Vortex addiction

Trap

Lil-Rokslider
You have the scope already, correct?

1. Ballistic AE is a FREE app you can download right now. Go and zero your rifle and download that app.

2. Plug in your rifle setup. Barrel length (can be gotten from the manufacturer's website), twist rate (from the side of the rifle's barrel), scope adjustment value (either 0.1 Mils or 1/4 MOA, just read on the scope itself), and the height over bore of your scope (lay the rifle on its side, measure from the center of your bolt to the center of your turret housing. It'll be between 1.5 and 2 inches most likely, all you need is a tape measure), and your zero distance (whatever distance you zeroed at in step #1).

3. Plug in your ammo info. Ballistic AE already has bullet profiles, so you can just choose whatever factory load you're using from their dropdown menu. This will even give you your approximate velocity, and even if the velocity is off by +/- 100 FPS, it won't make a nickel's worth of difference inside 500. That is to say, if you miss at 450, it won't be because your velocity is off.

4. Plug in your current atmospheric information. This can be obtained through your weather app on your phone.

5. Plug in your approximate elevation. This can be obtained through either your GPS or through Google.

6. Hit the solve button on your app, then screenshot the solution table it spits out. Then set that screenshot as your screen saver during hunting season, and when you need to take a shot you just pull out your phone and look at your solution on your screen for the distance your rangefinder is giving you. The difference is you'll dial to 10 MOA (or whatever your your ballistic solution is) instead of to the little number "5" on your turret for 500 yards.

This is EXACTLY what Kenton Industries, Leupold, Gunwerks, Red Rock Precision, Huskemaw, and every other "custom turret" maker out there is doing. The difference is that rather than handing you a table that tells you to dial 10 MOA or whatever it is to hit at 500, they etch a little "5" meaning 500 yards on the turret in place of the 10 on your elevation dial.

These companies aren't doing anything "magical," they're using all the same programs that you and I have access to and plugging the information (which you are required to gather and supply to them anyway) and charging you $100 to take 3 minutes and plug the solution into the calculator for you and hit "print" on their little printer.

All I'm saying is you don't NEED the custom turret at all. You're giving them all the pertinent information you would need to solve things for yourself anyways, why not save the $100 and cut out the middle man entirely and have the gratification of doing the solving yourself?
All well said and very accurate but sometimes you don’t have time to check your ballistic app, dial, etc. I had a nice buck last year go from 420 to 550 back to 4 hundred and change then finally stopped broadside at 650. All in a what seemed like a few minutes ,chasing a doe every which way. Constantly dialing and adjusting the range was maddening. I have a reticle set to my ballistics and just finally used the reticle. I put him down with 1 shot. I prefer the custom reticle but a custom dial would help in that situation also. Granted I shoot the gun a lot and i regularly practice at longer distances using the reticle. In hunting situations I don’t always have time to use my ballistic app and dial. I’m not sure why the op even wants a turret if he mostly shoots 100 and occasionally gets a 300 yard shot? I basically agree with everything you said but sometimes I prefer to have a “shortcut “

Michael54

WKR
Short of you hunting with something that has 3 feet of drop from 200 to 300, if you zero almost any rifle at 200 you should be able to kill with no issues out to 300. However if you can't routinely practice at 300 i wouldnt think a custom turret is gonna be your saving grace. Your best bet for 300yds and in is get a scope with a bdc reticle and verify the hold points at the range, or zero at 200 and call it a day. On another note after multiple failures with a vortex viper scope i'd rather use them as toilet paper than put another one on one of my rifles.

BUDS89

FNG
Oh, SNAP. I was about to ask a question about Vortex scopes and then read several recent posts. Ya'll be havin' fun!!!

Michael54

WKR
Oh, SNAP. I was about to ask a question about Vortex scopes and then read several recent posts. Ya'll be havin' fun!!!
When you spend a couple grand on a hunt and its ruined by a glass failure regardless of the warranty the glass has people tend to not have much nice to say about that glass company.