UTV Rentals

Apex

FNG
Not sure if this has been covered somewhere before, but I'm wondering about renting my UTV for specifically hunters to use when I'm not using it for my hunts. I have a 2017 800cc UTV that I basically use around the house and hunting trips, but was seeing how expensive they were to rent and was wondering what the forum thought a fair price to rent one would be, before I offer it up to people? I just got a new truck and very reluctant to take it through the sage brush, which got me thinking there is probably a lot of people in the same situation. If I offered, it by the week for $750 - $1000 with a trailer for hunters to take out do you think that is a fair price? I don't want to offer it as a recreational rental that people take out and run hard all day, but want to cover the maintenance, payments and insurance.

Thoughts?

I was actually looking up side by side rentals this morning for running the dirt roads that knock your teeth out in a pickup so I think there’s a market for it. Like mentioned above bump up your insurance and be prepared to spend more in maintenance but I’d think you’d come out pretty good on the deal.

I paid $800 to rent a side by side for a third season deer hunt last year in CO. I think it was an extra $100 if I had used their trailer. That was the cheapest I could find in Denver, but it was a pretty new model.

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
Pro tip: want to rent a utv? Go get a basic construction job site one from United rentals, sunbelt ect. It’s way cheaper and unless your going on some crazy trails and are willing to take your time and be careful they are very capable

DBuck

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Apex,
Did you ever end up renting out your side by side? I live down in Arizona and right next to a very popular utv trail and have been throwing around the idea of renting out my side by side. Thanks

M-Wig

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't say don't do this, but definitely look at the possible negatives. We have an equipment rental company. Dirt, aerial, etc. and have quite a few homeowner and small contractor customers. A lot of the same people that would rent a utv. I also rented a lot of utv's when I worked for a national rental company.

Like mentioned above, get your insurance in order. Make sure you know any taxes you'll be on the hook for. We pay a handful I'd never heard of before we started the company.

Know ahead of time that most people who damage your machine will not pay for it. It is best to not look at it as your personal machine. Just an asset to make you money. Helps with the anger over damage :)

They'll also keep it longer than they are supposed to and not pay you the difference. Get a gps tracker for when your customer or a stranger steals it.

If it breaks down or gets a flat in the middle of the night they'll be calling you to come fix it.

All that said, most rentals will go off without a hitch.

Don’t assume “renters” will treat it “good” like you do. Assume the worst and be happy when that doesn’t happen.

What if somebody has it booked for the week after you get it returned you can’t rend it because it’s needing parts/maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DBuck

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't say don't do this, but definitely look at the possible negatives. We have an equipment rental company. Dirt, aerial, etc. and have quite a few homeowner and small contractor customers. A lot of the same people that would rent a utv. I also rented a lot of utv's when I worked for a national rental company.

Like mentioned above, get your insurance in order. Make sure you know any taxes you'll be on the hook for. We pay a handful I'd never heard of before we started the company.

Know ahead of time that most people who damage your machine will not pay for it. It is best to not look at it as your personal machine. Just an asset to make you money. Helps with the anger over damage :)

They'll also keep it longer than they are supposed to and not pay you the difference. Get a gps tracker for when your customer or a stranger steals it.

If it breaks down or gets a flat in the middle of the night they'll be calling you to come fix it.

All that said, most rentals will go off without a hitch.
This whole thought started when my wife's brother in law was talking with her about his "side hustle" with Turo? Toro? Some app for renting out vehicles. He has done quite well with it this far...dang near has a 4runner paid off and just started renting out a recently purchased jeep.

When he started doing this I said he was crazy that people were going to destroy his stuff and somehow it hasn't happened. Matter of fact I was just doing some maintenance on his 4runner and was amazed at the condition it was in...and trust e if it got broken I would be hearing about it to help him fix it as he is not mechanically savy.

The wife wanted to try buying a jeep or a 4runner and follow suit but I thought for where our house is located and us already having a UTV that we should try renting it out. Less cost of a vehicle and I don't trash my UTV but dang sure put it to use and have been amazed...Seems like there's no hurting it...but I'm sure a renter would do their best to break it.haha

Appreciate all the responses.

I wouldn’t do it as a side hustle with my personal machine. I looked into it pretty extensively as a side business with dedicated machines, and it made sense prior to covid to some degree at scale, but I’d be hesitant to do it without all of the proper insurance. Most of your personal policy’s probably don’t have a provision for this scenario in place. We’ve rented several times, always entertaining to get the owners going about the stuff that gets wrecked.
Place we rented in West glacier had something like 8 Razrs, the day we rented 7 were in the shop due to customer damage.

DBuck

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like it may not be a good idea. Maybe in a perfect world. Wonder if it would be any better to advertise solely to hunters. AZ is quite the happening place for OTC deer hunts...unfortunately.haha