Using Stone Glacier Meat shelf

How are you guys loading the meat shelf with boneless meat? Do you use the SG load cell dry bag? It says it can drain blood, but wouldn't it be better to have deboned meat in something waterproof? Thanks!

jmez

WKR
Put it in a contractor bag if you want it waterproof. I think most all of the meat bags are designed to drain.

tttoadman

WKR
I use the SG meat bag with cheap game bags. It can get a little small for a big deer. I plan to take a 55L bag for mulies and elk. I will keep the SG bag for blacktail closed to home.

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
Waterproof=no airflow=bad! Think fly-proof not water-proof...

The meat shelf works very well btw...

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For hauling, I just use game bags inside a white trash compactor bag. Then I cinch the heck out if it to get it tight to the frame.

OP
freebird134
Your allowed to mix brands. The Kifaru meat bags work great. They are long and narrow. Keeps the load from slopping all over.

I thought mixing brands was like mixing camo? not allowed!!!!! :)

I was just making sure we were talking about using a SG meat shelf, and not a Kifaru pack.

OP
freebird134
Who uses camo anyways? :)

For hauling I have been using 55 liter OR dry bags since 2012. They have worked well so long as the regs allow you do to debone the meat.

So you don't mind the lack of airflow that comes with a waterproof bag? How much does a 55l dry bag full of boned meat hold (I mean, the weight of the meat you can get in there)?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
So you don't mind the lack of airflow that comes with a waterproof bag? How much does a 55l dry bag full of boned meat hold (I mean, the weight of the meat you can get in there)?

It is only in the bag while I am packing the meat in my pack. Don't kid yourself. Even inside a packbag in gamebags or between the frame and the packbag not much is actually breathing either. Main thing is be sure to get it cool and breathing when your aren't packing it.

Most people aren't packing the same load of meat out mulitple days out of the field as most people even if packing an elk out means that 12 or so hours at a time in the pack at the most before taking it out either cause they are at the truck and go for the next load of meat or they are done after packing 100 pounds for 12 hours and need to make camp and recoup.

Can only think of a few times I packed the same load of meat for more than 12 hours that it was in my backpack before taking out of of the pack to air out and breath while I went back for the next load and setup camp. The meat was no worse for the wear, but its always well cooled and had been set out overnight either hanging or layed over brush in those instances.