Turkey Season Apr 10-15???

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone know of a state you can turkey hunt in the week after Easter (Apr 10-15)?

My brother and I want to do a public land, DIY to work on our Turkey Slam. We live in IL and we've only ever harvested Eastern Turkeys, so we're looking for Rios or Merriam.

Don't know if I can swing an Osceola hunt yet as we're trying to save $$ by doing a DIY public land hunt. I just assume any FL hunt I'd be more successful to pay for a private land hunt.

Looking at TX, but doesn't seem to be a lot of public land.

OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Call Dan at www.doubledtrophyoutfitters.com in Nebraska. Lots of Merriams. May still be bow season then, but you can use bow or crossbow. Merriams arent hard to kill. Chadron Nebraska.

Thanks, I've looked at these guys for muleys.

For turkey though, I want to stay away from guided hunts. If I'm going to spend money, it will be on a big game species (muley, elk, moose).

Really the only guided turkey hunt I'm looking at is Oceola's because they're only in FL.

Colorado opened April 9 this year.

Nebraska archery was March 25 with shotgun opening on April 16.

Kansas has a similar structure.

If I was going to travel across the country for a turkey hunt, I would pay an outfitter.

hobbes

WKR
If you are headed West, you're less likely to deal with cold and snow in May.

dtrkyman

WKR
Colorado opener was a complete chit show last year, ran into more ignorant hunters in a few days than the other 30 plus years I have been hunting combined!

There are birds, everyone knows where they are and with the roads all closed still it is quite a mess.

Problem was I tried hunting way back in and pretty much hiked past all the turkeys to get there, so had to hunt near access and it was busy!!!

hobbes

WKR
You are looking at Texas, Colorado, South Dakota, California if you want something besides an Eastern or Osceola that early. Montana changed last season to a set date of April 15 or it would have been on the list. I believe Wyoming bumped back even further.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Colorado opener was a complete chit show last year, ran into more ignorant hunters in a few days than the other 30 plus years I have been hunting combined!

There are birds, everyone knows where they are and with the roads all closed still it is quite a mess.

Problem was I tried hunting way back in and pretty much hiked past all the turkeys to get there, so had to hunt near access and it was busy!!!
Co has a math problem when it comes to Turkey hunting… 30k turkeys and 120k Turkey hunters

dtrkyman

WKR
If I remember correctly a local told me they are required to buy a turkey tag with all their licensing, is that true? Would explain the ridiculous pressure!

I have hunted many turkey destination states and see less pressure!

Hnthrdr

WKR
If I remember correctly a local told me they are required to buy a turkey tag with all their licensing, is that true? Would explain the ridiculous pressure!

I have hunted many turkey destination states and see less pressure!
No we don’t get it with our other tags it’s separate, but it’s 30 bucks for resident, 100 or so for non resident and a lot of OTC area with not a lot of Turkey density, good Turkey spots are mostly draw units and take a few years to hunt

dtrkyman

WKR
Non res turkey 160 plus habitat stamp 10$.

Not too bad not really cheap either.

Iowa is really proud of their turkey tags!!!