ultralight bivy recommendation

I have a cimmaron and mama liked it ok but would prefer something keep bugs off. Though about a nest but when I look at the weight I wonder if should jus get or try to find two realy light yet waterproof bivys or at least one that has a waterproof bottom and water resistant top. then for solo trips or quick trips with my son by a silex and run the bivys. Any ideas I have never really run a bivy

OP
B
awesome thanks was also looking at the MSR e bivy so can also use under a tarp solo. I will check out the bug bivy thanks a bunch

Yep, as mentioned, the borah is super light. Only thing one has to be ok with is the net on your face. Maybe you can rig up a light flex line from the net to the inside of the Cimarron to pull it off your face.

They are uber light.

OP
B
just saw the borah isn't waterproof that could be a concern shoud water get under the floor less tent someone mentioned the katabatanic. I probably messed up the spelling

Poser

WKR
After much deliberation, I recently acquired a MLD super light bivy with the cuben fiber floor upgrade. I like the half moon zipper feature quite a bit vs slide in access. It’s 5.5 oz, waterproof bottom, resistant on top. Similar purpose in that I use the bivy in combination with various tarp setups for both the purpose of some additional protection in the event of heavy weather, or to sleep without a tarp in the event of no weather as well as to add a little extra warmth and to contain my sleep system as I toss and turn quite a bit.

3forks

WKR
I don’t know the dimensions of the Cimarron, but I have an HMG Ultamid 2 and have run both an Enlightened Engineering Recon bivy and also a Borah Cuben bivy.

If keeping your wife comfortable is your main priority, I’d consider the nest. Splitting the weight of the shelter and nest between two people is something you’ve probably already considered - but that’s what I would recommend.

Running a bivy inside a mshelter isn’t an issue unless you are trying to keep the mesh off your face or feet. I’m tall, so it’s probably a bigger issue for me - but I can’t really use a stick (I’m an archery guy so I’ve tried to use arrow shafts too) because the angle of the tent wall doesn’t allow me to get a line high/tight enough to get the mesh off my face (feet too with the recon).

You can get pre-made adhesive patches with a loop sewn in that would allow you to not need to use a stick inside your tent and just use the patch on the wall - but it’s still not ideal (at least for me). I’m never really uncomfortable and don’t use the bivy 95% of the time. But, since you mentioned keeping your wife comfortable- I thought I’d add a couple of points to consider.

I also have a cimmeron and have the 1/2 nest, also a borah bivy. I have used both and both work great (borah is water proof) When I go solo, I take the borah for my one man, when the wife goes I take the nest. Nice to have the room to throw our bags in one side and gear on the other. Figure a borah bivy is about 6 ounces each. 12 ounces for two. Nest is 26 with the stuff sack so let’s say about 24. Is the comfort to move around worth 12 ounces to you? For me it is if we are hanging out in the tent when it’s buggy and not trapped in the bivy.

OP
B
makes sense I am glad to hear the borah is water proof. another reason leaning toward a bivy is potential for increased warmth. Mama is cold sleeper. I will more then likely pick up a silex for solo hunts or just my son and I in warmer weather or fishing trips.

makes sense I am glad to hear the borah is water proof. another reason leaning toward a bivy is potential for increased warmth. Mama is cold sleeper. I will more then likely pick up a silex for solo hunts or just my son and I in warmer weather or fishing trips.

Great minds think alike. The silex is my solo tent.

the bivy will add no warmth, at least not the borah bivy. You are better off the investing in a liner or warmer bag.

here are a couple pics of my two tents

1589486908984.jpeg

1589486932085.jpeg

1589486973477.jpeg

ridgefire

WKR
I have a TI Goat Raven Omni bivy that I use with a Kifaru Paratarp that world's great. The bottom is waterproof, it has a bug netting and it zips pretty much all the way open. It's really light and if I remember right it wasn't much more than $100.

Much better than a tarp. If the two people don’t mind getting cozy it’s possible. I would fit two with the wife but it might be a little close for comfort for my hunting buddies. Two legged, the 4 legged hunting buddy in the pics would fit just fine.

OP
B
Awesome thanks guys! need to get me a silex and a couple bivy for my son and I for fishing pack trips this year hes only 12 so we should fit just fine if not take the cim.