Tripod Comparison: Slik 634 vs Sirui T-024 vs Sirui 7C

for the minimalist tinkerers out there...my darling has been a modded 634 to sitting height, bottom two leg sections and longer neck section adios, Giotto 1303 ball head, can handle up to 66mm kowa, it would do a ~9lb or less rifle sitting in a saddle as well since it balances over the middle somewhat, I grabbed a saddle and played but just prefer prone in the mountains over a pack, I can't drag extra gear up the mountain so the saddle was a brief experiment...the cut the toothbrush in half mindset is permanent, typically I run a 10x32 alpha and Nikon ed50 when the climbing starts anyway but use the kowa on it at the range all the time....the modded 634 advantages over the 624...it's lighter, and has less sections so quicker/easier to deploy, disadvantage is its a few inches longer in the pack (big whoop) with the Giotto 1303 head it's 1 lb 15.0 oz on the nose...still sounds to be a minimalist hero to this day, I put that biatch together quite some time ago now but standing height glassing or shooting isn't necessary here in Alberta...a little piece of foam for your butt and get busy glassing, has worked well for the small dig cam and field photos on timer as well, use it at the range all the time, it's goes everywhere this little bugger and its been solid, still like new, wouldn't trade it

4th_point

WKR
Great feedback. I wonder if there is a QC issue with Sirui and/or Slik? Your comment about the legs having play is exactly what I experienced when comparing the two--except it was the slik that had a lot of play. The legs literally bow outward and can 'wiggle' in the twist locks (not slip, just wiggle) on the lower sections.

My new Slik 634 has almost no wiggle in the twist locks. So maybe it is a QC issue?

I wouldn't doubt that some SLIK can have more wiggle, but the SIRUI was very noticeable. That's what I have heard from others as well, but I haven't seen large samples sizes of either. That's where I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that S&S and GoHunt had formed their opinions on larger sample sizes since they sell both.

Anyway, none of these models are what I would consider precision assemblies so there might be a bunch of variation.

Last edited:

4th_point

WKR
for the minimalist tinkerers out there...my darling has been a modded 634 to sitting height, bottom two leg sections and longer neck section adios, Giotto 1303 ball head, can handle up to 66mm kowa, it would do a ~9lb or less rifle sitting in a saddle as well since it balances over the middle somewhat, I grabbed a saddle and played but just prefer prone in the mountains over a pack, I can't drag extra gear up the mountain so the saddle was a brief experiment...the cut the toothbrush in half mindset is permanent, typically I run a 10x32 alpha and Nikon ed50 when the climbing starts anyway but use the kowa on it at the range all the time....the modded 634 advantages over the 624...it's lighter, and has less sections so quicker/easier to deploy, disadvantage is its a few inches longer in the pack (big whoop) with the Giotto 1303 head it's 1 lb 15.0 oz on the nose...still sounds to be a minimalist hero to this day, I put that biatch together quite some time ago now but standing height glassing or shooting isn't necessary here in Alberta...a little piece of foam for your butt and get busy glassing, has worked well for the small dig cam and field photos on timer as well, use it at the range all the time, it's goes everywhere this little bugger and its been solid, still like new, wouldn't trade it
Thanks for the information.

I was planning to ditch the lower two leg sections on my 634 to save a little weight. For seated shooting it seems much more stable than the SIRUI ST series at the heights that I would use, which surprised me. The wider stance being more helpful than tube diameter for that application. But I think I would want a more solid tripod than any of these if shooting was the priority.

Thanks for the information.

I was planning to ditch the lower two leg sections on my 634 to save a little weight. For seated shooting it seems much more stable than the SIRUI ST series at the heights that I would use, which surprised me. The wider stance being more helpful than tube diameter for that application. But I think I would want a more solid tripod than any of these if shooting was the priority.
you'll likely see you don't need the longer neck extension as you have plenty of adjustability in just the legs, also the short through neck piece you can drill the little plastic thread in cap on the bottom and run a loop of para up through and knot on the inside so you can hang a rock bag or whatever if trying to really anchor in wind, not something I've had to do really but pretty easy 2 minute mod for just in case

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmmm- my Sirui T-024 is rock solid.

Depending, I'm using either a VA-5 or ballhead (Sunwayfoto xb-28). I've removed the lower legs which probably adds to stability.

Datslab

FNG
I didn’t want to start a thread just for this so sorry in advance.

I am looking to upgrade from my cheap junkie tripod and was looking at the Slik 834 pro carbon fiber w/ svh head or a Sirui t-0024sf with a va-5 head.

I am not generally a guy who counts ounces in the backcountry but that Slik is heavy, at 3.48 pounds without the head on and that Sirui is right around 3 pounds with the head.

I don’t think I’ll have much need for glassing while standing and am mainly looking for the best stability I can get sub $300. The Slik is on sale at camera land which is why I mentioned that one. If anyone has experience with these or a setup in this range I would greatly appreciate it.

4th_point

WKR
I am looking to upgrade from my cheap junkie tripod and was looking at the Slik 834 pro carbon fiber w/ svh head or a Sirui t-0024sf with a va-5 head.
If you're considering the 834, I would suggest checking out the discontinued 824 CF (twist lock) that CameralandNY has or the 824 CFL (lever lock and heavier) that Sportsmans has. I bought one of each.

I also have a 634, and had a SIRUI ST-125 but only wanted the VA-5 head that came with the combo.

Datslab

FNG
Yeah maybe I typed the model wrong but I was looking at the one on cameraland. I didn’t know if there was any real advantages over one or the other. I will probably end up removing some lower legs

I went down the tripod rabbit hole trying to find a lighter option than my outdoorsmans medium. I tried out that sirui st-124. I ended up selling it, i do sit for my glassing. And i didnt like the leg angles on it, its seemed tippy to me with my spotter mounted. I could of expanded the legs to be at a wider angle and bigger foot print but if in a hurry to setup thats not always an option.

I also like longer and fewer leg sections, with fewer joints and sections you definitely notice a more stable and less shaky platform. Ive been eyeing up the slik CF-633 for a lighterweight option next. If i did get the 633 i would remove a lower leg section for sure. Seems like a lot of guys are worried about how compact / short a tripod gets when folded up, i dont really see the point of that. As long as it collapses so that it'll attach and not hang above my pack frame its good for me. I also think a little bit of a longer tripod attaches easier to the side of a pack and a short one .

I found this super cheap fluid pan head on amazon and its amazing for the price, i like it over the outdoorsmans pan head in that you can actually set the tension so you can move and pan with your binos and tripod and let it go and it wont flop over because its too loose. I found the outdoorsmans pan head that you either had to have it locked or too loose. On or off basically, with my spotter of course.

I removed the rubber grip and shortened the handle a few inches, probably my favorite head ive tried.

What type of spotter have you used with that tripod head? Does it handle the weight fine? Any drop with it when you tighten it in place? I'm trying to find a very light option for a 65 mm spotter that you don't have to worry about the flop issue you mention as much.

Last edited:

sr80

WKR
What type of spotter have you used with that tripod head? Does it handle the weight fine? Any drop with it when you tighten it in place? I'm trying to find a very light option for a 65 mm spotter that you don't have to worry about the flop issue you mention as much.
65mm swaro. It doesn't drop at all and handles the weight fine. For the price of the head give it a try. Wish it came with an extra adapter plate is my only gripe.