Turkey Vest vs Day pack?

bdg848

WKR
I use my mystery ranch pack. The big thing I like the pack for is carrying a hydration pack, putting the turkey in the meat hauler for longer hikes out, everything is kept tight and compact, and number one is setting the pack against a tree as a supported back rest.

Although, I might buy some pouches for the waist belt to put calls in because i'm tired of them bouncing and swinging in my pants cargo pockets.

jtmarchi

FNG
Bow hunting for turkey leads me to use a pack to carry all my stuff out. Most I'll use in a day and if my boy is with then that just leads to more stuff until he can carry more of his own.

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
What is everyone doing for a seat pad that dont run a turkey vest? That is the only reason I have a vest, its nice having the seat attached and able to be quickly flipped up outta the way.

What is everyone doing for a seat pad that dont run a turkey vest? That is the only reason I have a vest, its nice having the seat attached and able to be quickly flipped up outta the way.
Browning MC Strutter Chair

Two things about chairs that I'm not liking is they take longer to fold up for moving around and they tend to require flat land.

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
Ya a I'm not hauling a chair around for the miles I put on during a typical day turkey hunting!

Jimss

WKR
I just returned from a Wyo hunt. I was on my feet hiking most of the day....running and gunning. I was super glad I had my full sized Kifaru pack when I harvested a tom during the last light of the day. I had a couple decoys, large tom, shotgun, and other misc gear to haul around 3 miles out. As I've mentioned before, a pack designed for hefty loads is a lot more comfortable all day....for several days than a small pack with the same load. Also, when it's time to pack out a tom it's certainly nice having a solid, comfortable frame, belt, etc.

One thing I've learned is it's super nice to have a pack capable of large loads for my style of gobbler hunting. There's been several times I've actually had to pack 2 toms out of the hills. Anyone that has packed a large tom out of remote locations knows exactly what I'm talking about. If you are close to a road/truck a vest may work but for large hauls it certainly is nice to haul gear and turkeys in and out of remote locations. I chose a bag for my kifaru with quite a few outside pockets that makes it quick and easy to access gear.

scwilso35

FNG
I hunt in the east, so my situation may be much different. I bought a bino harness this year and (so far) it has ample storage for me, even with binos. In my state we have to be out of the woods by 1:00 and we are hunting relatively small properties, so not much need for a ton of gear. I am able to carry a couple locator calls, and a couple diaphragm calls. Planning to buy another pouch that should easily secure a box call. Never use pot calls much. Other than that, a butt cushion clips to my belt loop, shells go in the gun, and water bottle goes in a cargo pants pocket. No decoys unless I'm hunting from a blind on a field edge. Been working well for me so far.

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
I see no point bringing a backpack when you can fit most everything you need for turkey hunting in your pockets or a bino harness. When it comes to the odd time you actually kill one I can suck it up and haul the whopping 20lbs over my shoulder! Or rig a simple turkey tote from rope/paracord and sling the bird over your shoulder.

Like i said I use a vest but only for the seat, the only thing in the pockets is one slate call and a couple extra shells. I've tried just rigging up a butt pad to my belt but never figure out a good way to secure it without flopping all over.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
I was a backpack all the way guy. But over the last few days chasing mountain birds some type of hybrid system that still has the butt pad would be nice. Like most I’ve picked up some of the vests in the stores and shook my head at how heavy they are.

cb122

FNG
I’ve ran my MR Pintler and Tenzing Day pack with this seat attached to the webbing on the bottom of the pack. Has worked well for me the past 10 years.

If I’m running a Fanny then I just take it off and strap it around my waist as well.

dank

FNG
Is a butt pad on a vest really that much better than running a pack with a glassing pad? I mean, take pack off sit down on glassing pad. Badda boom badda bing. Am I missing something?

OP
BoltActionBrotherhood
Alright guys, so Last year I gave the turkey vest a try and I liked a lot of things about it, but it was bulkey etc. But If you are running and gunning and just posting up under a tree with no blind I saw the appeal.
NOW I just picked up the Sitka Turkey vest...... This thing Is awesome, Works great for any time of turkey hunt I am doing, nice and slim while running and gunning, and also has like a backpack built in for when I am turkey hunting with my kid where I can bring a water blatter and goodies etc.
Highly recommend the Sitka turkey vest, I think I will use it for a lifetime.

FWIW, I use my Final Rise upland bird vest (mine's all tan with no orange) in the spring for turkey. Plenty of room for everything I want to carry around, and I don't need to get an extra piece of gear just for turkey hunting. I see he is now also marketing a specific turkey vest - which appears to be the normal vest with a little seat pad included. I just put an old z-pad or a klymit blow up pillow in the bird bag so sit on. The bird bag also works great for a collapsible decoy or two. Cheers.

Margoot

FNG
Vests. U need all those calls handy when u can't move around much and unpacking a backpack can be troublesome when u run and gun. Get one with a seat on it u won't regret it.