Using a 2 point sling with an AR style rifle and a framepack...

Weber

FNG
I use 2 point slings on my AR style rifles and I prefer it honestly having the rifle slung in front of my while walking through brush.

Anyone figured out a good way to configure a setup like this that doesn't interfere with a framepack (using the KUIU Pro frame)? Its the one downside I've encountered is I have to run the sling up and over my load lifters which ends up putting pressure on my right side/shoulder. Alternatively I can put that pressure on the back/side of my neck which isn't ideal.

been considering switching to a single point sling and wearing it underneath the frame suspension but the weight distribution sucks and its difficult to adjust like this.

Last edited:

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by up over the load lifters unless your slinging over top of your pack which I would not recommend doing. I use eberlestock packs an F1 frame with F65 little big top pack and a few other goodies but for the time when I carried a rifle with a pack for a profession and now I always sling first then pack up. I use a vickers padded sling on all of my 15s and my 10 and recommend them to everyone I know in the market after using the same one for 5 years and 1000s of miles I swear by them now. A couple things to try if you dont already is switch the back end of your two point to the opposite side of the stock so for me being a lefty the back sling connection is on the left side of the rifle front on the right this will open up the pocket and not cause it to rub or put pressure on your neck as much as well as make coming up for shots easier and allow the rifle to lay flat. You can also try the magpul slings as well with the 2-1 adaptor if you want to try the single point setup. Haley strategic also makes one with this feature.

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
Those slings mentioned also have a quick adjustment slider to them as well so once you set the sling up to you with it tight you then only have to pull a tab back twords you to loosen the sling and have it ready to go. The way I set these slings up it I get into my kit that I plan to use most and then adjust the slider to the center I then adjust the sling to allow me to get a good shooting position that is tight with the sling but still achievable then once its adjusted I adjust the slider portion to make sure I have the maximum amount of travel to tighten the sling up further as well as enough to loosen the sling to make it easier for other movements with the rifle. A blue force gear RED swivel mounted to the rifle makes it quite easy to remove the rifle even with the pack slung I tend to only run a red up front and a standard anti swivel stud in the rear.

I’ve always just carried my rifle in my hand, but I can see why you are asking the question. You can sling your rifle two different ways so it is in front of you, one way will be barrel up, the other would be barrel down. With a pack on and going through brush I would say barrel down is probably preferred. If I am using a sling, I generally have the front point at the rear of the hand guard and the rear point under the buffer tube on the lower. It keeps the sling tighter to me and the rifle doesn‘t move around as much.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I just hang my bolt guns around my neck muzzle down without going under an arm. Not the most comfortable, and it does not stay in that position all day, but it provides a hands free option if needed as well as a change to mix things up.

If you design a sling with an adjustment on the forend side (mine adjust on the butt side) you could probably put it on like normal, then put your pack on.

Boltgun

FNG
Where are your sling connections on your rifle? That can make a huge difference.

I run QD slings with a Magpul QD socket end plate and a rail with a built in QD mount just forward of the upper receiver. This allows the rifle to sit comfortably at the low ready, and doesn’t interfere with a pack.

And as was said upthread, rifle on first, then pack. That way if you need to drop the pack to shoot off it’s faster.