Vortex Razor HD 65 MM----What to do?

Hi there,

I lurk a lot on these forums and really enjoy the informative community that's formed. My question revolves around the Vortex Razor and the Swarovski.

I'm in the market for a spotter this off season and have been getting heavy pressure from some of my friends to get a Swaro. I went and looked through a couple different pieces of glass and came to the same conclusion that a few reviewers did here...

Vortex is great, especially at the price tag, but it's not a Swarovski or Zeiss.

But it's close. And you seriously can't beat the warranty associated with it.

But one of the major turnoffs for me was the fact that Vortex didn't make a 65mm scope. The weight and size is important to me.

With that being said, I decided on a whim to shoot Vortex an email last night asking about a 65 MM scope.

This was the reply:

"Good morning Travis,

Thanks for contacting Vortex Optics. Check back around the first of the year when we have our 2013 models on our site…..might just be something you’re looking for ;)"

Great. I had my mind made up to just keep saving and bite the bullet to get a Swaro, but now I'm not so sure.

My question for the RokSlide community is this...for those who use Vortex, or Swarovski, or Zeiss, in the FIELD what's the difference. Will I get a headache looking through Vortex all day quicker then I would through a Swaro? Is there enough of a quality difference that it's going to change what I do in the field?

These questions keep me up at night. Hehe.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Hardstalk

WKR
You really can not go wrong with any. Its a budget preference. Apples to apples. Some guys swear by vortex. Others are against it. Remember everything you read on sites/forums are usually personal opinions. And also everyones eyes are different from one to the next. And keep in mind brand loyalty runs deep in some folks.

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
For the $ the 85mm Vortex Razor is hard to beat. Hopefully thier new one is good too. I would like to see some different eyepiece choices also.

bbrown

WKR
Damn it - I asked them the same question a couple months ago and they said they had no plans for a 65mm Razor...
So I ended up with a 65mm Swaro - oh well

OP
T
Damn it - I asked them the same question a couple months ago and they said they had no plans for a 65mm Razor...
So I ended up with a 65mm Swaro - oh well

Was it worth the extra 700 bucks?

ElkNut1

WKR
Vortex is coming out with the Razor HD 65MM & a Razor HD 50MM, I will own that 50MM in a heartbeat!!! I use the Razor HD 85MM & would never trade that one off as it's awesome for long distance viewing!

ElkNut1

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Vortex is coming out with the Razor HD 65MM & a Razor HD 50MM, I will own that 50MM in a heartbeat!!! I use the Razor HD 85MM & would never trade that one off as it's awesome for long distance viewing!

ElkNut1

Yep, put me inline for the 50mm as well!!! Wonder what the zoom range on the smaller objectives will be.

ElkNut1

WKR
Luke, the 50MM will be 11-33X50 & the 65MM will be 15-45X65. Yes guys I will have these as soon as available & at a great price! I will check them out as soon as available! Man, can't wait for that 50MM to pack in with, sweeeet!

ElkNut1

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
My question for the RokSlide community is this...for those who use Vortex, or Swarovski, or Zeiss, in the FIELD what's the difference. Will I get a headache looking through Vortex all day quicker then I would through a Swaro? Is there enough of a quality difference that it's going to change what I do in the field?

I am pretty well on the record with my opinions on the Razor. I have used it ... extensively, and like it a lot. I am anxious to see the new models also. I have also used the Swaro and Zeiss. The Swaro's best feature, IMO, is its light weight for a 80mm spotter, and it is also optically excellent. The Zeiss' best feature is the wide magnification range of the eyepiece.

Here is my take:

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/optics/228-battle-of-the-big-eyes

Hardstalk

WKR
I have been told april-may is when the goods should be available.

Elknut- im not sure that there is an optic whore in the world who isnt excited about the 50mm. The real test will be the side by side with the ed50. Im very excited about the new mini scope competition coming out. Everything will be lighter and brighter from here on out.

ElkNut1

WKR
Yes, it will be nice to compare Hardstalk! I don't doubt for a 2nd the Razor Hd will hold its own if it's anything like his big brother! (grin)

Matt, do you have access to the ED50? If so as soon as I get a 50MM in I will send it to you for comparison as your thoughts are well respected & un-biased.

ElkNut1

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it will be nice to compare Hardstalk! I don't doubt for a 2nd the Razor Hd will hold its own if it's anything like his big brother! (grin)

Matt, do you have access to the ED50? If so as soon as I get a 50MM in I will send it to you for comparison as your thoughts are well respected & un-biased.

ElkNut1

Paul,

I appreciate the offer. I know it may be shocking, but I DO have an ED50a with the 13-40 MCII eyepiece. I think a comparo-article might be in the future!

ElkNut1

WKR
Ha Ha, I meant to compare an ED50 to the Razor HD 50 as Hardstalk suggested, I'm sure you don't have the New Razor one yet! (grin)

ElkNut1

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ha Ha, I meant to compare an ED50 to the Razor HD 50 as Hardstalk suggested, I'm sure you don't have the New Razor one yet! (grin)

ElkNut1

That's awesome Paul, I think an 50 mm spotter is on my list before next season.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
any word on the possible weights of these new Razor HDs?? Or have you said too much already :D

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Guys,

I was able to use these a few months ago in proto stage and I just got permission from Vortex to post up my thoughts, weights and so on.

I have all the data at the house and will post it up as soon as I get home.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Hey Guys,

I was able to use these a few months ago in proto stage and I just got permission from Vortex to post up my thoughts, weights and so on.

I have all the data at the house and will post it up as soon as I get home.

Well hop to it. :D J/K....Looking forward to the specs.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Dan and I were the poster children in the photo shot for Vortex this year (for 2013). So we got to see all of the new products during the shoot.

I tried to steel a 65 and 50, but Vortex caught me stuffing it into my Timberline:)

ElkNut1

WKR
Aron, sounds great as I do not have wts & lengths yet! What did you think of the 50MM, was it plenty clear & light enough for a solid packer???? Thanks!

ElkNut1