Trijicon vs Nightforce vs Leupold

KU_Geo

WKR
I moved in from an nxs 2.5-10 for that reason, I just couldn’t make out the crosshairs in darker areas and didn’t feel like always keeping the illumination on. I had that issue with both the MILr on the nxs and a MOAR on an shv. Right now I have an shv forceplex and I really like it. I also have a trijicon tenmile HX which so far I also like, not sure if I can say weather or not it’s as good as a nightforce but it checks a lot of boxes and there’s been some good feedback here as far as durability goes. I paid 739.00 for it when the lost price was ~ 1850.00 so for the price, I just don’t think it could be beat. There’s nothing for 800.00 that is a good IMO.
What model and reticle do you have in the tenmile HX? And is the reticle more visible/useable than the nightforce MilR/MOAR?

JFK

WKR
I have a Nightforce shv now after using Leupold for years. Overall I like the Nightforce more for the simple fact that it stays zero’d, but the MOAR reticle leaves a lot to be desired. There is nothing about it that draws your eye to the center of the reticle and they should have brought the thicker posts closer to the center. Like most scope mfg’s, they assume users need/want massive amounts of hold over. 10 MOA would have been fine. If hunting where wind is not typically an issue I’d buy the forceplex reticle. That said, I’ve dialed my shv 3-10 hundreds of times and the thing has been tracking perfectly and it’s still a very usable scope.

ID_Matt

WKR
To the OP - the general consensus on this forum will be split between guys that favor reliability (hold zero and always track) those scopes will be nightforce, trijicon, and SWFA. There is a whole forum dedicated to testing the reliability of those optics. Most of those guys believe the glass is good enough on those optics that it's never going to hinder a shot WITHIN legal shooting hours.

On the other side you have the guys that favor glass quality. Generally SFP scopes with simple reticles that are easy to pick up. Those will be leupold, zeiss, swaro. These scopes definitely look good 30 minutes after shooting light but don't have the best history for reliability.

I shoot too much and don't baby my guns, so I'm in the reliability camp. Spend too much time and money to have a scope not dial perfectly or lose zero when I'm 5 miles in on a hunt.

morgaj1

WKR
To the OP - the general consensus on this forum will be split between guys that favor reliability (hold zero and always track) those scopes will be nightforce, trijicon, and SWFA. There is a whole forum dedicated to testing the reliability of those optics. Most of those guys believe the glass is good enough on those optics that it's never going to hinder a shot WITHIN legal shooting hours.

On the other side you have the guys that favor glass quality. Generally SFP scopes with simple reticles that are easy to pick up. Those will be leupold, zeiss, swaro. These scopes definitely look good 30 minutes after shooting light but don't have the best history for reliability.

I shoot too much and don't baby my guns, so I'm in the reliability camp. Spend too much time and money to have a scope not dial perfectly or lose zero when I'm 5 miles in on a hunt.
Hamilton nailed it

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
What model and reticle do you have in the tenmile HX? And is the reticle more visible/useable than the nightforce MilR/MOAR?
I’m not sure what trijicon calls the reticle but it’s the MIL reticle, it illuminates in red or green. I find it much better for me. Again, not saying that trijicon is better than NF but for me, this one works better than a few of the NF scopes I tried.

OP
B

bmart2622

WKR
How about any input on red vs green reticle? Was going to go with red but found a great deal on a Credo HX with green

OP
B

bmart2622

WKR
Oh you mean CENTER dot!!! They might, I wanted a reticle with hash marks for wind holds

I own several Leupolds, but my favorite is the VX-5HD with the FireDot duplex reticle.
Since you're wanting hash marks for wind, you might consider this one:
FireDot® TMR Illum.

amassi

WKR
The ffp reticle in the tenmile is much much more visible than the milr or moa r. The only way I could see it being improved would be less wind hash and a longer solid windage bar. It has 14 mils of hashmarks which is a bit excessive since I don't hold wind in 70mph

Last edited: