ttsx 168gr or accubonds factory ammo for a 300wsm

h8brick

FNG
NOT SURE IF IN RIGHT CATEGORY ,BOUGHT A KIMBER MONTANA 84OO AND WILL BE BUYING FACTORY AMMO FROM GUN BROKER SINCE NOTHING ON SHEVES AT RETAIL STORES, MY QUESTION IS FOR EXPERIENCED MULE DEER HUNTERS USING A 300 WSM WHAT AMMO DO YOU RECOMMEND IF NOT WHAT I AM LEANING TOWARDS PLEASE LETS HEAR IT , WHAT IM NOT INTERESTED IN IS I USE A 6.5 CREED AND MY 243 IS AWESOME , JUST 300WSM GUYS THAT HAMMER MULEYS ,SPECIFICALLY THIS GUN IS FOR MULEY HUNTING ONLY THANKS

I have used both in different 30 caliber cartridges, for factory my Rem 700 300WSM prefers 180 gr Accubonds. I have used 180 gr. Accubonds in my 300 WM and 140 gr Accubonds in my 270 WSM for caribou. In my .308 and .30-06, both of them shoot the Barnes factory TTSX in under an inch and the .06 has taken caribou with the 168 TTSX. I have been happy with performance from both bullets and go with the one that groups best in my gun.
As far as reloading, I have rounds worked up for both of my 300 WSMs to test in 165 gr. TTSX (wanted 168 but couldn’t find them) 165 and 180 gr. Accubonds. If the TTSXs group good, I’m probably goin that route just due to availability right now.

The Barnes Vortexx Factory ammo for the 300 WSM is really good, but it's 165gr TTSX. I believe it goes about 3050 and groups really well in my gun, but I can get 'em going faster with handloads. I think this would be a good mule deer round I've 3 or 4 elk with it. I also like 180 accubonds.

The 165gr. TTSX is all I shoot anymore out of my .300wsm Montana. Never killed a muley with them, but plenty of other stuff from sitka blacktail and sheep to moose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You never specified a range, which would help give you more specific answers. Personally I'm a Barnes fan as well, and I wouldn't have any issues using anything of theirs between 150 and 190gr out of a 300WSM. I've used the 150gr TTSX out of a 308 for elk, so backing down to the TSX would give you blistering speeds and a pretty flat trajectory out to 400yds or so and would still be plenty for mulies. The 168 will give you better ballistics for marginally less speed, and will start to overtake the 150 around 450-500yds. I don't see a ton of benefit in the 180gr TTSX since the 175gr is a minor drop in weight for better ballistics and terminal performance. Anything heavier than that isn't really necessary for deer.

There are a few TTSX factory loads from various manufacturers, the LRX will be much harder to find in factory loads. However, I emailed Barnes at the end of last year and they said they're going to aim to get 300WSM loads of their Vor-TX/Vor-TX LR out before fall this year, so that might be an option.

I load the TTSX168 for my mod70 in 300wsm. I have killed 1muley, 2 Sitka black tail , a few whitetail and a bunch of hogs.
Barnes brass reloaded from factory ttsx165
Rem LR mag primer 9 1/2
RL 15 @60.0 grains
Coal 2.890
Factory gun except for the trigger and a muzzle break shoots .75-1 MOA with solid repetition

Last edited:
I load the TTSX168 for my mod70 in 300wsm. I have killed 1muley, 2 Sitka black tail , a few whitetail and a bunch of hogs.
Barnes brass reloaded from factory ttsx165
Rem LR mag primer 9 1/2
Rl17. 60.0 grains
Coal 2.890
Factory gun except for the trigger and a muzzle break shoots .75-1 MOA with solid repetition
No offense, but that seems like a pretty light load

No offense, but that seems like a pretty light load
Looks like it's *just* below the starting load Barnes shows for RL17. It's probably still going faster than what the 168's do out of my .308, so probably no shortage of oomph nonetheless.

Dang my bad.... RL 15 @60.0 grains. NOT 17.
I corrected last post.
423 yds is my furthest kill with that gun. Sitka black tail on Kodiak island.
The 127 gr LRX in a 6.5x284 are hammers too.

Dang my bad.... RL 15 @60.0 grains. NOT 17.
I corrected last post.
423 yds is my furthest kill with that gun. Sitka black tail on Kodiak island.
The 127 gr LRX in a 6.5x284 are hammers too.
Nice. I've never tried RL15 but I use a lot of RL17.

I shot the 168 ttsx and Win760 in 2 prior 300 wsm’s and still have a Montana but use the 155 Scenar in it.

my newest custom 300 wsm is throated for vld’s and likely won’t ever see a factory round or a bullet less than 200 gr since my Montana shoots the 155’s so well.

NOT SURE IF IN RIGHT CATEGORY ,BOUGHT A KIMBER MONTANA 84OO AND WILL BE BUYING FACTORY AMMO FROM GUN BROKER SINCE NOTHING ON SHEVES AT RETAIL STORES, MY QUESTION IS FOR EXPERIENCED MULE DEER HUNTERS USING A 300 WSM WHAT AMMO DO YOU RECOMMEND IF NOT WHAT I AM LEANING TOWARDS PLEASE LETS HEAR IT , WHAT IM NOT INTERESTED IN IS I USE A 6.5 CREED AND MY 243 IS AWESOME , JUST 300WSM GUYS THAT HAMMER MULEYS ,SPECIFICALLY THIS GUN IS FOR MULEY HUNTING ONLY THANKS
Not an expert muley hunter but have seen 300 wsm often on my quest for other calibers since your post. Check online retailers if your still in the market.

If you can, get some of both to test. Whichever one shoots better in your rifle. Both would be a solid choice for muleys.

Back