Vortex Viper 2.5-10x44 vs Nightforce SHV 3-10x42

I hunt for Hogs and Deer with most shots ranging from 15-200 yards, but would like to be able to dial to 500 if the occasion arises. Right now I have a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 with the BDC reticle. I really like this scope because it is compact and does really well in low light. But, I don’t love the BDC reticle and I’m not sure if the scope can accurately handle dialing. My dad has a Leupold VX5-HD 3-15x44 that I am not super impressed with in comparison to the Viper considering it is almost 3 times the price. And my last Leupold had a wondering zero so I kind of lost confidence in them.

I have heard lots of good things about the Nightforce SHV 3-10x42. It is just like my viper with capped turrets and no parallax adjustment which I do not want on my hunting scope.

Is it worth upgrading to the SHV for confidence in dialing? Does anyone have a good experience with dialing on the Viper? Or should I just learn to like the BDC reticle and keep practicing with it?

Any advice would be great, thank you!

Timplant

Lil-Rokslider
I LOVE my SHV. Not saying it’s the best or there isn’t better options, but it lives on my coyote gun and I got it for just over 600$ on a Black Friday deal 4 or 5 years ago and it does everything I want it to do perfectly.

As a previous owner of a Viper HS I didn't trust it to hold zero in the field. I also do not like BDC reticle and won't use one on game animals.

As far as tracking i do a box test and a tall target test on every scope I purchase. If I had the coin for an Atacr or ZCO I'd still do both tests for complete confidence. It only costs you a little time and ammo. You can get fancy and buy pre-made tall targets. But a sheet of butcher paper and your best tape measure will net you the same results.

If you truly plan on taking 500 yard shots on game then the SHV is IMHO a no brainer over the HS. You need practice at that distance (and beyond) and a scope that is capable of dialing is just moh betta. You can get by dialing your HS to start. It is just not as nice as having the exposed turrets.

OP
B
As a previous owner of a Viper HS I didn't trust it to hold zero in the field. I also do not like BDC reticle and won't use one on game animals.

As far as tracking i do a box test and a tall target test on every scope I purchase. If I had the coin for an Atacr or ZCO I'd still do both tests for complete confidence. It only costs you a little time and ammo. You can get fancy and buy pre-made tall targets. But a sheet of butcher paper and your best tape measure will net you the same results.

If you truly plan on taking 500 yard shots on game then the SHV is IMHO a no brainer over the HS. You need practice at that distance (and beyond) and a scope that is capable of dialing is just moh betta. You can get by dialing your HS to start. It is just not as nice as having the exposed turrets.
Thank you for confirming what I was thinking. I will probably put the viper on my muzzle loader and look for an SHV for my rifle.

OP
B
I LOVE my SHV. Not saying it’s the best or there isn’t better options, but it lives on my coyote gun and I got it for just over 600$ on a Black Friday deal 4 or 5 years ago and it does everything I want it to do perfectly.
Wow that is a great price. What reticle do you have?