Triple Vortex Rangefinders: Viper vs Diamondback vs Crossfire ***Updated 2/17/23***

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Out of curiosity has anyone gotten a crossfire? I am between that and the Diamondback. Sportsmans also has a ranger 1800 on sale for just a little more. I am leaning towards the crossfire.

When we had the cold bow challenge, I sent the Crossfire from this review to one of our winners and I kept the Diamondback.

Now that I have used the Diamondback exclusively over the summer, I wish I would have kept the Crossfire.

I get a little obsessed with the details. I have a bow and a site that can shoot really well. If I’m an inch high at 40 yards, I want to lower that arrow an inch and hit dead center.
The yardage readout on the Diamondback are consistent, but mine won’t cover the full spectrum of yardages.
For example:
I’ll step back to shoot at 100 yds.
The rangefinder will give a reading of 99.4
I’ll step back about 6” and it will give a reading of 100.7 over and over.
I still haven’t gotten a readout of exactly 100.
In reality it isn’t a big deal, but in the yard with my flip flops on and no pressure, I want perfection. I think the Crossfire would have been a better choice. I also liked the T-style reticle of the Crossfire better.

When we had the cold bow challenge, I sent the Crossfire from this review to one of our winners and I kept the Diamondback.

Now that I have used the Diamondback exclusively over the summer, I wish I would have kept the Crossfire.

I get a little obsessed with the details. I have a bow and a site that can shoot really well. If I’m an inch high at 40 yards, I want to lower that arrow an inch and hit dead center.
The yardage readout on the Diamondback are consistent, but mine won’t cover the full spectrum of yardages.
For example:
I’ll step back to shoot at 100 yds.
The rangefinder will give a reading of 99.4
I’ll step back about 6” and it will give a reading of 100.7 over and over.
I still haven’t gotten a readout of exactly 100.
In reality it isn’t a big deal, but in the yard with my flip flops on and no pressure, I want perfection. I think the Crossfire would have been a better choice. I also liked the T-style reticle of the Crossfire better.
Thanks Howard! I appreciate the response back. I ended up getting both. One is for work and one is for me. The ranger is a little slower than the crossfire. I think vortex said .5 seconds with the crossfire and 1 second with the ranger. Both are ranging very similar yardages. Ranger is built more rugged. That crossfire is light!! I know the ranger is the last years model but it still is a good unit. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Howard! I appreciate the response back. I ended up getting both. One is for work and one is for me. The ranger is a little slower than the crossfire. I think vortex said .5 seconds with the crossfire and 1 second with the ranger. Both are ranging very similar yardages. Ranger is built more rugged. That crossfire is light!! I know the ranger is the last years model but it still is a good unit. Any thoughts?

I have an old Ranger too.
The newer models are extremely fast. Holding the old style up to one eye and the new style up to the other eye… the difference was shocking. And speed matters to me. Sometimes the window of opportunity is so small, I want that speed.

Let me know what you think after you get some field time in with both of those models

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk