Updated Gear List Thread

Here is my new gear list. Feel free to comment and critique!

Pack: Kifaru BT1 *Custom cut* 6 lbs
Medium belt pouch/Grab it/Horizontal lashing strap
MSR 4 L Drom-lite for bladder
Gen2 Hanging meat bag

Pack System 6 lbs 8 oz

Sleeping Bag: Kifaru Woobie 1lb 4oz
Sleeping Pad: Klymit Static V 1 lb 2 oz
Ground Sheet: Borah Bivy 8 oz
Shelter: MLD Duomid 22 oz (8 MSR Groundhogs included)

Sleep System 4lbs 4oz

Food
7 day hunt I have about 1.5 lbs food per day, carrying around 10.5 lbs. It'll be homemade trail mix, tuna packets, tortillas, PB Bacon honey tortillas, dehydrated meals from home, granola bars etc etc.
Backcountry Boiler 8 oz
Sea to summit spoon 1 oz

Food 11lbs 1 oz

Hygiene Kit:
toothbrush
Travel toothpaste
Dehydrated sea to summit soap
Small rewetting contact drops
Spare set of contacts
MSR Camptowel
1/2 roll of TP in a ziplock
Mini Deodorant stick

Hygiene Total: 8oz

First Aid Kit/Survival
Quick clot gauze
3 4x4 gauze patches
Super Glue
Neosporin packets
Alcohol Wipes
1 Pair of Rubber gloves
Assorted pills (Ibu, advil, etc)
Mole skin
6 Zip Ties
Duct tape
Spot 2
2 Bic Lighters
4 AAA Lithium Batteries
2 AA Lithium Batteries
Cotton Balls/Vaseline
Emergency Whistle
Map
Compass

First Aid/Survival 1lb 6oz

Kill Kit:
Lone Wolf Landslide
Lone Wolf Sharpener
5 Caribou Game Bags 24x28
1 pair rubber gloves
1 3mm Contractor trash bag
1 25 ft paracord
1 50 ft paracord
Marking ribbon wrapped around a pen

Kill kit: 1lb 9oz

Clothing *Not worn in*
Goretex Paclite rain coat in AP
Exefficio boxers
1 Pair Smartwool Merino socks
Kuiu Merino Beanie/Guide Beanie
Kuiu Guide Gloves
Kuiu 230 Merino top

Clothing 3 lbs

Misc Gear

1 32 Oz Nalgene
Zlite short cut in half for seat
Carmex
Garmin Dakota 20 GPS
4 Mouth Diaphragm calls
1 Elk Bugle
Aqua Mira Drops
3 Coffee Filters
Black Diamond spot headlamp
Contour HD HeadCam and Extra Battery

4 Lbs

Bow: Strother infinity with the usual accessories, I carry 5 arrows and no extras in the pack.
Scott Mongoose Release

6 lbs 8 oz

What I wear in:
Kuiu Merino 180 top
Kuiu Attack Pants
Kuiu Gaiters
Merino Smartwool hikers
Saloman Quest 4d's
Kuiu Baseball hat

This list may even change somewhat because with my partner we may just carry 1 stove, 1 first aid kit, so on and so forth.

Without my optics on my chest or the trekking poles in my hand the pack weight is 43 lbs 3 oz. This number includes 6 lbs for water. Total carried weight is 47 lbs 12 oz. This includes trekking poles and optics on my chest.

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Nope. Going just blanket+pad. I won't be needing the bivy because I'll have camp with me the whole time. And under the tarp pitched tight to the ground I won't need a bivy for the extra protection.

What expected temps and time of year are you looking at??

Wish I could get away with just a woobie up here, but it can freeze/snow in June/July even. :D

OP
ohhiitznik
What expected temps and time of year are you looking at??

Wish I could get away with just a woobie up here, but it can freeze/snow in June/July even. :D

September use in Colorado/Idaho
high 20's low 30's at night. I'll be sleeping in all my clothes as well incase it gets too cold. And I don't get cold easily as it is. I know most people say the Woobie is good to about 40 degrees. I'd be willing to bet I could take it into the 20 degree range and still be comfortable.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
September use in Colorado/Idaho
high 20's low 30's at night. I'll be sleeping in all my clothes as well incase it gets too cold. And I don't get cold easily as it is. I know most people say the Woobie is good to about 40 degrees. I'd be willing to bet I could take it into the 20 degree range and still be comfortable.

Gotcha....be sure to test it out prior to going in 10+ miles from the trailhead. :D Personally I prefer an extra pound for a warmer sleep system and more weather/bug protection than sleeping in my clothes for a week, but to each their own. I'm sure the system will work great for your needs.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
Nice list ohhiitznik. It may be a good idea to bring a down bag and bivy to keep in your vehicle if the woobie isn't enough. I hunt colorado in September as well (10500-12100ft) and my woobie and pad are not enough (I tried it). I can do it but I do not sleep well. My list is similar but I bring a bivy and marmot helium 15 degree bag. My two cents anyway. In 2009 we were hit with 8 inches of snow and three days of teens and twenty degree temps.

OP
ohhiitznik
I'm a rare breed. I can wear shorts when its 40 and be ok. When I duck hunt in freezing temps I collect the decoys with my bare hands in ice cold water and I don't have problems... And I hate having to roll around and get dressed in the morning.

OP
ohhiitznik
Gotcha....be sure to test it out prior to going in 10+ miles from the trailhead. :D Personally I prefer an extra pound for a warmer sleep system and more weather/bug protection than sleeping in my clothes for a week, but to each their own. I'm sure the system will work great for your needs.

Yeah, in Alaska I would want the bug protection. But in CO and ID I didn't have any problems with bugs at elevation or during the time frame that I went. I also could take along some Sawyer bug spray if it got too bad.

The woobie is my puffy for glassing. I'm bivy hunting, not backpack hunting.

so do you plan to be glassing out of the shelter or are you rolling up and strapping on your pack before daylight?
sorry, i guess im not totally sure of the differeneces the terminology implies
btw the list seems pretty dialed in for your needs

OP
ohhiitznik
so do you plan to be glassing out of the shelter or are you rolling up and strapping on your pack before daylight?
sorry, i guess im not totally sure of the differeneces the terminology implies
btw the list seems pretty dialed in for your needs

Everything is on my back before daylight and I'm hunting and moving with everything all the time. I drop camp where I stop for the night. If I do hike up on top of a ridge I can wake up and glass out of the shelter. If I do end up leaving my camp in an area, the woobie will still be with me all the time. The only thing I would leave at camp would be the shelter and extra food. That probably won't happen though, as I would want the shelter in case of weather or an unexpected stay.

OP
ohhiitznik
No spotter or tripod?

Negative. The area's and hunt plus my style of hunting don't warrant the weight or use. I can glass all the basins I hunt with my binos. I'm not looking to judge scores of bulls. If I see they have legal size horns I'm chasing them. If I was going early season for muleys I would take one. But for late season archery elk in the peak of the rut I don't ever use one.

OP
ohhiitznik
Yeah Nick , what about the german ? Did you ever get even a thank you note ?

He did say "Danke" The communication barrier made it hard to convey anything. But you could tell by the look in his eyes that he was grateful. HE did keep saying "Das ferd, danke das ferd." Which I later found out meant "thank you horse." Lol oh, and its spelled "pferd" in german.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
Ohhiitznik,

Just read your pack out post. I retract what I said above. I think you'll be good with just a woobie and a saltine cracker for seven days. Damn dude! Well done. Way to put Hans' well being before anything else. "Der Clydesdale Pferd". :)