Turkey in georgia

Ickle1979

FNG
Need some help, guidance, with turkey hunting. This is my first year.
I was out early yesterday morning all set up and waiting for the sun to rise. I started to here a gobble on my right and on my left, very excited. Now after some time the gobbles started sounding like the Tom's getting farther away, every call I made and got a response, but Google seemed to get farther away. So should I have done something different?

RMM

WKR
I was out early yesterday morning all set up and waiting for the sun to rise. I started to here a gobble on my right and on my left, very excited. Now after some time the gobbles started sounding like the Tom's getting farther away, every call I made and got a response, but Google seemed to get farther away. So should I have done something different?
If I had to guess by your description it sounds like they had hens that were leading them away. Killing a gobbler with hens is tough. The best success I've had is mimicking the exact calls the hen is making to try to piss her off. I would say maybe one third to one half the time it works out and she'll lead the gobbler right to you.

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
No. They were likely following their hens. How close were you where they roosted? If they answered me I would've stayed put and waited for them to come find me. They will likely come looking for the lonely hen once they're finished taking it to pound town. What part of GA are you in?

OP
I

Ickle1979

FNG
If I had to guess by your description it sounds like they h
No. They were likely following their hens. How close were you where they roosted? If they answered me I would've stayed put and waited for them to come find me. They will likely come looking for the lonely hen once they're finished taking it to pound town. What part of GA are you in?

ad hens that were leading them away. Killing a gobbler with hens is tough. The best success I've had is mimicking the exact calls the hen is making to try to piss her off. I would say maybe one third to one half the time it works out and she'll lead the gobbler right ok. Thnx.

OP
I

Ickle1979

FNG
I live northeast corner of monroe county. Maybe 100 to 150 yards from where they roost. On my neighbors property, can't hunt that.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Patience. Sit right there or come back in a few hours and call sporadically into
the early afternoon.
My son's first bird took 5 hrs,,after he left with a hen.
He came right back after he got done with her.

Patience. Sit right there or come back in a few hours and call sporadically into
the early afternoon.
My son's first bird took 5 hrs,,after he left with a hen.
He came right back after he got done with her.
Flathead is right. Once she goes to nest he will come looking for you.

OP
I

Ickle1979

FNG
So today around 1000, I spotted a Tom in my neighbors pasture. So I figure try some calling on a box call. Started with a few yelps. No response, So I figured try a cackle, he responded to that with a few gobbles and then made his way to the trees. I tried a few yelps again and he kept on going. Another cackle didn't even do anything. Maybe my calling is off or something?

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
So today around 1000, I spotted a Tom in my neighbors pasture. So I figure try some calling on a box call. Started with a few yelps. No response, So I figured try a cackle, he responded to that with a few gobbles and then made his way to the trees. I tried a few yelps again and he kept on going. Another cackle didn't even do anything. Maybe my calling is off or something?
I doubt it's your calling. He most likely has hens with him and it doesn't matter what you do, you can't compete with the real deal.

OP
I

Ickle1979

FNG
I doubt it's your calling. He most likely has hens with him and it doesn't matter what you do, you can't compete with the real deal.
No hens in sight, but doesn't mean they weren't close by. One day I'll get him. Any suggestions on a few ways to call to him?

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
No hens in sight, but doesn't mean they weren't close by. One day I'll get him. Any suggestions on a few ways to call to him?
Get a comfy seat and pack a snack. Be willing to sit all day. He may decide to come over to you or he may not. Call softly every 20ish minutes. Sometimes it's enough to keep him interested, sometimes it isn't. Was he gobbling or did you see him strutting or was he just cruising through? If he was just silently strutting then he likely had hens within sight, you just couldn't see them. I'm down by Columbus and it was very foggy today. They were quiet on the roost and I heard three gobbles within 100 yards of where I was hunting. Never saw the tom. That's just the way it is. Very rarely does it workout like TV where they come charging in. The bulk of the time they do the opposite of what you think they will. Friday I had one hung up at 70 yards with 4 hems 15 yards from me. I figured for sure he was going to close and once he stepped within 60 yards, he was dead but he never did. That's just the way it is.

OP
I

Ickle1979

FNG
Thnx for the info.i will put it to use. He was just gobbling, causing through.

In that situation, you could try gobbling back at him. I've had intermittent success with that getting them interested in a fight. I'd use caution though on public land, particularly if you're using decoys. I've got the Flextone Thunder Gobble. I blow into it like a feeding mallard call. Gets some responses.

Sometimes I think a lot of Toms may be bisexual.