Vortex Razor 50mm Spotter

OR Archer

WKR
Now that guys have had a chance to get these out in the field during a hunting season lets hear some opinions on the in the field performance of these new compact spotters. I am heavily leaning toward this spotter for next season and would like to hear some honest in the field feed back.

Wrongside

WKR
Just got back from a week using mine on a sheep hunt, and I'm liking it more, the more I use it. It is just a great, clear little scope.

hflier

WKR
I just bought one too and used it Elk hunting last week. I love it. I have owned small Nikons, Leupold and Minox scopes. This one will be staying.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I lent mine to a buddy that didn't have a spotter that was going on a sheep hunt....right after that we used it on a caribou hunt....I am always impressed what that little spotter can do for how small/light it is. Quite impressive. No not letting my 85mm Zeiss go anytime soon, but there is a time and a place for both IMO.

Wrongside

WKR
No not letting my 85mm Zeiss go anytime soon, but there is a time and a place for both IMO.
I agree Luke. After hunting without a spotter for years, one of the unexpected consequences of finally springing for this little Razor 50, and liking it so much, is... Now I really want an 80 as well... :)

OP
OR Archer

OR Archer

WKR
Good to hear. I have had a chance to look through one and was quite impressed but everyone knows in the field and in the shop are two different things. Thanks for the info. Keep it coming.

LitenFast

WKR
Got the chance to use mine for 6 days in CO, a week ago, and was really impressed. I was watching 6 elk 5 miles and 2000ft up the first night, I could tell one was a bull by the way it acted and chased the others around, and that the neck was darker than the others, but couldn't see antlers, I had the chance to get in that bowl a few days later and there was a very nice 5x5 still pushing around 5 cows. The best part is the tiny weight penalty you get packing it in, the thing is tiny and super lightweight! I have very little experience with large spotters, and wouldn't probably ever pack one in, but this paired with my viper hd 10x42s was a great combo for a backpack set up

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I certainly did....both in optical quality and the $$$. If you can't bring yourself to carry a 65mm scope then ya a 50mm Vortex would be a good upgrade. But the 65mm would be better if you don't already have a good quality all round spotter.