Tundra cam tower leak

Crusader

WKR
^^^^^Thanks. Was asking because next year I'll be in the market for a used one (pre-turbo engine) and that would be a model year I'll be considering.

OP
ODB

ODB

WKR
^^^^^Thanks. Was asking because next year I'll be in the market for a used one (pre-turbo engine) and that would be a model year I'll be considering.

I have seen guys with this issue going back quite a while.

I just got a call from the service desk and while they were timing the truck on reassembly the tech did not like the way the timing chain tensioner was working so they replaced that as well.

I told them keep it up by next week you’ll just be dropping in a new engine ; -).

It affects from 2007-2021 with the 5.7 V8. When looking at used ones your bigger consideration is what models have tech features like adaptive cruise technology, and interior changes.

Surprised yours developed it at 20k and even more surprised there was an issue with the timing chain tensioner. Glad it’s all covered under warranty.

Mine is an 08 with 142k and all I do is change the oil and fill the gas tank. No cam tower leak.

GLB

WKR
So far on my 2018 tundra I get leaks from the oil pan. They had to replace the gasket when I bought it new. It’s leaving a few drops on the ground again and will soon have to have them take care of it.

Reactions: ODB
OP
ODB

ODB

WKR
It affects from 2007-2021 with the 5.7 V8. When looking at used ones your bigger consideration is what models have tech features like adaptive cruise technology, and interior changes.

Surprised yours developed it at 20k and even more surprised there was an issue with the timing chain tensioner. Glad it’s all covered under warranty.

Mine is an 08 with 142k and all I do is change the oil and fill the gas tank. No cam tower leak.

I’ve seen several guys having the issue at 8k.

The problem is if I said screw it and sold the truck…what would I buy? I don’t really like the new tundras and I can’t bring in a Series 70…

True that. I was just talking a little crap. I actually just converted to the tundra the other week. Got mine for a steal so I can’t be to mad about the future cost of the repair.

I’ll take it over having the turbos go out and consistent manifold cracks in the F150 any day.
Funny you should mention that....I'm at 155k on my 3.5 Eco and just now needing exhaust manifolds. Found a guy that will do it for half the dealership quote.
Overall, I've spent much less money and have a much better vehicle than the Tacoma I drove for 9 years.
On the road, the F150 feels brand new.

Duh

WKR
Funny you should mention that....I'm at 155k on my 3.5 Eco and just now needing exhaust manifolds. Found a guy that will do it for half the dealership quote.
Overall, I've spent much less money and have a much better vehicle than the Tacoma I drove for 9 years.
On the road, the F150 feels brand new.
Hopefully the bolts aren’t snapped off in the engine block. That’s happened every time I’ve replaced them on a F150. Both cracked at different times under 80k. That truck was smooth though and a hell of a off road ride.

ikeG

FNG
Hopefully the bolts aren’t snapped off in the engine block. That’s happened every time I’ve replaced them on a F150. Both cracked at different times under 80k. That truck was smooth though and a hell of a off road ride.
Exhaust manifold bolts/studs snap off and are left in the cylinder head, not the block. Hopefully anyone getting new ones get the updated design with more studs.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Exhaust manifold bolts/studs snap off and are left in the cylinder head, not the block. Hopefully anyone getting new ones get the updated design with more studs.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk
That's exactly what I'm concerned about.
I bought upgraded manifolds- BD Diesel manifold kit.

Finch

WKR
I bought my 2016 Tundra with 60k miles in 2019. I knew about the cam tower leak going in and my truck had it. It was a certified used Toyota and I made them put it in writing that they would fix the issue on their dime. I got the truck back home and had a local dealer fix it. No issues since and I now have 115k miles on it.

Reactions: ODB
OP
ODB

ODB

WKR
I bought my 2016 Tundra with 60k miles in 2019. I knew about the cam tower leak going in and my truck had it. It was a certified used Toyota and I made them put it in writing that they would fix the issue on their dime. I got the truck back home and had a local dealer fix it. No issues since and I now have 115k miles on it.

Good for you - that was a brilliant move to get it in writing.