tripods

I have been packing around a 66" tripod for my Muley hunts. Was thinking of getting a shorter tripod since I spend so much time sitting and glassing instead of standing. Was thinking by getting a shorter tripod I could cut some weight.
What do you guys use?? Weight and length?

shaun

WKR
I use the outdoorsmans medium tripod. Kind of a happy medium. with pistol grip it comes in just shy of 3lbs

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I like my Slik EZ330 w/ Benro Fluid head right now. I am @ 2.5 lbs.-ish. I cut off the foam, and run only one center column section.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like my Slik EZ330 w/ Benro Fluid head right now. I am @ 2.5 lbs.-ish. I cut off the foam, and run only one center column section.

That's what I'm looking at running this year in Colorado.

I think tripods depend on terrain you are hunting. Nv and az require a tall tripod IMO.

OP
fulldraw1972
That's what I'm looking at running this year in Colorado.

I think tripods depend on terrain you are hunting. Nv and az require a tall tripod IMO.

I hunted in SE Az in January. Around Safford. I plan on going back this up coming winter. Would you use a taller tripod there as well??

What is the benefits??

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hunted in SE Az in January. Around Safford. I plan on going back this up coming winter. Would you use a taller tripod there as well??

What is the benefits??

I imagine around safford is typical Az. Az is open country and lots of it to glass. Using 15xs on a tripod while standing lets you cover a lot of ground more efficiently. You can do it sitting however you have to adjust often which throws of where you left off or it could. In short when you sit, it limits your movement which is fine is some terrain but when you are glassing open country mountains or flats where you literally have over 180 degrees of glass able terrain that needs to be hit right at first and last light. Just my opinion and everyone has one. ;)

mtnkid85

WKR
What size spotter are you running? The weight will play into how small/light of a tripod you can get away with.
I have been running a Slik sprint mini II with the stock head with a Leupold Sequoia 60mm spotter sitting on it with wonderful results. However I have just acquired a Zeiss 85mm diascope...
The current head that came with the Slik basically is not sufficient for that size spotter, just too wobbly. But I think the tripod itself should be work able with a sturdier head attached to it.

I plan to upgrade the ball head to Manafrotto 494rc2, then I believe Ill have a light setup that should holdup the big 85mm scope.

OP
fulldraw1972
I imagine around safford is typical Az. Az is open country and lots of it to glass. Using 15xs on a tripod while standing lets you cover a lot of ground more efficiently. You can do it sitting however you have to adjust often which throws of where you left off or it could. In short when you sit, it limits your movement which is fine is some terrain but when you are glassing open country mountains or flats where you literally have over 180 degrees of glass able terrain that needs to be hit right at first and last light. Just my opinion and everyone has one. ;)

Thank you for your insight. Looking back I probably was glassing way to fast and very well could have over looked deer. I guess I was so worried I could be seen easier standing I felt I needed to be sitting.

I have a Nikon pro staff 16-48 I bought 5 years ago. Time to upgrade for sure. Wanting to go with binos this year. Guess I buy them for my own birthday/Christmas present and get good ones.

I have been packing around a 66" tripod for my Muley hunts. Was thinking of getting a shorter tripod since I spend so much time sitting and glassing instead of standing. Was thinking by getting a shorter tripod I could cut some weight.
What do you guys use?? Weight and length?

Look at silk 624 or 634 from bh photo, the 624 is sitting height only but the 634 can do standing height, I bought a 634 and converted it too sitting height only and weight is less than the 624 at 25.5 oz now, just spin the neck extension off and the bottom leg extensions, for a 10.5 oz drop in weight, u can easily put t back together for standing or just get the 634 and leave it alone as it's pretty light to start. See my thread lower on this page about my combo. It's about as light as u r gonna go on a tripod, there r lighter heads but not sure if much lighter pan heads and now that I've tried a pan....love it and worth the weight IMO, made for up down left to right gridding.

Gitzo. I like a tripod that is taller so you dont always have to be sitting down to view the scope. But thats just me.

Best all around tripod that I've used is the Outdoorsmans medium (or medium-short for better portability when folded). It is made in America, lightweight, and provides stability in wind. There is an extension arm for about $100 that you can add to stand and glass with it.

Last year I used the Outdoorsmans tall version, and it was a little long for storage and portability, but at the same time a little short for standing. I constantly moved it around the mountain to find a large rock to support full extension when I wanted to stand. Great for sitting though, go figure. The only pack that fit the large fit was an Eberlestock J107 (or the archery version of that one).

For binoculars and especially big eyes, e.g. 12x50, 15x56 binoculars, the Outdoorsmans Pistol Grip is unbeatable. Squeeze the pistol grip like a gun and it loosens ever so slightly. You can cover territory like you would not believe, popping from view to view, or panning very slowly once you get the hang of it.

For spotters, pan heads work best because they are a little more controllable.

I did try a couple other options this year including the Vortex Summit SS, which I am still not completely sold on. It is very light, but I noticed the shakes immediately looking through 12x50s in it. I have an extension arm for it to stand with and it amplified beyond what is usable in the field at longer distances.