Unfilled Tag on Guided Sheep Hunt

BrentVA

FNG
I’ve hunted sheep in Alaska, NWT, British Columbia, Alberta and the Yukon. All guides hunts and before the costs skyrocketed. I hunted stone sheep twice unsuccessfully in British Columbia. We hunted hard for 14 days two years in succession. I saw rams on both hunts but never found one over 7 years old. I had the same very experienced guide both times. I had my wife with me on both trips she was hunting for elk, moose and goats separately out of another camp. We were able to kill a nice mountain goat each. I still think about those hunts and wish the outcome was different for sheep anyway. In the long run I was able to take a fannin ram in the Yukon so I have 3 of the 4 North American sheep.

T1ippo06

FNG
I never thought I'd see where a BC Stone's would cost as much as a Desert ram hunt at Tiburon, La Palmosa, La Guardia, and some other high-end locales down in MX. I've been very fortunate and "10 for 10" Rocky in Hell's Canyon OR 2009; Dall's 2012 Yukon; Fannin 2013 Yukon; dark Stone's northern BC 2014 ($35,000 base fee); Yukon Stone's 2015; Fannin & 64" moose Yukon 2016; Rocky Hell's Canyon ID side 2018; La Palmosa Desert ram 2018; Dall's Yukon 2022: Cali Bighorn Unit 40 Owyhee ID Sept 12, 2023. All stateside tags drawn as non-resident in the random draw. I also was lucky, again, to get a 72" wide moose in the Yukon Sept 29, 2023.
I consider myself fortunate to have mentally/physically prepared...and we "not just me" were successful...some hunts went to the late afternoon of the second to last day.
Upon reading so much about how the success rate has plummeted, and the populations in certain areas have plummeted in AK...I just don't know if I'd risk paying for an expensive backpack/trekking expedition. But I'm in my 60's now and try to shift the odds in my favor as much as possible.
Now I think I'll focus more on fishing, as I can get a nice 22' Open Fisherman rigged out to fish the LA marshes/northern Gulf Coast...for the cost of these sheep hunts these days. It is getting beyond even my pay scale.

I’ve hunted sheep in Alaska, NWT, British Columbia, Alberta and the Yukon. All guides hunts and before the costs skyrocketed. I hunted stone sheep twice unsuccessfully in British Columbia. We hunted hard for 14 days two years in succession. I saw rams on both hunts but never found one over 7 years old. I had the same very experienced guide both times. I had my wife with me on both trips she was hunting for elk, moose and goats separately out of another camp. We were able to kill a nice mountain goat each. I still think about those hunts and wish the outcome was different for sheep anyway. In the long run I was able to take a fannin ram in the Yukon so I have 3 of the 4 North American sheep.
I hunted the Northern Brooks Range last year. ( A Guided Hunt ) And even though my Sheep Tag went unfilled. I did connect on a great Artic Grizzly and a great Caribou. ( my partner did connect on a great Dall, along with another great Caribou ) Along with that I was rewarded with opportunity to spend time in some of the greatest country I've ever layed my eyes on. And with the trip of the lifetime. No regrets.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ Best of luck this coming go round! You'll be ahead of the curve this time knowing exactly what you're getting yourself into :D

Hunted the Alaska range this past August and didn't see a legal ram. The outfitter called me on the way to the airport on the way up there to tell me they weren't seeing any sheep and forecast was for low clouds for foreseeable future and I should strongly consider Grizzly hunting or I was most likely going home empty handed. I appreciated the honesty but had my mind set to sheep hunt that area while I still can. Don't regret my decision one bit. It was a physically and mentally challenging hunt and I very much enjoyed it. Still missing my Dall but got in to Ravens Throat on a cancellation so fingers crossed for this year.
Congratulations on finding a 2024 hunt. Good Luck ! I'll look forward hearing the report this fall.

ssgjpd

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted Alaska this past year and did not get a sheep. Seen plenty just no legals rams. The outfitter/guides worked their butts off to find a legal ram for me. It just wasn't meant to be and I did take a big artic grizzly. I would have no hesitation with booking with this outfitter again for any hunt.

As I look to continue my dall sheep quest and explore new country, I am booked with Lancasters in 2025.

T1ippo06

FNG
Hunted the Alaska range this past August and didn't see a legal ram. The outfitter called me on the way to the airport on the way up there to tell me they weren't seeing any sheep and forecast was for low clouds for foreseeable future and I should strongly consider Grizzly hunting or I was most likely going home empty handed. I appreciated the honesty but had my mind set to sheep hunt that area while I still can. Don't regret my decision one bit. It was a physically and mentally challenging hunt and I very much enjoyed it. Still missing my Dall but got in to Ravens Throat on a cancellation so fingers crossed for this year.
You are very fortunate to get a cancellation with Griz and the Ravens Throat crew. Back when Dave Dutcik (spelling?) had it as "Redstone" they hardly hunted 1/3 of the area of the huge concession...it's still got plenty of rams for those who are in shape, can shoot, or don't mind paying to move via helo more than once. If you or anyone on this thread can send me a PM/DM, I'd like to know the range of costs 'for a cancellation hunt for sheep in NWT or the Yukon'. I do have 'an inside connection' for one of the Yukon outfitters for any cancellations as I've paid for regularly-scheduled as well as cancellation hunts with them for sheep-five combined so far. I don't plan to go back to BC at this point.
Best, Y'all.

aoudad

FNG
Hunted Alaska this past year and did not get a sheep. Seen plenty just no legals rams. The outfitter/guides worked their butts off to find a legal ram for me. It just wasn't meant to be and I did take a big artic grizzly. I would have no hesitation with booking with this outfitter again for any hunt.

As I look to continue my dall sheep quest and explore new country, I am booked with Lancasters in 2025.
Good deal, I’ll be at the Lancaster’s in 25’ also.

I hunted 10 days in ANWR, Alaska Unit 25 in 2021, hiking over 65 miles. The guide and I bumped three rams (1 legal ram) on day 5 and didn’t get a shot. We saw sheep every day but mostly younger rams, ewes, and kids.

Never one to quit at anything in life, I am already rebooked for 2025 in the same hunt area with the same outfitter!

Being very blessed and lucky, I have also drawn an Arizona Nonresident desert bighorn sheep tag this year with 14 NR points in the Kofa NWR outside Yuma. I have hired an experienced AZ outfitter/guide. The training, workouts, and target practice continue daily. So thrilled and ecstatic!

Best of luck to all who pursue any of the bighorn rams and mountain goats in the most scenic, rugged, and wild places in the world.

God please continue to bless America, Tom a/k/a TheGrayRider.
IMG_7301.jpeg
Postscript: The Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep hunt was a success. Kofa NWR, Unit 45C (late), guided, Day 5 of 10 day hunt. 13 NR points. December 2022. Very blessed, grateful, and thankful.

Heading back to Alaska in August 2025 to try for a Dall again. Never quit. Best of luck to all mountain hunters and their outfitters.

When you get a free moment, read the excerpt of Theodore Roosevelt’s speech “To the Man in the Arena,” April 23, 1910, Sorbonne, Paris, France. You’ll be motivated!

Happy hunting, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.