Trijicon Tenmile vs NF SHV

Ten Bears

WKR
About the pull the trigger on either a Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x50 or a C610 Nightforce 3-10x42 based off reading a bunch of threads on here.

I bow hunt 95% of the time so my optics knowledge is lacking. If you guys had to choose between these two what would you go with and why ? Or am I over thinking this and should just buy one, lol.

This is going on a Alamo Maverick 6.5PRC if that matters.

Thanks
John

Nosferatu

Lil-Rokslider
Nightforce is lighter and more compact.

Trijicon has more magnification and probably a bit more light at dusk.

Totally depends on what you're shooting at, from how far and under what conditions.

OP
Ten Bears

Ten Bears

WKR
400 yard pokes will be about it.

What’s the glass like on these two ? any big difference ? I know they are both “Form” proof….

Nosferatu

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not a "glass" snob, so I can't really comment much on those specifics. I do own the Trijicon Accupower (predecessor to the Credo line) 3-9x40 and the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 and I would consider them about equal, under the same conditions to my eyes. I don't worry about nonsense like edge clarity and such, since I'm not staring at the edge of the image. The nightforce color rendition seems to be more true, but I'm not taking pictures with it, so who cares?

I like the green reticles and the fact that they aren't overly complicated. I do find the Nightforce reticle a bit easier to distinguish the hash marks over the Trijicon.

If I had to do it again, I don't know, honestly. It's a toss-up. The Trijicon was about half the price and is a few ounces lighter, but you're looking at a different model, so not really applicable.

Sled

WKR
Both are nice. It seems like the nx8 might be more comparable though. I've been staying away from NF due to the poor mrad reticle options. Looks like you're into moa and don't mind lower magnification, so take your pick.

JFK

WKR
Can’t speak to the trijicon but have the NF shv 3-10 and it’s a solid scope. The moar reticle is alright but not perfect. It can wash out in darker backgrounds and doesn’t intuitively draw your eye to the center like some other scopes. It still works fine, but I would have sacrificed the 20 moa holds for 10 moa and brought the thick reticle in closer to the center.

Depending on where you hunt and typical wind conditions I’d consider the duplex version as it has thicker posts on the reticle. Wind is a factor where I hunt so I went with the moar and it does a fine job of allowing you to hold for wind.

That said, the scope just works. I bought it with the intent of getting more comfortable at longer distances without mounting some
monster scope on my rifle. It has worked perfectly with no surprises. I shoot it between 200 and 600 at yards at the range dialing back and forth between shots without issue. Return to zero, so far, has been perfect.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have both those scopes and they are very different. The nightforce is a set and forget scope that is built to be utterly reliable. It’s a nice compact design and it isn’t very long so the way you mount it may or may not be an issue.

The tenmile HX is a long range scope that is meant to be dialed and uses a MIL reticle and turrets. It is much larger than that 3-10 shv but has a lot more features, and open turrets. Like I said, it’s a king range scope that is meant to be dialed. Very cool scope and the sale prices are amazing (a thousand dollars off….).

It just depends on what you want to do. If you want to make more precise shots and spin turrets, the tenmile hx is the better of the scopes you mentioned. If you want to sight in your rifle and forget about it, the shv 3-10 is a great option.

I’m with the other guy who dosent really care about glass, to me, they all seem good once you get to that level and the scope is for aiming not observing so glass quality is very low on my list of things to worry about.

I got the tenmile with the intention of doing some long range shooting and possibly hunting at longer ranges than I typically would. My shv was a just on an all around 30-06 tikka that is going to go on a few different hunts hopefully this coming season.

You might split the difference between the 2 and look at the shv 4-14 f1.

OP
Ten Bears

Ten Bears

WKR
I have both those scopes and they are very different. The nightforce is a set and forget scope that is built to be utterly reliable. It’s a nice compact design and it isn’t very long so the way you mount it may or may not be an issue.

The tenmile HX is a long range scope that is meant to be dialed and uses a MIL reticle and turrets. It is much larger than that 3-10 shv but has a lot more features, and open turrets. Like I said, it’s a king range scope that is meant to be dialed. Very cool scope and the sale prices are amazing (a thousand dollars off….).

It just depends on what you want to do. If you want to make more precise shots and spin turrets, the tenmile hx is the better of the scopes you mentioned. If you want to sight in your rifle and forget about it, the shv 3-10 is a great option.

I’m with the other guy who dosent really care about glass, to me, they all seem good once you get to that level and the scope is for aiming not observing so glass quality is very low on my list of things to worry about.

I got the tenmile with the intention of doing some long range shooting and possibly hunting at longer ranges than I typically would. My shv was a just on an all around 30-06 tikka that is going to go on a few different hunts hopefully this coming season.

You might split the difference between the 2 and look at the shv 4-14 f1.

Thank you. That’s exactly what I was looking for. I am going to roll with the SHV as the Tenmile is probably out of my league for my needs.

I only asked about the glass as I was trying to find something to differentiate these two. But you nailed it. This is going to be a hunting scope that I don’t want to mess with or worry about.

Actually did eyeball the F1 SHV a few times, just have zero experience with F1. Little nervous to make that jump.

I would look at the SHV 4-14 F1 again. FFP is the way to go. I like mine a lot and the center only illum is very good for lower light. There was a link to muzzle loaders.com yesterday that was selling them for
I have the SHV 4-14 F1, NX8 2-20, NXS 2.5-10 and a trijicon credo 3-9 amongst others. The NXS 2.5-10 is very similar to the SHV 3-10 that I have also shot. The 4-14 F1 might be the best all around hunting scope of the bunch. The glass is good enough in all of them to not be a consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the SHV 3-10 on my NULA 284. I zeroed mine at 100 but dialed to 250 based on atmospheric conditions for hunting That allows me to shoot to 300 without touching the dial. If I need to make more precise adjustments I just take off the cap. No big deal. I shot a good mule deer in Colorado at 253 at first light and some wild pigs in Texas at last light. No issues with the reticle.