Truck problems, new engine or new truck?

Brought my 07 f150 to the shop to have the vct solenoids replaced. When the mechanic took off the valve covers he noticed significant wear on parts bad timing etc. He suggested a new engine. So now I'm thinking of shopping for a new truck rather than putting a new engine in.

I've never bought a new vehicle and not excited about doing it now but I can't justify spending 20k on a truck with 100k miles. Where do you start when shopping for a new truck? Any recommendations for getting not getting screwed in the process would be greatly appreciated

BobbyMac

Lil-Rokslider
What were the symptoms you were having? I would get a 2nd opinion from a reputable Ford mechanic who specializes in timing jobs for the 5.4 3V. At 100k you shouldn't need a new engine unless you got major oil starvation from a blocked oil pickup...from the plastic parts to your timing chain guides falling into the oil pan. All 5.4's will eventually need a timing job and improved Melling HV oil pump. Even if you had to replace your cams...still cheaper than a new engine. If you haven't looked up Fordteckmakeuloco on YT....he's the best Ford mechanic out there and has a ton of stuff on the 5.4 3V.

Super tag

WKR
You might end up chasing repairs at this point, I’d buy new while you can, parts are becoming harder to come buy as well, Short term cost vs. long term cost…if you invest that money in the motor, it doesn’t make it worth more on paper, you still have a 15 year old truck with high miles.
I can see both sides of the argument but I’d be hard pressed to put that kind of money in an older truck, that’s just my opinion. My son in law took that route on a 2013 f350 and he is at near 20k to date, truck is still wore out. That’s 30% the cost of a decently equipped new truck.

Roy68

WKR
I Echo others. Get a 2nd opinion.

I have an 05’ 5.4 3V with 275k+ miles. It is a ranch truck. It broke a chain tensioner/guide around 200k. I did the work myself to include new cam followers, vct’s, melding oil pump, tensioner actuators, chains, cam phasers, plugs, etc etc. All of the major parts were OE FOMCO. My memory is that I spent around $1800 in parts. I already owned all the tools and bought the few specialty timing tools.

As another said, fordtechmakeuloco on youtube. Took me 3 days to do the work with all the interruptions.

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
20K??
Get a new/remanufactured Jasper - they've made a lot of improvements to the inherent issues with the 5.4 3v.
I pretty sure I could have a local mechanic stick one in for about 6K.
VCT solenoids was about a 30 minute job on my '04.
Definitely 2nd opinion.

$20k is ridiculous for a gasser. You're talking diesel money there so definitely get a second opinion.

If you're going to shop for a new truck, start on Cargurus or autotrader and be willing to drive a few hundred miles for the best deal. Used trucks are super inflated right now as are new trucks. Choose a brand/model with the best/least depreciation and then find the best financing. My buddy just got into a brand new Ranger crew cab at the local dealership with 0% for 5 years plus oil changes for life. There are deals to be had if you have the time/patience to shop around.

Good luck!

grfox92

WKR
A replacement used engine for your truck should be not a dollar more then $1500. And it's less then a days work to pull the old one and put in a new one. Make sure you mechanic is good and locks out the cam phasers on that 5.4 and you have a 300k mile truck. This job should not cost more than $3,000-$5000. If you buy a brand new truck that's 6 months worth of payments.

Furthermore I think you need a second opinion. Ford's mod motor has been in their vehicles since the early '90s and parts are plentiful and not expensive. Even if something is worn in the valve train it could warrant replacing rather than replacing the engine. 100,000 mi is nothing for a properly maintained 5.4. the biggest issue with that motor was the cam phasers but if you lock them out it's just as good as a 4.6 which routinely go for well over 300,000. That's just my two cents.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Super tag

WKR
Yes to clarify, my son in law is into the truck now 20k with purchase and repairs. It’s a diesel, which can get very expensive. So far, new injectors, fuel pump and now transmission. My point is he has an older truck not worth much and now is continually spending money on repairs. I told him to buy new and now he wishes he would have. Not everyone can buy new and I get that, but in a lot of cases in the long run it makes more sense

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
What’s the sticker price of a comparable new truck?

Rob5589

WKR
4-6k for a new engine vs 40-60k for new truck. Only you can decide which works better for you.