Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x50 or SWFA SS 3-15x42

Wife surprised me with a Browning X-bolt Max LR calibered in a 6.8 Western. Now comes the task of finding a scope. A lot of NF fans but I would like to have more than 10x without weighing half my rifle so other NF's are seemingly out. I have been narrowing down the options to a Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x50 or a SWFA SS 3-15x42. I have reviewed all the scope testing here and other places. The Trijicon to me is slightly taking the lead. Looking to shoot in the field at a max of around 450 yds on mule deer and whitetail. Range shooting may go above that but will be strictly for fun.

I have shot a Dakota Arms with a Swaro calibered in a 30-06 for the last decade in the SE which served its purpose for what kind of hunting I was doing and realizing now the amount of scope options available are frankly overwhelming. I have now moved my core interests from SE whitetail to NW mule deer but still want something to handle both.

amassi

WKR
Of the 2 the swfa, has a better reticle.
The trijicon cost twice as much and you get capped windage and illumination which may be handy since their reticle sucks in timber. There's no post at any position so those stadia just wash out
Fwiw your only saving 4 oz over a nx8 or nxs.
The trijicon ffp tenmile 3-18 is a heck of a scope. Has a great useable reticle as well and splits the cost difference between the tenmile sfp 3-18 and a nightforce

I just put a Tenmile FFP MOA in the 3-18 on my new build. The illuminated reticle is nice and crisp throughout the whole range, I personally think it would be great in timber, its quick and easy to turn on. I haven't sighted it in yet, but the glass is clear, and looks really good.

OP
S
Of the 2 the swfa, has a better reticle.
The trijicon cost twice as much and you get capped windage and illumination which may be handy since their reticle sucks in timber. There's no post at any position so those stadia just wash out
Fwiw your only saving 4 oz over a nx8 or nxs.
The trijicon ffp tenmile 3-18 is a heck of a scope. Has a great useable reticle as well and splits the cost difference between the tenmile sfp 3-18 and a nightforce
I left the detail out that I would be looking at the FFP due to the majority of shots I intend to take. As far as the weight, apparently I just overlooked the NX8 as far as weight seemingly because everything else was +30oz. The NX8 is on my radar and now potentially comes down to price point or a possible used option. Good feedback, thanks.

OP
S
Does the tenmile have a durability and reliability reputation that is as good as swfa?
Shearly from researching others reviews, performance testing, etc. it seems to be generally reliable comparable to SWFA or others. It seems like NF has the edge on all for the durability but once again not speaking from experience with either just research. On some of these options it almost seems to be splitting hairs.

SDHNTR

WKR
The Trijicon is a more refined scope. Probably rough equals in the durability department, but the Trijicon has better glass, better turret feel (to me) and is more aesthetically pleasing without those monster SWFA dials. If the budget allows, Trijicon all the way.

Just picked up a 3-15 swfa to put on my main hunting rifle. I'll admit it's not as pleasing to the eye as alot of others but for the sale price I got it for and reliability I don't mind. Heck the whole rig could be ugly as sin if it shoots I'll pack it around

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

No direct experience with the Trijicon in reference, but I like the SWFA 3-15's very much. I have some mounted while other, much more expensive scopes are riding the bench right now. Mostly because I really like the MQ reticle. Its all the scope you'd ever need. If you want more refinements, that's up to you.

Just picked up a 3-15 swfa to put on my main hunting rifle. I'll admit it's not as pleasing to the eye as alot of others but for the sale price I got it for and reliability I don't mind. Heck the whole rig could be ugly as sin if it shoots I'll pack it around

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
If you're going for looks, it's hard to beat the S&B Klassiks, IMO.

If you just want something that works, the SWFA is a lot of scope for the money.

I'm just one of the multitude of 'poors' that lurk around here so I recommend that you buy the swfa and spend the rest of your budget on ammo and a good sling.

Those trijicon's sure do look nice though!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have an SWFA and a trijicon, I’ve had the SWFA 3-15, 3-9 and 6x. They are all good scopes, they dial well, have usable reticles and are durable but the trijicon tenmile hx I recently got is better than all of them IMO. If the durability and rtz is there like the tests say it is then I’d take it any day. Better turrets, zero stop, illumination, clear glass and I really like the reticle. I’m really looking forward to using this one more and more.

With the tenmile and credo, does the reticle tree still appear (in black) when you have the illumination turned off? These scopes sound nice but I don't need or even want an illuminated reticle.