Tripod for thermal

Those things weigh like 7lbs with no head. Fine for carrying stage to stage at a match, but way too heavy for real field use.

Interesting. I must be Superman then since I pack one around in the field all the time while predator hunting. Also when day hunting predators I pack a BTX/ATX/95 and a small Gitzo in case I see a buck that needs a closer look.

I even packed it on a few early and 3rd season deer hunts. If you mean “real field use” is backpack hunting then I agree. I probably won’t backpack with it. If any type of day hunting or predator hunting counts as “real field use” than no, it’s not too heavy. Now I might be way different than the average hunter. At work I sit mostly. I’m almost 40 years old. I never workout. And I don’t eat real healthy.

The funny thing is the OP says his criteria and you disregard it and push something that doesn’t meet it. The OP reiterates his criteria and you still disregard it and continue to push something that doesn’t meet it. Perhaps we have an RRS man crush in this thread?

OP
satchamo

satchamo

WKR
Those things weigh like 7lbs with no head. Fine for carrying stage to stage at a match, but way too heavy for real field use.

I’m thermal hunting coyotes with a 15 lb AR10 - weight is of 0 concern. I’m only walking a few hundred yards from the truck tops.

I’m going with the rt90c. I’m just not seeing a more economical option. I mounted my gun and measured what I needed and the 63 inch max of the rt90c is more than enough.

I looked at leofoto but they’re $100 more for a comparable model that fits a 75 mm bowl. Unless I’m missing something. Looked at vortex but they were still $500 ish through guidefitter.

I’m thermal hunting coyotes with a 15 lb AR10 - weight is of 0 concern. I’m only walking a few hundred yards from the truck tops.

I’m going with the rt90c. I’m just not seeing a more economical option. I mounted my gun and measured what I needed and the 63 inch max of the rt90c is more than enough.

I looked at leofoto but they’re $100 more for a comparable model that fits a 75 mm bowl. Unless I’m missing something. Looked at vortex but they were still $500 ish through guidefitter.
my rt90C with desmond DLOW-55 ballhead is like 12lbs I think, some guys think that's way to heavy but I don't have a problem packing out deer & elk quarters all fall so that 12lb tripod set up doesn't scare me.

I would go with this for a heavy duty Leofoto option. The inverted ball head like the Anvil-30 is awesome for shooting off. A leveling base has too many knobs to fumble with in the cold or in the dark.

I've bought several tripods from this seller and they are GTG.

yeahkkyle

FNG
I run an Innorel rt90c which I am extremely happy with but the best money spent was on the RRS anvil 30. Almost bought the leveling head but at the time they were only 20* I believe, now 30* is available. Either way, the RRS equipment is top notch and for hunting I think a cheaper tripod would suffice but wouldn't want anything but the RRS head.

Split toe

WKR
Interesting. I must be Superman then since I pack one around in the field all the time while predator hunting. Also when day hunting predators I pack a BTX/ATX/95 and a small Gitzo in case I see a buck that needs a closer look.

I even packed it on a few early and 3rd season deer hunts. If you mean “real field use” is backpack hunting then I agree. I probably won’t backpack with it. If any type of day hunting or predator hunting counts as “real field use” than no, it’s not too heavy. Now I might be way different than the average hunter. At work I sit mostly. I’m almost 40 years old. I never workout. And I don’t eat real healthy.

The funny thing is the OP says his criteria and you disregard it and push something that doesn’t meet it. The OP reiterates his criteria and you still disregard it and continue to push something that doesn’t meet it. Perhaps we have an RRS man crush in this thread?
I'm not going to act like I don't have a man crush on RRS, their stuff just works lol

I'm not going to act like I don't have a man crush on RRS, their stuff just works lol
And I believe they are the best when it comes to stability/weight ratio, etc. But it is definitely not buy once cry once with only a 5 year warranty.

I just thought it was funny when BMX'r said the RT90C are too heavy for field use or whatever and kept pushing RRS. Most of my post is sarcasm but also the truth.

Split toe

WKR
And I believe they are the best when it comes to stability/weight ratio, etc. But it is definitely not buy once cry once with only a 5 year warranty.

I just thought it was funny when BMX'r said the RT90C are too heavy for field use or whatever and kept pushing RRS. Most of my post is sarcasm but also the truth.
Haha I figured it was. There are a few (two vets comes to mind) other tripods out there that I feel can rival RRS though.