Tripods?

Titan_Bow

WKR
So for years I have used a cheap little Amazon special that was probably 50 bucks or so. It’s cheap, it does was I needed it to do, which was allow me to use my binos with an adapter for glassing longer ranges.
I’m looking for suggestions for a new one because I am wanting to add in some additional needs. I’m buttoning up a new rifle that I’m putting together, and the hand guard is ARCA. So, I’d like a tripod that is sturdy enough to support a firearm in an ARCA clamp. Second, hoping to draw a CO ram tag at some point, and really want to have a good stable platform for a spotting scope, which my current little packable tripod is not. Third, I’d like something somewhat lightweight and packable.
I just started casually perusing, and wow are some of these things pricey! So, just throwing it out there, what’s the best or just really good balance between features and stability, cost, weight and packability?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baller

FNG
I would look at the Sirui lineup. It is what I use. They hold an ample amount of weight for the price and their weight for packability. Some good deals to be had used on ebay.

My .02

svivian

WKR
I think you are going to have to spend some coin to get everything you want. Im really wanting to see some reviews for the new Tricer tripod they came out with that is about 2lbs and can hold 23lbs.

Right now im using a Promaster carbon tripod and its at 2lbs 4oz and very compact but its not stable enough to shoot off in my opinion

This Slik 824 tripod is probably your best bet for the money $(150) for something that’s sturdy enough, yet still somewhat packable. I have one and it is nice but a little on the heavy/large side. They also have a deal with the Slik SVH-501 panhead for $200. The pan head is nice for glassing (I have one), but not ideal for shooting.

I also have a Siru ST-124 that’s awesome, but might be a little on the light side depending on your rifle weight.

From my perspective:
Glassing off a ball head.....sucks!
Shooting off a panning head.....sucks!

My solution has been to glass with a panning head (Sirui VA-5) mounted to a full length center column (RRS Ascend 14L). Combined with carrying a RRS Anvil 30 (with bolt, washer and allen wrench) on my pack’s waist belt (Marsupial Gear 'small zippered pouch' ....works great).

When a shooting situation presents itself, generally, you’ll have time and opportunity to pull the ‘glassing’ center column/panning head out of the legs and attach the Anvil 30, using the bolt and washer. This can be done in under a minute.

If you don’t have time to do this...you’re prolly looking at a closer range shot and could use another, hastier, option for supporting the rifle. An example would be....throwing an Armageddon Gear Pint Sized Game Changer (filled with Git-Lite fill) over the top of your panning head and then you'd still be able to shoot off your tripod.

An example of all of this coming together, played out on this years' moose hunt. We glassed from a ridge, using the panning head, for 5 days before we found a bull we wanted to kill. Before the stalk began.....I swapped the center column for the Anvil 30. During the stalk, which lasted about an hour, we relocated/kept tabs on the bull using a pair of 12x binos mounted to the Anvil 30. Because my spotting scope plates and binocular adapters are Arca-Swiss compatible....it's easy to go back and forth with different head types. Once we got within range of the bull...the rifle was direct connected to the tripod.

We were in waist -to- shoulder height brush, the entire stalk, once we left the ridge top.

If I have to choose between carrying the extra weight of an Anvil 30 or a bipod.....there's no doubt it'll be the Anvil 30.

I would've hated glassing all day, for 5 days straight, with the Anvil 30 and wouldn't have wanted to shoot off the Sirui pan head when given an opportunity at a bull. Honestly, swapping back and forth between heads is no big deal.View attachment 348398
From an earlier post. You get what you pay for….in both increased weight and cost.

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
From an earlier post. You get what you pay for….in both increased weight and cost.

One other thing to note is that with the RRS Ascend 14 you do have the option to buy a second center column to swap out quickly. I have both the integrated head and the Anvil 30 on separate columns and it’s a simple lever lift and switch. I did the bolt/washer for a while but it is much easier to keep the anvil on the short section of the column and switch them that way.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
So for years I have used a cheap little Amazon special that was probably 50 bucks or so. It’s cheap, it does was I needed it to do, which was allow me to use my binos with an adapter for glassing longer ranges.
I’m looking for suggestions for a new one because I am wanting to add in some additional needs. I’m buttoning up a new rifle that I’m putting together, and the hand guard is ARCA. So, I’d like a tripod that is sturdy enough to support a firearm in an ARCA clamp. Second, hoping to draw a CO ram tag at some point, and really want to have a good stable platform for a spotting scope, which my current little packable tripod is not. Third, I’d like something somewhat lightweight and packable.
I just started casually perusing, and wow are some of these things pricey! So, just throwing it out there, what’s the best or just really good balance between features and stability, cost, weight and packability?

Vortex tripods are really hard to beat, in my opinion, because of the warranty. They are similar in quality to Slik and Siriu, so they absolutely will wear out or break at some point. You won't care, though, because Vortex will replace it when it wears out. This is one of the only types of products that I feel this way about because tripods typically wear out over time and don't normally fail and ruin your hunt. Something like their Summit Carbon II would likely meet your needs.

If cost is less of a concern, I would go with a Gitzo or RRS tripod with the specifications you like best. Then I would put the RRS Anvil 30 head on it. If you don't like glassing with the Anvil 30, use the RRS BH30 or BH40. No way I would carry two separate heads.

Yes, the Slik deal we have is awesome. We will be announcing by Friday another AMAZING deal on our 4 most popular Sirui items
T004SKVA5, T024SKVA5 and the ST124 with VA5 head tripods and the VA5 Head.

You will be able to double dip, our low prices and the Sirui mail in rebates that run through the end of the month. We are working out the final details. Stay tuned for the post this week!!!

If you don't like glassing with the Anvil 30, use the RRS BH30 or BH40. No way I would carry two separate heads.
From my perspective, almost all tripod usage on a hunt involves glassing. Why would you suffer the inefficiencies of a ball head during one of the most important aspects of a hunt? I’ve glassed off a buddy’s BH40 and absolutely hated it. Do you carry a bipod? I used too. In general, it’s a lot more likely to have an opportunity to shoot from a tripod, in comparison to a bipod. The only exception to this is during sheep hunts. Which is an entirely different application for me (light rifle, light tripod and alpine terrain without brush) So, leaving the bipod at home in exchange for a purpose built shooting head (Anvil 30), results in a similar weight penalty. Ultimately, I don’t think compromising in glassing efficiency or shooting stability is a smart decision.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
From my perspective, almost all tripod usage on a hunt involves glassing. Why would you suffer the inefficiencies of a ball head during one of the most important aspects of a hunt? I’ve glassed off a buddy’s BH40 and absolutely hated it.
I have glassed off all types of tripod heads with spotters and binoculars. I prefer pan heads for glassing, inverted ball heads (like Anvil 30) for shooting, and quality ball heads if I have to do both. Ball heads are not a problem to glass from, especially if they have a separate panning feature.

Do you carry a bipod? I used too. In general, it’s a lot more likely to have an opportunity to shoot from a tripod, in comparison to a bipod. The only exception to this is during sheep hunts. Which is an entirely different application for me (light rifle, light tripod and alpine terrain without brush) So, leaving the bipod at home in exchange for a purpose built shooting head (Anvil 30), results in a similar weight penalty. Ultimately, I don’t think compromising in glassing efficiency or shooting stability is a smart decision.
I do carry a bipod on most hunts. My experience has been way more shots from prone using a bipod than from a tripod. Also, If I'm backpack hunting, I'm not likely to carry my heavy shooting tripod, so I would give up a lot of stability if only shooting from my tripod. Obviously, I could skip the bipod and shoot off my pack if I really needed to save those 5 - 6 ozs, but I prefer the bipod for a number of reasons.

The weight difference isn't the only reason I wouldn't carry two tripod heads. I also wouldn't want to deal with switching the heads back and forth or deal with the extra bulk in the pack.

If I'm hunting close to the vehicle where weight and bulk are not an issue, I just carry two tripods with the heads I want on them.

Everyone can come up with their own way of doing things and one size does not fit all. I was just giving the OP my opinion based on my experiences.

One thing really nice about the head on the ascend 14 is that the pan feature is above the ball. Theirs feature is really nice to have because the tripod doesn’t have to be level to level the head. You can set the tripod up and use the ball to level the head for glassing. To use this integrated head your rifle can’t be over 10 lbs according to rrs because it was designed for cameras

Trapyotes

FNG
I am thinking about getting a tripod with the capabilities to handle shooting off of. Then installing an Arca plate to my rifle but what is bothering me is , will the Arca plate interfere with my grip while taking a shot off hand?

nobody

WKR
Vortex tripods are really hard to beat, in my opinion, because of the warranty. They are similar in quality to Slik and Siriu, so they absolutely will wear out or break at some point. You won't care, though, because Vortex will replace it when it wears out. This is one of the only types of products that I feel this way about because tripods typically wear out over time and don't normally fail and ruin your hunt. Something like their Summit Carbon II would likely meet your needs.

If cost is less of a concern, I would go with a Gitzo or RRS tripod with the specifications you like best. Then I would put the RRS Anvil 30 head on it. If you don't like glassing with the Anvil 30, use the RRS BH30 or BH40. No way I would carry two separate heads.
I'll second the recommendation of the Vortex tripods. They're not what gets recommended on every "bag dump" youtube video, but they're really solid units. Lightweight, durable, and it's likely they have something that will fit you. Plus, as mentioned above, the warranty. Sirui has a 6 year warranty, I think Slik is 2 years. Tripods take a lot of beating, so a good warranty is a bonus.

That said, I would replace the head on a Vortex tripod for sure. They're threaded at the top of the neck with a 1/4x20 stud, so they'll take any tripod head on the market. I actually use their Summit Carbon II, but I've swapped to a compact little fluid pan head. My overall weight actually stayed the same, but the usability increased dramatically. If I remember correctly, I think I'm almost exactly at 2.5 lbs all in for the tripod setup.

I'll second the recommendation of the Vortex tripods. They're not what gets recommended on every "bag dump" youtube video, but they're really solid units. Lightweight, durable, and it's likely they have something that will fit you. Plus, as mentioned above, the warranty. Sirui has a 6 year warranty, I think Slik is 2 years. Tripods take a lot of beating, so a good warranty is a bonus.

That said, I would replace the head on a Vortex tripod for sure. They're threaded at the top of the neck with a 1/4x20 stud, so they'll take any tripod head on the market. I actually use their Summit Carbon II, but I've swapped to a compact little fluid pan head. My overall weight actually stayed the same, but the usability increased dramatically. If I remember correctly, I think I'm almost exactly at 2.5 lbs all in for the tripod setup.
Vortex legs work just fine for sure. But their heads are junk!

nobody

WKR
Vortex legs work just fine for sure. But their heads are junk!
I will say, I tried a few times to glass with binos with their pan head and was met with tons of frustration. It was ok with my spotter, but didn't work with binos. The best investment I ever made was the Smallrig CH10 Panhead from Amazon, $50 well spent! And it didn't add any weight!

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
One thing really nice about the head on the ascend 14 is that the pan feature is above the ball. Theirs feature is really nice to have because the tripod doesn’t have to be level to level the head. You can set the tripod up and use the ball to level the head for glassing. To use this integrated head your rifle can’t be over 10 lbs according to rrs because it was designed for cameras

I have the integrated head and a rifle in an HNT26 that weighed in right around 10 pounds. Clamped just in front of the mag well it would stay level but if I took my suppressor off the butt end would slowly tilt downward.

It would work in a pinch but the Anvil is worlds better for shooting off.

Dgregory

FNG
I was looking for the same essential features a month or so ago. I ended up going with the Benro Slim Travel CF tripod. 2.2lbs only has 3 adjustments on the legs so it takes less time to set up than all the models with 4. Head is fine but could be upgraded cheaply if you wanted to. I haven’t shot off it yet but I’ve had my gun on it looking through the scope. It stabilizes fine from a standing position.