Vanes

Jotis

WKR
Aae Max stealth vanes or bohning heat vanes for fix blade broadheads

Last edited:
I’m sure they both work. I have shot both with no problems, max stealth a lot more. The vane and configuration kinda have to jive with the rest of your arrow set up. A lot of people shoot 3 or 4 max stealth with success.

I’m planning a 4-fletch build with the Heats as soon as my shafts come in. I’m generally not a fan of having to use the AAE primer pen.

@StraightWayOutdoors
Straight Way Outdoors, Fulcrum Archery, Elite Archery, Upwind Odor Elimination, Wicked Twisted Bowstrings, Pine Ridge Archery, Bloodline Fibers

Zac

WKR
I would definitely go with a 4 fletch with the Heats, there's not alot of surface area there.

Gorp2007

WKR
You can go AAE Hybrids and get the same geometry/performance but skip the primer pen. Once I shoot through the rest of my Max Stealths I'll be making the switch.

Reactions: Zac
If its between those 2...

Id go 4 Fletch with the Heats, then 3 fletch with the Stealths. The Stealths have a good bit of surface area for 3 fletch, a lot of people use 4. Heats are a MUCH stiffer vane. I believe the Hybrid 26 is the same shape/size as the Stealth if you are looking for more lick and stick that doesnt require as much prep. 4 heat vanes are 24 grains - still slightly less weight than 3 max stealths at 27 grains. 4 stealths are nearly 37 grains on the back of your arrow.

Ive used both though and I always end up back with the blazer shape though, just not the actual blazer. Too flimsy and loud. The Vanetec HD and the new version of the Easton Bully are a stiff version of the blazer. They arent quite as stiff as the heat vane, but definitely stiffer and quieter than the original blazer. The new Bully is made by Bohning and appears to be the same material as the Vanetec HD. I cant really tell them apart. That shape and profile just get the job done for me with fixed, mech and field points.

slamdmini

FNG
i needed a 4 fletch with heat vanes and fixed heads. right now im shooting 3 max stealth with 3 deg helical and fixed heads and they seem to be good

KyleR1985

WKR
Get as much offset and helical as your fletch tools allow. Use the amount of fletch needed to maintain stable arrow flight. I've found that an extra hour or two up front tuning bow and arrows, leads to less need for fletching surface area when things are optimal. But on a hunt with wind, adrenaline, uneven ground, and moving animals, you're right back to square one. I've used both fletches with small coc fixed heads. 76lb/30" 510gr arrows, 290ish fps. I've found four fletch with tac (2.25"), and heat, or 3 fletch with the max stealth is fine. I prefer lower profile fletch for many reasons. I can get enough offset and helical to get the arrows spinning and stable to put broadheads in similar size groups out to 80 yards, with any of those setups. I'm just starting to experiment with the tac vanes though, and like them so far.

Just remember, getting it to stabilize arrow flight with perfect conditions is one thing. Put some pressure on yourself when shooting, or shoot from an uncomfortable stance, or otherwise disrupt the ability to maintain perfect form. See how they shoot then.

I've had great luck with Max Stealths and about a 3 degree helical. Every fixed head ive shot has flown great so far.