Truck Camping setups

Seeknelk

WKR
Its all a trade off.
I pee alot and didn't want to deal w a roof top tent.
A cot is probably the most versatile and I ran that way for alot of years. But it seemed I was always digging for stuff, or setting stuff outside in the weather.
So I went to drawers, worked way better for 2 people and much easier access to stuff. I like to have coffee, Ramen jet boil etc rite on hand.

But it really limits the use of your truck bed and mine are tall enough I can open a cooler if its up in there.

So I ripped them out for a hunt this year and just went open bed. And hated not having quick access to my snacky snacks.

So I'm back to drawers, with a sleep platform on top.
But I haven't really solved cooler access. I need some kind of wheeled tray to slide the cooler out on like the cool kid overlanders have the fridges on.
What size coolers you dealing with? I keep my 120 coho cooler in the crew cab (2014f150). And a smaller dry cooler. I was sorta in the same dilemma. Or I use one for a step up into the back, truck is lifted some. And just leave it out with bolts thru the lid in bear country.
Cot in the bed is nice.
For wall tent trips... I've also made a loose 2 pc. plywood platform I slide over a couple 2 x 6s , so I can have all the wall tent poles and stove pipes , stakes etc, chains saw s, Jack , axe, what not in the lower level. Then having a second flat level surface to slide coolers , bins or what not is awesome.
Another thing I found with the huge crew cab on the ford, is at 5-10" I JUST fit totally stretched out if I max out the diagonal space in the cab. Push driver's seat forward. Did this a couple nights on a shed trip when crazy wind was keeping me awake in the seek redcliff ....jerking and yanking stovepipe and wondering if it was gunna lift off...not good sleep for me!

What size coolers you dealing with? I keep my 120 coho cooler in the crew cab (2014f150). And a smaller dry cooler. I was sorta in the same dilemma. Or I use one for a step up into the back, truck is lifted some. And just leave it out with bolts thru the lid in bear country.
Cot in the bed is nice.
For wall tent trips... I've also made a loose 2 pc. plywood platform I slide over a couple 2 x 6s , so I can have all the wall tent poles and stove pipes , stakes etc, chains saw s, Jack , axe, what not in the lower level. Then having a second flat level surface to slide coolers , bins or what not is awesome.
Another thing I found with the huge crew cab on the ford, is at 5-10" I JUST fit totally stretched out if I max out the diagonal space in the cab. Push driver's seat forward. Did this a couple nights on a shed trip when crazy wind was keeping me awake in the seek redcliff ....jerking and yanking stovepipe and wondering if it was gunna lift off...not good sleep for me!

Dang phone.
My post should of said cannot open the cooler.
I've had and used all kinds of sizes.
I had an rtic 45 it was just to small for us for most trips.
Typically we use and rtic 65 that seems to be a decent compromise as heck we can barely pick it up as is when loaded.
One year I kept it on a hitch rack and that was def handy for the drinks.
But it made getting in my drawers hard.
And now we have a trailer.

Really what I should do, and probably will do on my next truck id build a full bumper with a swing out. And mount the cooler kind of high like an Jeep that way I can town my trailer without messing with it. Drinks are handy. Which is really important to me during 100 degrees archery hunting. And the swing out would allow me easier access to the bed.

But alot of it is my personality as well. I'm totally into over thinking during the off season and trying to build a better system.
Then during hunting I just can't be bothered with messing around ya know. I've tried to relax and have more fun.
I just really like stuff as efficient as possible, and minimal effort. And im really not a morning person.
So unloading stuff doesn't bother me to much. But throwing 3 bins back in the truck at 430 am.
Omg I just can't. Can't

Seeknelk

WKR
Dang phone.
My post should of said cannot open the cooler.
I've had and used all kinds of sizes.
I had an rtic 45 it was just to small for us for most trips.
Typically we use and rtic 65 that seems to be a decent compromise as heck we can barely pick it up as is when loaded.
One year I kept it on a hitch rack and that was def handy for the drinks.
But it made getting in my drawers hard.
And now we have a trailer.

Really what I should do, and probably will do on my next truck id build a full bumper with a swing out. And mount the cooler kind of high like an Jeep that way I can town my trailer without messing with it. Drinks are handy. Which is really important to me during 100 degrees archery hunting. And the swing out would allow me easier access to the bed.

But alot of it is my personality as well. I'm totally into over thinking during the off season and trying to build a better system.
Then during hunting I just can't be bothered with messing around ya know. I've tried to relax and have more fun.
I just really like stuff as efficient as possible, and minimal effort. And im really not a morning person.
So unloading stuff doesn't bother me to much. But throwing 3 bins back in the truck at 430 am.
Omg I just can't. Can't
Yeah, I autocorrected that to "can't open cooler automatically". 👍🏼Cuz I know. Yeah, if you have crew cab space, that works, I just leave them in there and grab what I need, but not if your trucks full of riders of course.

Yeah, I autocorrected that to "can't open cooler automatically". 👍🏼Cuz I know. Yeah, if you have crew cab space, that works, I just leave them in there and grab what I need, but not if your trucks full of riders of course.
Rite now we use the back seat for packs and bows.
But would be a decent idea, cooler in truck and put thats stuff in the bed.

Except, #tag road hunting lol

Rest of the year the back seat is full of dogs.
But cooler access isn't near as important or frequent.

I'm probably getting to the age ill buy a grandpa pop up canopy next time.
My truck is just getting old enough that it doesn't seem worth buying a ton of vehicle specific upgrades at this time.

Brendan

WKR
Pakmule is fantastic for getting coolers out of the bed. Canyon 125 and Yeti 105 here.
ff84e87f0b7af85c9a7a40d1bdc47337.jpg

Shraggs

WKR
09BA017C-0F57-4DDE-93B5-BE9385F1DA86.jpeg

60527477-0E19-46C2-85CF-BD9D3E9E1712.jpegE7C9822D-D260-45EC-9ED7-4131039D9E3A.jpeg

I committed to truck camping this year solo. Really liked it overall. Insulated, under the Matt, and in topper then covered in reflective stuff. The first pic in Montana was below zero and my quilts get me to 10 so I used a generator and electric heater kept it about 40 - until gas ran out.

Wanted a platform but only way I can set up was to be on floor bed. Kept 3 coolers along side with gear in them and balance of gear in access cab. Did not want store stuff outside. It’s a curve to figure out what stays in truck vs cab.

When it’s really cold this system for me needs some improvement as it’s kinda a challenge to live in it when full to safely use stove. The pop/up was to break wind to cook but everything still froze.

Considering an ice shanty as a buddy heater would retain heat to “live” in, but that walks right into a hot tent altogether…

Work in progress

Chatag

FNG
64DA80FA-CF98-4320-8374-993476A5DD70.jpeg
Awning room is easiest for me. Typically have the dogs with me so this allows a lot more room. I’ve been impressed with this CVT one and how stormproof it’s been