Video storage

fulltiltaudio

Lil-Rokslider
While planning for having lots of space used up for videos, I am curious what the fastest and easiest way to transfer/store videos is while keeping it all organized? Are you downloading it all each day/night to an external hard drive, then backing up that hard drive each night? How long does it take to transfer that much video each day? Do you just get extra memory cards and save them until you get home to do the downloading?
Just trying to be efficient with my time and hopefully not spend hours downloading large files!

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

kissell59

FNG
I try to pull footage from cards the day it's taken if I can. Sometimes it does take a long time but just depends on how many GBs of footage, and your read and write speeds of your drives on your computer. I like everything organized as best as possible, so I will make folder for each day, label it with the activity and date. Then inside that folder, I create an audio, footage, graphics, and photos folder. Inside the footage folder I have folders for each camera I use. This just makes everything easier when you are building your video in a video editor, and I used Adobe Premiere for that. My folders look like this internally:

Capture2.PNG

I second the method @kissell59 uses.

For trips where I’m unable to dump footage daily, I write to both cards in the camera to keep a backup. If you don’t have two card slots, having a system is best. I’d use one card a day and start then next day with a fresh one, storing them in a weatherproof card cases like pelican makes.

It’s too bad that Gnarbox company went down. Portable backups would be much less stressful than a trips worth of footage riding around in your pack lol

I use 500 gig or larger cards and download when home. Yes, I risk loss of videos if a card dies (hasn't ever happened yet, and I've filmed many terabytes of footage), but I don't make my living from YouTube. I don't sweat the risk. At 60, trophy footage is not nearly as important as as trophy experiences.

Is anyone using a hard drive hooked up to their router at home for their own private cloud? I’m considering this for my own storage needs. Between photos and video I am quickly exceeding the capacity of my hard drive. Curious what works.