Trouble with Kenetrek Boots, what now?

I bought a pair of Kenetrek Mtn extremes, i have 30-40 miles on them and my feet hurt every single time. They hurt within the first half mile of walking on flat ground. Not blistering, no friction, just horrible pains all throughout the bottoms of both my feet. I changed out their insoles and still hasnt helped. It hurts the most walking on flat ground.

I spoke with the company and they said it sounds like the boots just arent made for my foot.

I know this has been talked about in the past with blisters, arches, etc. But did anyone have similar pains at bottoms of feet, almost like pressure point pain. What boot fit you best when moving away from kenetrek? I unfortunately dont have any Lowa, Crispi dealers near me. This would be for Alaskan hunts as well as some Western hunts.

thanks in advance

Last edited:

archer60

FNG
What you're describing sounds like a neuroma......try, as stated in earlier posts, upgrading the insoles....worked great for my on my Hardscrabble Hikers....had really severe pain in the ball of my foot......superfeet saved me

I bought a pair of Kenetrek Mtn extremes, i have 30-40 miles on them and my feet hurt every single time. They hurt within the first half mile of walking on flat ground. Not blistering, no friction, just horrible pains all throughout the bottoms of both my feet. I changed out their insoles and still hasnt helped. It hurts the most walking on flat ground.

I spoke with the company and they said it sounds like the boots just arent made for my foot.

I know this has been talked about in the past with blisters, arches, etc. But did anyone have similar pains at bottoms of feet, almost like pressure point pain. What boot fit you best when moving away from kenetrek? I unfortunately dont have any Lowa, Crispi dealers near me. This would be for Alaskan hunts as well as some Western hunts.

thanks in advance
The issue is that boot fit is highly subjective. Even if you find a guy who had the exact same issue(pain at the bottom of your feet), it doesn’t mean his current boot will also work for you.

I have Haglunds, and finding boots that work for my feet is ridiculously hard. Your best bet is to either go in person to a boot shop/hunting store and try on all the boots(and don’t discount non-hunting centric brands like Hanwag, Scarpa, Asolo, etc) or order up a bunch in a bunch of different sizes and suck up the return shipping fees.

The thing that killed me was that a lot of boots felt great in the house but as soon as I got them on the trail they let me know real quick they weren’t gonna work. I think that’s mostly the fault of the haglunds but either way, food for thought. I ended up buying a cheap pair of boot covers on Amazon to take boots out on the trail. They worked surprisingly well - the boots showed zero signs on wear and I was able to return all that I didn’t want… it isn’t like I hiked 50 miles or anything in them though, it was usually 5-10 miles or less including walking around the house.

EastMT

WKR
I had this same problem, they just didn’t fit my feet right. I tried on every type I could get my hands on. Uphill felt ok, level felt good, downhill just crippled me. I ended up settling with scarpa mount blanc and grand dru. They just work for my feet. I really wanted the kenetrek to work, really liked them but just didn’t. Toe box was the problem

hunterjmj

WKR
This last year I dealt with Peroneal tendonitis and the only thing that made my foot not hurt was wearing Hoffman explorer boots. I wore the big giant foot boot brace for a month then only wore my boots for about 3 months. I just started wearing shoes again. Maybe I lucked out on boots or if it's the style of boot that helped but I feel your pain. Best of luck to you with your quest.

Lawnboi

WKR
If the hard sole of the kenetrek is hurting your foot, a similar bolt from other brands is likely to as well. Me personally I feel it, it’s a still boot, with a hard sole. I use super wet orange in mine, along with past brands. They just might not be for you. I’d give a pair of Salomon boots a try first

Wow did my auto correct butcher that one. You get the gist though

Last edited:

WRM

WKR
The Lathrop brothers have always been helpful to me. If a Kenetrek is causing you issues, maybe you have a foot problem and not a boot problem. I really like their boot line and looking at the new one they just came out with. Hope you get it worked out cause foot issues stink!

OP
S
The issue is that boot fit is highly subjective. Even if you find a guy who had the exact same issue(pain at the bottom of your feet), it doesn’t mean his current boot will also work for you.

I have Haglunds, and finding boots that work for my feet is ridiculously hard. Your best bet is to either go in person to a boot shop/hunting store and try on all the boots(and don’t discount non-hunting centric brands like Hanwag, Scarpa, Asolo, etc) or order up a bunch in a bunch of different sizes and suck up the return shipping fees.

The thing that killed me was that a lot of boots felt great in the house but as soon as I got them on the trail they let me know real quick they weren’t gonna work. I think that’s mostly the fault of the haglunds but either way, food for thought. I ended up buying a cheap pair of boot covers on Amazon to take boots out on the trail. They worked surprisingly well - the boots showed zero signs on wear and I was able to return all that I didn’t want… it isn’t like I hiked 50 miles or anything in them though, it was usually 5-10 miles or less including walking around the house.
great idea. Yeah tough being on east coast with not many dealers for these boots. never thought of the boot cover idea. thanks!

Tx270WT

FNG
I had to read this twice to make sure I didn’t start this thread. I have the same problem. Sitting at about 30 miles on the same boots and have sheepfeet as well. Not excited about the prospects of having to change boots this close to season but I cringe at the thought of a 10 day trip in the Rockies with ill fitting boots. I’m not sure what I’m going to do yet either. OP, I feel your pain.