Unexpected Visitor At Our New House

strousek

WKR
We just finished building our new house and moved in about a month ago. Now the house is new but we have had the property for a long time so very familiar with the wildlife habits there. Our house is on the CO front range and generally known for a good amount of rattlesnakes. Yesterday I was working in the garage when all of the sudden the dogs started causing a ruckus out front. Once I heard them barking and chairs knocking over I sprung out yelling "you better not have found a rattler!" Well to my surprise there was a baby bob cornered by our front door.

I quickly got the dogs in the house and inspected the little fella. He sure was skinny and had what I thought to be two huge ticks by his eye. He seemed exhausted and wanting to get out of the heat. He laid on the porch in the shade and watched me change the oil in my trucks for about an hour and then all of the sudden I looked up and he was gone.

With as skinny as he was I'm guessing that he has lost mom and not the best at hunting yet himself. Definitely took me by surprise. If he comes back I will probably call CPW to get him some help.

Attachments

• 20240623_152733.jpg
    20240623_152733.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 418
  • 20240623_154417.jpg
    20240623_154417.jpg
    811.6 KB · Views: 418
  • 20240623_154508.jpg
    20240623_154508.jpg
    652.5 KB · Views: 418
Those do look like some engorged ticks to me as well. I've never seen ticks on my buddy's barn cats that roam 250 acres of public land unless the cat was sick or injured. I agree you may want to call CPW and see if they think it needs to go to a rehab outfit.

tony

WKR
Had an old stray cat at my apt complex we all adopted and took care of.
She had a tick like that on her head. She was normally friendly and most of us would let her in to warm up or cool off depending on the weather.
Me and another guy pinned down to get that tick off. After we put on cathart jackets and leather work gloves in the July heat. :LOL:

Better just call for the pros with that little one.
Hope you can get it help.

OP
strousek

strousek

WKR
Update... Little Bob came back last night and hid in the corner of the garage behind some more shovels. Old "Stink Eye" just picked her head up off the concrete and gave the most pathetic half assed bark and went back to sleep. Guess she figures he is part of the family now. I put a call into our local district wildlife manager that I know really well and left a VM asking what they would do. I agree with Fullfan that if they are just going to kill the little fella there might be a better answer.

Attachments

• 20240624_180548 (002).jpg
    20240624_180548 (002).jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 95

Catchfish

WKR
I’ve heard of a guy who had 2 lynx kits he kept as pets for a few years he couldn’t keep them caged they were real smart at getting out. I think you should just keep feeding him and turn him into your garage cat. He will help keep the varmints around the house cleaned up.

If it gets comfy around the house, it wouldn't hurt to get it vaccinated, even if the vet had to come out to your place. The last you want is for it to get rabies and get "extra" friendly with the family.

It looks like it's got some kind of issue(s), if it was healthy it wouldn't be around your place...I wouldn't let my dog or family anywhere near it...probably needs put down.

JeffP_Or

WKR
Is there a wildlife rescue outfit in your area?
This suggestion for a wildlife rehabilitation place is a good one. Our fish and wildlife are consistently euthanizing wayward wild kittens/cats around developed areas - they recognize they will be forever dealing with animals accustomed to humans. A wildlife rehabilitation might give it a chance if it is healthy - and release it appropriately.
Our OSP Fish & Wildlife guys are pretty good about dealing with them and getting them to rehab over ODFW - not sure if CO has separate enforcement divisions.
PS We need an update photo on Stink Eye and how she is getting along with this.....;)