Trucks?

Three on my list im looking at and wanted some opinions.
Daily driver,hunt,camp and haul family around,one 16 and one 13 year old so usually just the 13 year old and wife.I dont tow much but could in the next few years,maybe a tractor or side by side 6-8 times a year.
Im looking at a tundra dc long bed,tacoma dc long bed and f250/350 dc short bed or single cab.
All would have a camper shell and be keep mostly stock without a bunch of crap,maybe a 2-3 inch lift but probably keep the stock tire size.I dont like tires crammed and i dont want to regear.
The tacoma would be the best for daily and also get the best mileage but really would tow shit.
The tundra would tow the sxs and tractor but the tractor would be working it.Tundra gets a little mow tow capacity and way worse milage.
The gas(6.2)f250/350 would be the most expensive and get close to the tundra in millage and tow every thing.
I know the tacoma needs more power but thats how im leaning.Maybe just buy a cheap older 1 ton to use around the farm if i go that route.
I would like to keep 8 years and my budget is 35000,seems stuff is coming down and im not in a hurry.

tony

WKR
I've pretty much ownedF150s so that's all I know.

I own a '21 Ranger and highly recommend it if your looking at small/mid size. Rated for 7700 pounds towing. Ecoboost is awesome, I get 23-25 mpg.

Pdzoller

WKR
I have a tundra and drive a f250, f350 and Tacoma for work. For me the Tacoma is way to small. The fords turn worse than a school bus but are great if you are towing. I absolutely love my Tundra for just about everything. It doesn’t tow anything close to what the f250 is capable of. It’s definitely a good Jack of all trades but master of none.

Don’t overlook an f150 with the 3.5 eco boost. I have one with the hybrid engine. I like it but wouldn’t do it again.

Ecoboost will tow what you’re looking to easily, get good gas mileage not towing, and the motor has been around long enough they have the bugs worked out.
Had a 2013 tundra and liked it but the mileage was terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pn8hall

WKR
I am on my second tundra. 1st was an 08 and current is a 21. They are both double cab long beds (8ft bed). Absolutely love them. Campershell on both and carry 500 lbs of tools daily in them. The 08 got an average of 10.1mpg and my 21 gets 11.4. Stock on both but did go up a little in tire size without a lift. Tundra for the win and dont look back!

Pdzoller

WKR
I am on my second tundra. 1st was an 08 and current is a 21. They are both double cab long beds (8ft bed). Absolutely love them. Campershell on both and carry 500 lbs of tools daily in them. The 08 got an average of 10.1mpg and my 21 gets 11.4. Stock on both but did go up a little in tire size without a lift. Tundra for the win and dont look back!
My 2017 tundra gets 16 mpg while towing my camp trailer over the mountains. Not sure why yours are that bad on fuel? What motor do you have?

If you think a Tacoma gets better mileage than a real pickup, I have news for you....
My 2006 4.0 with a 6sp manual wouldn't break 17mpg unless it was falling off a cliff and I tried everything to hypermile it.
Between that, the serious engineering deficiencies and Toyota's complete unwillingness to admit the leaf spring and frame rust issues, I would never consider a Toyota again.
An F250/350 with a gasser will get you the same mpg as a Tundra and will do actual work.
Whoever made the comment about turning radius...Yeah, you get used to backing into parking spaces.

I run an f150 for work and personal. I would put that in your running as well. I have the 5.0 and the ecoboost. They both get about the same gas mileage but the ecoboost will pull my camper better. Its fun to drive and can go in the mountains. I have a locking rear diff and the short box so it climbs decent for what I use it for. My hunting buddy has a tundra and it is always fun when we both have to drive to a spot. He is always calling me asking when we can fill up. Usually he is on a 1/4 tank when I am on half or 3/4. The tundra is a beast though and looks way meaner then my F150. He took it in some pretty rough stuff a few years back when I had my 3/4 ton. Another point on 250/350, the ride is not as smooth or comfortable as a half ton. My wife tells me that every time she gets in my F150. If you don't need the 250/350 towing power or cargo capacity, go with a half ton.

Pn8hall

WKR
My 2017 tundra gets 16 mpg while towing my camp trailer over the mountains. Not sure why yours are that bad on fuel? What motor do you have?
My guess is its the 8ft bed and 38 gallon fuel tank on the 21. The 08 was an 8 ft bed as well but only had the 26 gallon tank. The 600 lbs of tools carried daily probably does not help either which was carried in both trucks. Both trucks have the 5.7 in them.

I have a Ram 1500 with 5.7 and 3:92 gears. Mileage is fair - 15 around town, 19-20 on a good long run. Tow a 19' Skeeter walleye rig frequently, and tow a diesel tractor + attachments + trailer combo that goes 10,500 or better together. Tons of power. Drives very nice. I have the full crew, 5.7' box model. Can load 5 adults in it easy.

So far it has been a great truck. Works well for my use profile. Wasn't the biggest Ram fan, but they were offering a small business fleet pricing special when I bought it, which brought the price down 3,500, so couldn't say no to the price. Figured if it was a POS I'd trade it back in before it was out if warranty. But, I like it enough that I'd buy another.

I drive a lot of Fords for work: F150 with a 5.0, F350 with 7.3 gas, and F550's with various diesel offerings. They're nice trucks too, but I like the Ram better as far as 1/2 tons go. Too many personal friends had lots of trouble with the Ecoboosts for me to try one, but maybe they have the bugs worked out by now?

I've generally been a Toyota guy, but the Tacos were a bit small for my needs, both familial and towing, and I wasn't thrilled with the MPG and a few other things on the previous version of Tundra. I'm sure they're both great trucks, though. Too bad Toyota didn't do the 5/8 ton with small Cummins diesel instead of Nissan.

Last edited:

Pdzoller

WKR
What size camp trailer are you pulling with a tundra to get 16 in the mountains? That's uphill too?
20’ trailer. 4.6 engine. Completely stock pickup. I sadly have the smallest fuel tank though. Mileage was from western Oregon to eastern Oregon and back.

F150 and 250 here. 150 gasser and the SD 250 is a diesel. If either couldn’t pull 600 pounds of tools and get better then 11 mpg, I’d sell them. No offense meant. And, it ain’t flat here.

Honestly, guys like what they like. And recommend it based on that. But, the truth is people don’t pay attention to gearing’s importance in the trucks they buy. That’s what is going to determine mileage with it without a load. And your mileage in terrain.

The brand nor the motor isn’t that different in output across all makers. It’s the gearing that matters.

A .373 in an 1/2 ton all around truck is going to be the best of both worlds. And work easier in terrain and towing than the .320’s standard for flat ground fuel mileage testing in 1/2 ton trucks.

If you buy a work truck, it’s likely going to have gearing for its intention. So, comparing their abilities against a half ton is not really accurate. They are going to eat more fuel. They are going to tow things better. Etc…. Because of the differential gearing.

It sounds to me what fits your needs best is to aide the 1/2 ton trucks with gearing that better serves towing in your environment. Or buy a bigger truck with gears for work and deal with less mileage. That’s the compromise. However, Flatter ground makes the distinction less important.

Consider your needs in the terrain you plan to use it and buy accordingly.

F150 and 250 here. 150 gasser and the SD 250 is a diesel. If either couldn’t pull 600 pounds of tools and get better then 11 mpg, I’d sell them. No offense meant. And, it ain’t flat here.

Honestly, guys like what they like. And recommend it based on that. But, the truth is people don’t pay attention to gearing’s importance in the trucks they buy. That’s what is going to determine mileage with it without a load. And your mileage in terrain.

The brand nor the motor isn’t that different in output across all makers. It’s the gearing that matters.

A .373 in an 1/2 ton all around truck is going to be the best of both worlds. And work easier in terrain and towing than the .320’s standard for flat ground fuel mileage testing in 1/2 ton trucks.

If you buy a work truck, it’s likely going to have gearing for its intention. So, comparing their abilities against a half ton is not really accurate. They are going to eat more fuel. They are going to tow things better. Etc…. Because of the differential gearing.

It sounds to me what fits your needs best is to aide the 1/2 ton trucks with gearing that better serves towing in your environment. Or buy a bigger truck with gears for work and deal with less mileage. That’s the compromise. However, Flatter ground makes the distinction less important.

Consider your needs in the terrain you plan to use it and buy accordingly.
Good post.

I agree with the importance of gearing. I get the lowest that's offered. You gain a lot on towing with authority, and with 8 and 10 speed transmissions, you don't even give up that much in MPG.

JDMBEND

Lil-Rokslider
Just bought a 17’ Tundra Limited, 80,000 miles, paid 30k. New, similar equipped was double in price.
Based my decision on giving up some fuel milage for Toyota reliability.
If my needs change and need to tow over 5000 lbs, I will buy a different pickup.

Fatcamp

WKR
We have a gas 2017 F250. Very happy with it.

Tundra doesn't have enough capacity for us, and Tacoma will be cramped for traveling with kids and dog. I DD a 4runner though and really like it.

tony

WKR
If you think a Tacoma gets better mileage than a real pickup, I have news for you....
My 2006 4.0 with a 6sp manual wouldn't break 17mpg unless it was falling off a cliff and I tried everything to hypermile it.
Between that, the serious engineering deficiencies and Toyota's complete unwillingness to admit the leaf spring and frame rust issues, I would never consider a Toyota again.
An F250/350 with a gasser will get you the same mpg as a Tundra and will do actual work.
Whoever made the comment about turning radius...Yeah, you get used to backing into parking spaces.
Truth here! I had an 09 6sp and could never get above 18 mpg. Even changed the running gear fluids to synthetic thinking that would help.
This ranger I have, 23-25 all day. Of course in town driving at this moment, around 19.