Turo - yes, no or maybe?

Yes. I have had good experiences. Especially when renting at “ peak “ times vs rental companies or going to touristy areas.
I have rented a few Jeeps and pick ups that were far less than from a rental company.
Only advice is to make sure the pick up/ drop off is clearly described and you are not waiting to meet someone.

Gone4Days

WKR
I will NEVER (never ever ever) use Turo again! Used it once for a trip to NW Arkansas. Rented car and drove from airport to house and back. Hardly used it. After the trip we left a 5 star review. After the review posted, we got a message from the host saying that we left pet hair in the car and he needed to charge us a $153 cleaning fee! We did not even have a pet with us. He uploaded photos of about 5-10 total pet hairs in the car. Turo backed the host and they ripped us off for the cleaning fee. Nothing I could do. I could not update or change review. I bitched to CS at Turo and the basically told me too bad. I quickly cancelled my debit card after going online to read similar stories from people who complained about the cleaning scam and then ended up with charges for damage after fighting the cleaning fee. Go on reddit or youtube there are a ton of bad experiences on Turo.

NEVER AGAIN. Already deleted my account. Screw them. Here are the photos of the “excessive pet hair”:

Attachments

• C62CB289-72E5-4F99-BC59-DB54237D6BC7.jpeg
    C62CB289-72E5-4F99-BC59-DB54237D6BC7.jpeg
    512.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 882B0027-D043-4292-A57E-3B83174A1F35.jpeg
    882B0027-D043-4292-A57E-3B83174A1F35.jpeg
    464.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 62902074-92E3-4AF6-A950-26E4BD8FE274.jpeg
    62902074-92E3-4AF6-A950-26E4BD8FE274.jpeg
    317.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I've had Turo hosts that are very particular about the cleaning just like the pictures above which can be annoying. Overall though my experiences (about a dozen) have been much better than any with rental agencies and I'll choose Turo every time. I would say I'm skeptical about renting any vehicle more than a couple years old. The insurance is a gray area and getting coverage through Turo is expensive.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
There are times in life where our perception of our level of risk and the resulting self-insurance costs are not in sync with reality. Turo falls into this realm. Much like an Uber driver having a wreck then becoming aware the car insurance is voided during commercial activities. Most Turo rentals go smooth. Most Uber drivers do not have accidents. But, the number of times each day it goes sideways for some participants is nonzero.

OP
Go West Old Man
After looking at both Turo & car rental options from the traditional car rental company that I prefer to use , I decided to give Turo a try. Rental car company car availability options were limited to mostly Toyota Corolla size cars. Also a couple hundred in savings including purchase of Turo full insurance. Wanted a little more comfort & interior space than what rental company had available. Secured a Turo rental for a midsize “premium”(?) SUV with airport pickup & supposedly owner present handing over the keys. Per one review & experience reported here, in addition to going over the car’s condition prior to taking the keys I’m gonna make sure they see that we don’t have a pet with us! Thanks.

Gutshotem

WKR
After looking at both Turo & car rental options from the traditional car rental company that I prefer to use , I decided to give Turo a try. Rental car company car availability options were limited to mostly Toyota Corolla size cars. Also a couple hundred in savings including purchase of Turo full insurance. Wanted a little more comfort & interior space than what rental company had available. Secured a Turo rental for a midsize “premium”(?) SUV with airport pickup & supposedly owner present handing over the keys. Per one review & experience reported here, in addition to going over the car’s condition prior to taking the keys I’m gonna make sure they see that we don’t have a pet with us! Thanks.
How'd it go? Any issues or would you use them again?

OP
Go West Old Man
How'd it go? Any issues or would you use them again?
Well, we had to cancel or vacation last September due to an unexpected medical emergency that kept us home , but got through that all fine. We’re actually leaving Friday to basically make up & take the same vacation. Have a Turo rental reserved. I’ll let you know when we get back. 👍