Used exo mountain k3 or new k4 (I ended up with a used K3)

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Mark, question for you. Do you plan on marking down any k3 bags or the accessories for them once you release the K4?
No current plans. We will keep K3 inventory around to support the thousands of K3 customers that may want new K3 bags, accessories, or components over the coming years. There's a chance we do thin some K3 inventory in the future, but nothing is planned right now.

JD Jones

WKR
Understood you are asking about K3 v K4. Undoubtedly they are great packs. That said, you mentioned this is your first high end pack. Have you tried the EXO or any other options on with weight in them? You might want to consider it. Nothing worse than dropping 600+ blind to find there’s something you don’t like or that the frame just isn’t best for your body

OP
J

jbowlbs

FNG
Understood you are asking about K3 v K4. Undoubtedly they are great packs. That said, you mentioned this is your first high end pack. Have you tried the EXO or any other options on with weight in them? You might want to consider it. Nothing worse than dropping 600+ blind to find there’s something you don’t like or that the frame just isn’t best for your body
Both my father in law and brother in law hunt with the exo K3 and were who originally had me convinced but I haven't put them on with any weight. Same with the K4, I checked it out at the Portland sports expo but again didn't put it on with any weight.

Both my father in law and brother in law hunt with the exo K3 and were who originally had me convinced but I haven't put them on with any weight. Same with the K4, I checked it out at the Portland sports expo but again didn't put it on with any weight.
The nice thing about your position is if the k3 didn’t work great for you, buying used you’ll be able to get your money back if it came to that.

I have a k3 belt on my k2, it is very comfortable on my skinny ass, But I’m sure excited about the k4.

Sounds like k4 will be a good choice for most, and again, if by chance it wasn’t working great for you, you would be able to get most of your money back, and I think they have a trial period where you could send it back if you didn’t like it.

I've used the K2, now the K3 and will be getting a K4 when I can preorder one. That said...I have a K3 4800 in multicam (tall frame, medium belt) for sale if anyone is interested. PM me.

rclouse79

WKR
I was in a similar position and decided to go with the new k4. It is a big investment up front, but I am always impressed how well a high-quality pack retains value. Use it for 5 years and then sell it for 75% of what you bought it for. If you divide the difference between what you paid and sold if for by five years, it ends up being peanuts/year. I had a pack from a different brand that I beat the snot out of for 12 years and still sold for $275.

A used k3 would be tempting if it was in good shape, performed well for your body type and the price was right.

It really makes zero financial sense to buy a cheap pack. You suffer through five years of poor performance to end up with something that is worn out and has zero resale value. It ends up being more $/year if you do the math.

OP
J

jbowlbs

FNG
I was in a similar position and decided to go with the new k4. It is a big investment up front, but I am always impressed how well a high-quality pack retains value. Use it for 5 years and then sell it for 75% of what you bought it for. If you divide the difference between what you paid and sold if for by five years, it ends up being peanuts/year. I had a pack from a different brand that I beat the snot out of for 12 years and still sold for $275.

A used k3 would be tempting if it was in good shape, performed well for your body type and the price was right.

It really makes zero financial sense to buy a cheap pack. You suffer through five years of poor performance to end up with something that is worn out and has zero resale value. It ends up being more $/year if you do the math.
100% agree, I ended up talking to someone who gave me a good price on a K3 and it seemed to be in good condition so that's the route I'll be going for now.

100% agree, I ended up talking to someone who gave me a good price on a K3 and it seemed to be in good condition so that's the route I'll be going for now.
The only downside to that is you don’t get to fully appreciate the pack since you aren’t going to get the chance to pack something out with a crappy pack 😏

Now you’ll have to pack a couple of 150# loads out of some dark canyon if you want some war stories. Maybe borrow a badlands 2200 for your first load

I really wasn’t pack shopping, but I didn’t last many pages of the k4 thread before deciding I needed a new pack.

In my defense, I didn’t get a k3, but do have a k3 belt on my k2. I’m keeping that pack and unloaded all of my kifaru stuff to make room for the k4, which is a little crazy because my kifaru setup was legit, I just know I am going to like the k4 more, and they are a very easy company to want to support.

For real though, I’m done buying packs until Steve builds his super lightweight exo, I’ll be ready to spend some more pack money by then, and I’m not really an ultralight guy, but I know I’ll find a way to justify it, I’m pretty good at that… varsity for sure.

You’ll love that pack

rclouse79

WKR
I can’t say why, but my old pack was muticam and I grew partial to it. I know it doesn’t matter, but I could see selling my k4 bag if I didn’t take too big of a hit if they ever did a special run of multicam.

I can’t say why, but my old pack was muticam and I grew partial to it. I know it doesn’t matter, but I could see selling my k4 bag if I didn’t take too big of a hit if they ever did a special run of multicam.
My skeleton (k1) was multicam, and agree, only pack i have had in that color and was my favorite color pack… go figure

Only camo i would really want on a pack, not that I’m picky, but I would likely buy one if they did a run… good excuse to buy a 5k bag to go with my 3600

Tradchef

WKR
I’d get a used K3 to start. You’ll be able to get one at a great price on here soon and you can put it through its paces. If you love it keep it and enjoy it. If you like but you want the latest and greatest after then upgrade and sell the k3 when you are ready to do so. I’d rather save money for tags if I wasn’t 100% sure. The k3 is proven so I don’t think you can go wrong. 🤙🤙

My exo gen 1 in multi cam was lucky too, I had a couple really good years when I had that pack… I think my k4 is gonna be lucky too, I think I’m setting myself up well this year to fill all of my major tags (blacktail, roosies, a merriam, at least one lion, and going to let my daughter fill my fall bear tag)

I wish I would have kept my first exo, it hauled a lot of meat. I believe I called this lion right after I got it, and kept the role going

Attachments

• 18BE1468-2166-4CBF-B3DE-E7765920370C.jpeg
    18BE1468-2166-4CBF-B3DE-E7765920370C.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 30

Dobie07

FNG
In case anyone else was researching and debating this option. I went with a K3 and thus far am very happy. Put it thru it’s paces on a recent backpack shed hunt and it performed flawlessly.

Attachments

• IMG_2052.png
    IMG_2052.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2053.png
    IMG_2053.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
Reactions: ZDR