Upgrade binos or spotter?

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
I went through somewhat of the same issue and ended up spending money in the wrong place.(cheaper spotter that I ended up upgrading anyway to a better one that I don't use that much anyway) It wasn't until a couple years back (after I had purchased a good spotter) that I realized the value of using a tripod with binos for glassing. Like Mag7_S stated, quite amazing how much more functional and effective the tripod makes binos. I have good binos,spotter,tripod now but rarely even carry my spotter for deer.

My recomendation would be 100% to put your money towards the best binos you can afford (it's the optic you use the most anyway) and pair them with a good tripod before buying a spotter.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
Hey all,

New to Rokslide and looking for advice/opinions.

I went on my first rifle mule deer hunt last year and absolutely loved it. I currently run a pair of vortex viper 8x42’s but felt a little under-glassed last year and was hunting in an area where a spotter or bigger binos would have been beneficial.

My question is, would you upgrade to a pair of 10’s or 12’s or keep the 8x42 vipers and run a spotter? Or something else entirely?

Looking at a budget of $1500 to upgrade my optics this year.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
My $.02

Used high end 12x50 Binos on va5 head will outspot mediocre Binos + Spotter

Honyock

WKR
Upgrade the binos and get a tripod. Even with a 10x42, the difference between free handing and using them off of a tripod is substantial. You can hunt without a spotter a lot better than hunting without good quality binos.

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
I’d take high end binos over pretty much any of my other hunting equipment.

I have a 33 power spotter, a 60 power 85mm spotter, and 18 power binos. 9 times out of ten I take the 18 power binos and a tripod

For my style of hunting in south dakota I like running 10x42s, and pull out the spotting scope for better detail on animals a mile or two away. I think 10x42s strike a perfect balance between zoom level and weight, with 8s not having enough zoom, and 12s being bulkier and having too much zoom in some cases.

Most of what I hunt is river breaks and rolling prairie, so mostly picking out an anomaly at far distance with binos, then pulling out the spotter for more detail. We cover a lot of open country here, often with low densities of game, so I don't spend a lot of time in any one spot. I bought a pair of Tract Toric 10x42s from their outlet a few years back, and they've been great for what I do. My next optics investment will be an upgraded spotter, but it really depends on what your primary hunting style is and the type of country you hunt

Pick up some high quality binos (10x or 12x) first, since you be will using them 85-90% of the time to initially spot game. Don't shy away from a good deal on a used set. RS Classifieds is a great place to purchase used. Do your research and due diligence. Unless you are a hard core trophy hunter and have the $ a mid price point 65X or 85X spotter would get the job done. Don't forget the tripod. Save up for the spotter.

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
I had a spotter for a season and sold it. Took up too much pack space and I hated looking through one eye. 12x50 binos with a tripod and never looked back.

Another vote for upgrading binos. Integral and used much more then spotter glossing. Both here in the midwest and out west looking for high country muleys. Tripod for glassing is definitely recommended as well.

I have a new pair of Vortex Kaibab 18x56’s that I’m looking to sell - if you’re interested, shoot me a PM!

Get some 10 x 42 binocs for all purpose glassing. I use vortex diamondbacks with no complaints. If I had some money to upgrade my head would spin from the options out there!
I use a vortex diamondback 20 -60 x spotter on high country deer hunts but I could get by without it. Have yet to try binocs on tripod but if I was buying stuff now I would hookup nice 10 or 12 x binos on a nice tripod and get a kowa spotter in a year or two. Good luck in your quest!