Truck Oil Change - Mileage or Computer?

cnelk

WKR
When do you change oil in your truck? [gas engine]

I reset my oil computer indicator when I change oil, but I typically change oil at 4000mi.
At 4000mi, the computer says I still have 40-45% of oil life left.

Am I wasting some $$ by not following the engine computer?
Or it it better to change to oil more frequently than what the computer says?

go_deep

WKR
I change mine once a year at the end of August regardless of miles, gas engine. I use the 15k synthetic oil and filter, and maybe put 3-5k miles on in a year on my personal truck.
Work truck I use 15k synthetic oil and filter, and change at 10-12k.
Air filter is key to keeping dirt out of the oil.

Titan

WKR
Dependent on the oil you are using. Make sure the vehicle oil maintenance calculator is similar to the mileage rating on the oil. The vehicle computer just takes into account drive time, idle time, speeds, etc. - it has no idea if you put in conventional or full synthetic.

Overkill for most, but you can send a sample in for analysis to make sure you are in the ballpark.

Mileage, I do 5k full synthetic unless I’ve off-roading or towing a lot then maybe a little earlier.

Dunndm

WKR
I tend to try and get over there before the computer says to, and after the 4K miles. Have a early 2000s Ford with 220k ish miles doing fine still

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on the use and the viscosity breakdown. Oil can go a long time if the 5,000 miles are spread out over 6 months or so...

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
I use full synthetic oil.
I probably put 1200-1500 miles a month on.
50% mtn driving (canyons, gravel roads) 50% highway.
I only pull a small camper occasionally and maybe my utility trailer other times.

If you really want to get into the weeds head to Bobistheoilguy.com and then start doing used oil analysis for 20-30 a pop. After doing a few UOA's I do 7500mi on a full synthetic oil change for my 03 silverado v6 and my 11 subaru wrx. On my wife's accord hybrid I follow the computer which usually has me change between 11-13k. In my opinion anything less than 7500 on full synthetic is wasting money. But I only have 150k on the wrx and truck and 90k on the honda so maybe they will lock up before 200k.

Also, I usually get Mobil 1 from walmart when Mobil is running their rebate on 5qt jugs. My oil bill ends up being 12-14 bucks after rebate per oil change.

Poser

WKR
I just check my oil regularly: once or twice a week. Once it looks dirty enough, I change it. Usually about once a year. Air filter changed as needed as well.

MThuntr

WKR
5k using full synthetic (Kirkland) because it seems I drive in terrible conditions either mountains/hills, interstate at 80mph, against the wind, or mostly likely a combination of all three. I need to buy another case the next time it's on sale.

Last oil change suggested that I could probably have gotten a bit more use as viscosity seemed on par with the new I poured in and coloration was dark brown.

Ah!!! The age old question!

The thing about oil is, that it does not break down. It has already gone through the degrading process. Oil by nature is decomposed organisms. Even through mechanical processes within an engine, it cannot be broken down any further.

As it oil is chemically inert and will not chemically react with the metals in an engine. Oil only goes bad if it becomes contaminated. Contaminates can be particles from the air passing the air cleaner, they can be other fluids (gas or diesel, coolant) from the engine mixing in or metal particles from engine wear getting in the oil. A good oil filter helps keep these contaminates out of the oil.

With all that said, if you change your oil and filter with any kind of frequency, there is nothing to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
I change my own in a gas 3/4 ton, buy the 5 qt from Walmart as nobody else can touch the price, $27, and I change it every 3000 miles. It’s too early, but I like it that way.

It’s about 4-5 changes a year, costs me about $35 or the price of 2 oil changes at a shop for the year. I know it’s too often, but I want 300k out of my gasser, so I’ll keep doing it this way. Knock on wood I haven’t had a truck go bad yet.

I also change the front/rear diff every other year, can’t hurt.

buzzy

WKR
As someone who has worked in the oil industry developing HD and PCMO oils if you are using a full synthetic you are wasting money changing oils 7500 miles or less. Maybe if you are towing in extreme conditions on a regular basis you would look into it.

Basically the cheaper the oil the more frequently the oil should be changed. The better the oil the longer you can go between oil changes.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Sounds like more are changing at certain mileage and not the computer recommendation