UT game management plan change

CorbLand

WKR
Why are you continuingly trying to reduce opportunity on this hunt. General season elk is one of the very few hunts designed solely to provide hunter opportunity.

You want quality cash in some points.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Didnt realize I was reducing opportunity by saying make it unlimited...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Utah’s issues start with letting the SFW get there foot in the door years ago from what a couple residents told me yesterday here in CO. They prefer hunting in other states rather than their own.

I’ve heard that argument where I bowhunt deer. The reason I started bowhunting was because of reduced tags. With over 700 deerhunter’s apiece for 2 different rifle hunts, G&F claims it’s for opportunity. The only opportunity I was seeing was the potential of being shot! And not seeing any mature bucks!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member

Rather than trying to end the multi season general tag. Try incorporating a program similar to dedicated deer where it costs 8 hours of service BEFORE being able to purchase a 3 season tag. That should reduce the numbers of those tags pretty significantly.

I see a choose your season option as a reduction in opportunity. An all season elk tag is 50+ days of opportunity to get in the field.

Limiting tag holders to a branch antler bull is again "limiting" harvest opportunity for which the general season was designed to provide. Any one worried about branch antler bulls should enter the limited entry draw. The entire reason for "limited entry" hunts was for increased quality.

Of course I'm for leaving well enough alone and not changing anything. Unlikely since SFW is pushing an agenda and that's all the board cares about.

CorbLand

WKR
Rather than trying to end the multi season general tag. Try incorporating a program similar to dedicated deer where it costs 8 hours of service BEFORE being able to purchase a 3 season tag. That should reduce the numbers of those tags pretty significantly.

I see a choose your season option as a reduction in opportunity. An all season elk tag is 50+ days of opportunity to get in the field.

Limiting tag holders to a branch antler bull is again "limiting" harvest opportunity for which the general season was designed to provide. Any one worried about branch antler bulls should enter the limited entry draw. The entire reason for "limited entry" hunts was for increased quality.

Of course I'm for leaving well enough alone and not changing anything. Unlikely since SFW is pushing an agenda and that's all the board cares about.

I would support a dedicated hunter program for elk but Utah DNR/DWR has said multiple times that they don’t want to take on the overhead/responsibility of another dedicated hunter program.

Getting rid of multi season would reduce pressure on individual hunts. It is purely social but it’s important.

Changing it to branch antler bulls only would allow for there to be bulls for next year. It would limit the number of young bulls killed, thus keeping them for next year. It has nothing to do with quality or wanting better quality.

One could and I would argue that leaving it the way it is reduces opportunity way more than anything that I have suggested.

Summary from the central region elk discussion:

20k permits, unlimited youth - passed 7-2
Extend general season any bull archery by 9 days. Will overlap youth hunt so orange is required - passed unanimously
Remove multiseason tags - failed to go to vote

I like the youth suggestion, it takes care of the heritage and opportunity reasonings. Still think they should keep the cap at 15k and remove multiseason.

And just to be clear, I have bought a multiseason for all 3 years it's been offered. But I think it's not doing us any good for the overcrowding issue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the summary. I didn't know they were considering extending general season any bull archery. Did that come from hunter input? Either way, I'm glad for that. Hopefully it will reduce some archery season crowding. I'm more of a first two weeks of season archery person.

The unlimited youth is a nice addition.

OP
UtahJimmy

UtahJimmy

WKR
The board voted (and passed) today to go to 17,500 tags and unlimited youth tags. They did NOT add the proposed 4 LE units into the general pool.

I think this is a YUUUUUGE WIN for sportsman. Thank you all for using your freedom to speak your mind.

The board voted (and passed) today to go to 17,500 tags and unlimited youth tags. They did NOT add the proposed 4 LE units into the general pool.

I think this is a YUUUUUGE WIN for sportsman. Thank you all for using your freedom to speak your mind.
That's great! Wish they would have added those limited entry units though...

Any word on the multi season tags?

So an increase of 5000 tags. Is that correct?

F

Fantastic! Thanks for putting this thread up and helping me be aware of it. I'm glad I was able to contribute!