Vehicle Rental for hunting trip

Hello all, I am planning a Colorado trip this September with two other people. I have been looking at Turo to rent a 4wd vehicle.

I was wondering what you all use as a rental vehicle. Do you use an app or local business or do you go through the normal rental companies like hertz or budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find if I can get something farther away from the airport, I can get a lower price.

OP
M
Good tip, I’ll expand my search. Do you still use the big companies then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t have any one I prefer. More of an all of the above approach for me personally.

Just be careful. A lot of the agreements you state that they can only be used on paved roads or similar wording, meaning you are responsible if damaged occur on an unimproved road.

Had a work friend rent an suv and got full coverage for it. It had hit while he was away from his vehicle along a dirt road /path at a national forest I think. Was not drivable and had to get towed.

He was shocked when he had to pay the full boat repair and towing billl. Was like 7 k. They used the fine print against him.

So be clear on your use limits is all I am saying.

Jt13

FNG
Make sure you get the Turo insurance. Most car insurance coverages fo not apply for ride-sharing, I can at least speak for progressive and geico

Gutshotem

WKR
Make sure to check the feedback for the person you are renting from. When I looked into it, the most common reason for negative feedback was the car owner canceling the reservation last minute.

crrakcrrak

Lil-Rokslider
We've been doing this since 2003. 2004-2008 we could rent AWD mid size SUV for short money. We had used Hotwire, Expedier etc. Lately when you go to rent a SUV its a FWD vehicle. They no longer keep 4Wd on lots. Now we are back to calling directly to Dollar, Thrifty etc. to get a 4WD vehicle. Not many bargains left a crap shoot at best. I am fed up, I"ll be driving out again this year.

hunterjmj

WKR
Also video the exterior and interior before driving and at drop off. Got protect yourself. Keep that video for a long time.

Ebby

WKR
I love Turo. You know exactly what you are getting. Just make sure the Renter is ok with you taking it Off Road. Some if them advertise 4x4 vehicles that are very well equipped but then put a disclaimer that you aren't allowed to take them offroad. Message the renter before renting to clarify.

I've used Turo dozens of times and once you figure out how to navigate it and make sure you get what you pay for, it's great.

hiker270

WKR
For several years I have used Turo, checked with Turo and was surprised at the total cost of Turo vehicles. Rented a Toyota 4Runner for 10 days this September from Avis and it was $200 cheaper than anything comparable from Turo out of Bozeman, Mt.

intunegp

WKR
A guy I've hunted with a couple times has rented a truck at DIA and never had any issues. Hell the first year he came out he took it back covered in mud and with elk blood still in the bed and said nobody questioned him.

If you are a Costco member they have cheap rates from most major car rental companies through Costco travel and allow a second driver for free. Of course read fine print like others have stated but an awd suv or truck from them would be an option

Last edited:
Many hunts with rented vehicles, never been dinged. Usually through National rental car if possible but have used most of them.

I do end up in rental cars 20+ weeks year on average for work so it's possible they know it'd be bad for business to be dicks.