Valuing tags

When first starting to pick up multiple tags (mule deer) across different states I valued harvest success over everything else. As the tags go by I’m finding myself choosing tags on this criteria in descending importance. Season dates (something that allows 5 full days of hunting at minimum), Public land (over my last few tags 40% seems minimum but I don’t have enough experience to be confident in that opinion) terrain type (I haven’t figured the low stuff out yet), deer population/biologist notes (much more transparent factual info on a units current productivity) and finally harvest sucess, im nearly ignoring harvest success this year and I’m hopeful for this year. What do you guys consider that I might be overlooking?

Season dates have started becoming more important to me, last couple early season hunts have been obnoxiously hot. Not only looking at public land % but actual access. I went on a hunt back in 2017 and the public land % was great, access looked good on OnX, but when I actually got there it was a real PIA to get to decent public and there was a lot of pressure.

I've hunted a unit that had 30% success rate and there was animals everywhere. I hunted an elk tag that was 60% success and you couldn't go anywhere without bumping elk. I counted 33 bulls the first two days. I don't understand how you couldn't not tag out unless you were being super picky. I don't really pay a huge amount of attention to them unless they're extreme now. If it's a 10% success rate then the population density is most likely really low.

Carlin59

WKR
I’d suggest being aware of pressure from other open seasons for a given unit (elk/upland birds/bear/moose/pronghorn/small game, etc), as well as recreational hiking pressure and presence is useful. Speaking from a Colorado resident viewpoint, I know of guys who thought they would have the woods to themselves for a 4th rifle buck tag, only to realize there were 100s of 4th rifle elk tags for same unit/time.

Scoot

WKR
Hahaha- I promise, it was a joke! Well... maybe not for Dan... :)

TaperPin

WKR
I must be an outlier, because almost all the metrics that have been mentioned aren’t even on my list - be careful using large group statistics to describe an individual or small group, because it will always be wrong.

Genetics matter - a nephew showed off his latest buck and thought it was on the small side and said, “It’s not anything like a big Greys River buck.” For his state and area it was an outstanding deer to be proud of.

I plan to hunt pockets that hold old deer - the statistics for how average hunters have killed average deer don’t really matter. Even the age distribution of the entire area doesn’t matter - only the deer in my pocket matter and there will never be a statistic on that.

Animal counts don’t matter - I only need one good one. Percentage of does doesn’t matter - I’m only shooting one with a hoo haw dilly.

Date doesn’t matter, other than I need to know they are in that pocket and not headed down to breed. Well, that’s not true - I much prefer warm weather.

I mostly hunt public land, but the percentage of private doesn’t matter, as long as my pockets are huntable.

How long the season lasts doesn’t matter, although it can change how the area is hunted. 2/3 of the largest deer I’ve seen were on ridges that are huntable only once and that pushes every deer into a different drainage. Some pockets are so small I would only spend one day there and move to another - it’s hit or mis.

Looking at any hunt area on a map, potential pockets are easy to see and quickly circled for round 1 - after an entire area is looked over, going back over them in round two will eliminate many - only then can a plan be made. Every part of what makes that entire hunt area interesting is summed up in that handful of pockets. Other hunt areas can similarly be summarized, and only then compared as to which to focus on first.

I think about areas that I will be able to hunt many times. These may be lower in demand units, but the ability to build a knowledge base about the area, animal locations and movement, access, hunter pressure, etc. over time has led to almost guaranteed success in this area for me every year i hunt it now.

OP
muleyapprentice
I must be an outlier, because almost all the metrics that have been mentioned aren’t even on my list - be careful using large group statistics to describe an individual or small group, because it will always be wrong.

Genetics matter - a nephew showed off his latest buck and thought it was on the small side and said, “It’s not anything like a big Greys River buck.” For his state and area it was an outstanding deer to be proud of.

I plan to hunt pockets that hold old deer - the statistics for how average hunters have killed average deer don’t really matter. Even the age distribution of the entire area doesn’t matter - only the deer in my pocket matter and there will never be a statistic on that.

Animal counts don’t matter - I only need one good one. Percentage of does doesn’t matter - I’m only shooting one with a hoo haw dilly.

Date doesn’t matter, other than I need to know they are in that pocket and not headed down to breed. Well, that’s not true - I much prefer warm weather.

I mostly hunt public land, but the percentage of private doesn’t matter, as long as my pockets are huntable.

How long the season lasts doesn’t matter, although it can change how the area is hunted. 2/3 of the largest deer I’ve seen were on ridges that are huntable only once and that pushes every deer into a different drainage. Some pockets are so small I would only spend one day there and move to another - it’s hit or mis.

Looking at any hunt area on a map, potential pockets are easy to see and quickly circled for round 1 - after an entire area is looked over, going back over them in round two will eliminate many - only then can a plan be made. Every part of what makes that entire hunt area interesting is summed up in that handful of pockets. Other hunt areas can similarly be summarized, and only then compared as to which to focus on first.
Although I don’t disagree, how do I find these areas that hold great genetics with tags I can draw somewhat often?

As many tags as I can draw, but most different states don’t over lap to bad since a few have short seasons. But I usually start hunting mulies in Oct and finish in Jan

TaperPin

WKR
Although I don’t disagree, how do I find these areas that hold great genetics with tags I can draw somewhat often?

When I’ve helped my nephew with his hunt areas in an unknown state I suggested we simply google different areas and look at the racks - not scientific, but quick and the results tend to match reality. Short forks and a weird splayed out flat shape seemed to be very common - not the best genetic choice, but tags were a giveaway and he is young. It’s not a big leap in logic to assume all the surrounding areas share the same genetics, so you don’t usually have to search for every area. All it takes is some time behind the computer - an hour per state would show a pretty good representation of what’s there. Of course you have to throw out racks from high fence hunts. Those taken on private land dont bother me, we’re only looking at genetics.

I’ll be the first to admit I can’t hunt big mulies in open rolling hills, brush covered hillsides, aspen pockets, or most sage covered foothills. My brain can’t connect the dots, as if I’m color blind to those situations even though friends kill some very impressive deer while riding around on 4 wheelers, so I’m pigeon holed to areas I do well in. That limits the types of areas I’ll even try to hunt.

One year I listed a horrible area as a last choice, but genetics just east of it were good, and that’s the only tag I drew - well, I didn’t even draw anything that year, but my wife drew. It’s rare to see anything there, let alone a good buck. For Wyoming it’s also a very small area and in one day can be driven to get a lay of the land. We covered it all and in a weeks time glassed the majority of it a dozen times without even a mediocre animal. In the most likely pocket, we kept at it and I was convinced we’ve seen every animal, but we kept beating the dead horse and turned up a very nice buck the last few days that was either in a hidden draw, didn’t move around until after dark, or moved in from outside the area. We were checked by a game warden and even he was impressed with it - it really was and is one of the worst areas in the state, but we only needed one animal. :)

TaperPin

WKR
I have no idea what Frank Church deer look like, but check out this first google page - most of them look like brothers. :) 3E634094-A759-4096-AC00-E34D6F325838.jpeg

OP
muleyapprentice
I think about areas that I will be able to hunt many times. These may be lower in demand units, but the ability to build a knowledge base about the area, animal locations and movement, access, hunter pressure, etc. over time has led to almost guaranteed success in this area for me every year i hunt it now.
I know I’m not utilizing this enough. I tell myself it’s because I have not found areas worth returning too, but maybe I’m convinced there’s always better

Mojave

WKR
Tap beer availability and access to a stripper pole.

Haha 100% joke but those actually matter to some people on "hunting trips".
A guy takes $1000 out at an ATM within the Moonlight Bunny Ranch and catches a venereal disease from a tractor seat and all hell breaks loose.