3 it should hold zero and has nice enough glass for after legal shooting time.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
Thanks. I just looked up my serial number and it was actually manufactured in 2015. And it’s for sure a VX-3 and not a Vx-3i

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
Try it and see if it holds a zero you are comfortable with.

I have 3006 that shoots in inch or less at 250 yards with an older VX-2. I bought a VX-3i and suddenly its a 2 to 3 inch gun. Put VX-2 back on there and shooting an inch again.

That’s my beef with them.

If it is an older VX-3 it should hold zero and has nice enough glass for after legal shooting time.
Looks like the last year of the VX-3 was 2015 and 2016 is when the VX-3i was released. Would you say this is when leupolds rep for not holding zero kinda started?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
My goodness. I’ve been using Leupolds since the 80s…all over North America. I’ve tried many higher priced options and never saw a reason not to stick with Leupold. From Vari-X II up thru VX-6 HDs I’ve never had a problem or had to send one back for service.

I just hunt, I’m not a long range guy. I’ve read all the bashing; I’ve not let it affect what my experience has been.

You have a great scope for what you want to do for sure.

Rich M

WKR
Looks like the last year of the VX-3 was 2015 and 2016 is when the VX-3i was released. Would you say this is when leupolds rep for not holding zero kinda started?
Give it a try. My dad has a vx-3 that holds zero and has bice glass…

Im not sure when the quality started to slide.

Do they have more scopes in circulation than anyone else in the USA? I’d guess yes. That’s not by accident and when you have that many there are bound to be some bad eggs.

There are better scopes for sure but I would have no problem putting it on any rifle I own if I already owned it unless I felt the need to spend a lot of money (I get that feeling often).

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
Thanks for the responses. I do like the eye relief, eyebox and glass quality of the scope. I will mount it up and see how it performs…. Might be a little bit cuz it’s still damn cold here in WI…

The exact setup I have. Mine is mounted in the DNZ mount. Deadly on Whitetails and Elk. You will be happy.