Tripod Recommendations for Razor 65 mm HD

rutfest

FNG
I am looking at the Vortex Razor 65 mm HD scope and need some help picking a tripod out for it. I am interested in the Vortex summit ss but want to be sure it can handle that size of a scope. I would like to keep the cost under 200... If that is possibe.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Hey rutfest,

I suspect the Vortex would work (I haven't used it myself), but check out the Slik 340 EZ. It fits your uses and budget.

Ozz08

WKR
I have a 65mm viper hd and the summit ss tripod. The tripod is super lightweight and compact which is awesome but I think its a bit too lightweight for my scope. It works ok in calm conditions but with just the slightest breeze it gets shaky as all get out even in when it's set short for sit down glassing. With that size scope it shakes a lot even without wind when fully extended. I think a 65mm scope is at the very upper end of the range for the summit and in many conditions over the limit. I'm currently looking to upgrade my tripod as well.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have been using a Velbon Ultra Maxi M which is a what Vortex basically rebranded as their own since 2011 and use it for my 85mm Zeiss. The heads that come on them are not up to snuff though...I replaced the head with a quality Manfrotto and rock on. I also own a 4 pound manfrotto tripod that really I don't see much improvement over in all but the windiest conditions. For me is a good compromise between weight and stability atleast.

ElkNut1

WKR
Yes, lots of very good tripods on the market, you will have several nice choices as mentioned. As for your question, yes the Summit SS Tripod will support the Razor 65, I used it most this year in our pack in hunts. I also had the 50mm spotter on it & the razor hd 10X42 on it with no issues. It's a ball head to keep total wt down so when adjusting the knob it has to be at the proper tension so operation is smooth & supportive in all positions. This Tripod is good for up to 4#. In most glassing situations we are sitting so the tripod is not extended over 3' generally, when in this state wind has little effect on it unless it's just ridiculous out there. (grin) At 1.8 lb it's tough to beat. Pan type heads are nice as I use them as well but they do add wt & for some that's a factor when distance is involved.

ElkNut1

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I did swap in 2013 from the pan head to a Manfrotto ballhead, but same tripod.

i tried the vortex and did not care for it. ended up with a slik i like much better.

is that budget with or without head?

also, do you have any need for a standing height tripod?

OP
rutfest

rutfest

FNG
Hey guys thanks for the info! Ya the 200 is with the head included that is why I wasn't sure if it was doable or not... The vast majority of my glassing will be sitting so height isn't a big deal

I've got a couple different tripods I use. The Slik Sprint Pro II is a good tripod, I just don't like the short handles it comes with, but it is pretty light. I also use the Culmann Magnesit but it's rather heavy, but very stable.

i have not had a lot of success with tripod and head in that price range but my recommendation if you decided to wait would be the slik624(shorter, lighter) or the 634(what im using) and manfrotto 700rc2. of the tripods ive tried and sold, i would have been $ ahead...

LaHunter

WKR
I have the 65 mm Vortex Razor spotter and have had it since early summer 2013. I use the Promaster 525 carbon fiber tripod and the promaster panhead. I used this setup on one mountain hunt so far, along with several trips to the rifle range. I have been very please with this setup. The tripod / head is plenty stable for the 65 mm spotter, and it weighs less than 3.5 lbs. It also packs down to under 19". The head is pretty good, not great, but you can find them for about $45 - $50. There are much better heads available, but they will be much more expensive. This setup is great for sitting, but is a bit short for comfortable standing. This Promaster setup is above your stated price range. I am pretty new at western hunting, but since you have a $1,200 spotter, don't skimp on the tripod/head. You will probably not get the full use of your spotter with a low quality tripod.

Good Luck

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
ftresdtrswhes45