Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44 - 0 or 20 moa mount?

Frank Dux

Lil-Rokslider
Hello,

I'm hoping the Rokslide community can give me a hand with this one!

I just ordered a Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44. It only has 17.45mrad of elevation(about 60moa). I'm assuming that means I've got about 30moa of downward travel. The rifles are a Bergara 6.5 Creed and a Remington 700 .308 and they'll be used for hunting and range fun so could be anywhere from 25yds to 1000yds.

I'd like to use the Nightforce A190 Unimount, but it's a 20moa cant.

My concern is being 10moa from the bottom of the adjustment range for my normal hunting ranges of sub 200yds? What negative affects will this have if any?

Karz

FNG
I run a 20 moa mount on just about all my rifles and I’ve never had any issues with not being able to dial down enough. If you do run into that issue I’d imagine it would be 100 yards and in, close enough you could hold low if the scope is bottomed out.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
How far will you shoot, ever?

You can calculate whether you need the additional 20 MOA.

A zero MOA rail will put your zero about the middle of the turret travel.

Adding the 20 moa rail pushes your zero 20 moa, and then you have about half the total travel plus 20 moa to dial for elevation.

Most people shooting to 500-600 max don’t need the extra turret travel.

Many do like the extra 20 moa. It probably won’t matter at all to put in the 20 moa even if you don’t need it.

There is some evidence that turrets will have tracking issues at the far extremes of travel, so it makes some sense to stay in the middle of the travel for some scopes.

I always buy a 20 moa rail on all my rifles that aren’t specifically “short” range. Sometimes I might use a 0 moa rail if I get the gun with it if so am not going to get extreme with it.

OP
F

Frank Dux

Lil-Rokslider
I'm pretty sure the scope will dial to zero with the 20moa cant, just curious about the negatives effects and if I'm actually getting close enough to the bottom of the range to be worried about it. Should have about 10moa left at the bottom end assuming the rifle's receiver isn't too messed up.

I've read about turret adjustments not being accurate and possibly loss of optical clarity/resolution, not sure about light gathering. I don't want to screw up my hunting use just to get the extra distance at the range.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I'm pretty sure the scope will dial to zero with the 20moa cant, just curious about the negatives effects and if I'm actually getting close enough to the bottom of the range to be worried about it.

No. It is fine at 20moa cant.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
20moa mathed out fine and seems to work for everyone.

But what about that scope with the 25moa Hawkins rings? The way I mathed it out, if it worked it would be dangerously close to maxing out the elevation with 100 yard zero

That scope's in the mail for me, so before long I'll know how much extra elevation Ive got in the erector with the 20moa rail

OP
F

Frank Dux

Lil-Rokslider
Scope showed up last night. I guess I'm getting old, my eyes could barely tell the difference in the bolder 1 mrad windage marks in the reticle tree. It was dark outside, so I couldn't tell much else about it. Right now I'm wondering if my old eyes will even allow me to enjoy the benefits of this scope. I will say the illumination seems really well done, doesn't have any bleed or reflection that I could find.

One more question about 0moa vs 20moa. I want to try mounting an RMR piggyback style. Will 20moa throw that off too much? I'm guessing I'll be seeing the dot a lot higher in the window?

Wrench

WKR
I have a 10 mile sitting on one of my edges right now with 50moa in it and I am able to zero without issues.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a 10 mile sitting on one of my edges right now with 50moa in it and I am able to zero without issues.
So that's 50moa of adjustment with it sitting on a 20moa base? If so thanks for the info!

Wrench

WKR
I'm down at least that far. It wouldn't take 60moa without a hold under at 100.

xsn10s

WKR
It really depends on the exterior dimensions and how true the mount holes are. I have one rifle that I lose about 7 moa elevation and I can't remember how much windage right off the bat. So on that rifle my 50 moa rail really comes out to 43 moa. But in your case a 20 moa should be fine. One option is to get the Burris XTR Signature rings because they have inserts to adjust the moa. But honestly a 20 moa rail would be fine.

OP
F

Frank Dux

Lil-Rokslider
Finally got the scope out to give it a look at longer ranges. Eyebox seems pretty tight. Besides that I’m not going to give it an optical quality review. Seems great, but I haven’t looked through enough to know the difference.

Only beef is the turret clicks seem pretty soft and do not feel very defined. Hash marks have a little play. Is this normal for Trijicon or should I be concerned? I expected the turret adjustments to be very distinct and precise.

Ripnbst

FNG
Run the 20 MOA, you'll be fine. I have a 3-18x44 mounted on a 300PRC on a 20 MOA rail and its been fine for a handful of range trips. I've been so happy with it that I ordered another one in 4.5-30x56 and I plan to move my 3-18x44 to my 308 and the 300PRC will wear the 4.5-30x56.

Finally got the scope out to give it a look at longer ranges. Eyebox seems pretty tight. Besides that I’m not going to give it an optical quality review. Seems great, but I haven’t looked through enough to know the difference.

Only beef is the turret clicks seem pretty soft and do not feel very defined. Hash marks have a little play. Is this normal for Trijicon or should I be concerned? I expected the turret adjustments to be very distinct and precise.
The eye box is a little finicky for me. I ended up mounting it as far forward as I could and still wish it was a bit more forward. It’s still fine to get behind but it’s not the best I’ve ever used. As for the clicks I’ve had both a 4-16 credo and this tenmile and they both feel a little “mushy” but they are perfectly fine and adjust correctly. I’d rather have a that than a vortex that you can hear and feel the clicks from a mile away but it may be giving me .1 mils or .4 mils whatever it feels that day

OP
F

Frank Dux

Lil-Rokslider
The eye box is a little finicky for me. I ended up mounting it as far forward as I could and still wish it was a bit more forward. It’s still fine to get behind but it’s not the best I’ve ever used. As for the clicks I’ve had both a 4-16 credo and this tenmile and they both feel a little “mushy” but they are perfectly fine and adjust correctly. I’d rather have a that than a vortex that you can hear and feel the clicks from a mile away but it may be giving me .1 mils or .4 mils whatever it feels that day.
Did the 4-16x50 Credo have a much better eyebox? I don’t know if it’s just a Trijicon design thing or if it’s the 6x with a kind of small objective for 18 power.

My only other decent scope is an old Nikon Monarch 3 3-12x42. It doesn’t adjust correctly, but it’s got an extremely large eyebox and glass seems good enough. Seems to be a good set and forget scope.

I might would give up the FFP and 6x multiplier to get a more forgiving, easier to use scope.

I may need to start another thread as the 0 or 20 cant has been answered.

Did the 4-16x50 Credo have a much better eyebox? I don’t know if it’s just a Trijicon design thing or if it’s the 6x with a kind of small objective for 18 power.

My only other decent scope is an old Nikon Monarch 3 3-12x42. It doesn’t adjust correctly, but it’s got an extremely large eyebox and glass seems good enough. Seems to be a good set and forget scope.

I might would give up the FFP and 6x multiplier to get a more forgiving, easier to use scope.

I may need to start another thread as the 0 or 20 cant has been answered.
I don’t have much time behind the tenmile yet but i would say they are about the same. A little more touchy than some scopes but still very useable.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Just zeroed my 6.5SS @100yds with a 20moa rail and the 3-18x44 tenmile atop.

I have 15.2 MIL elevation left in the dial going UP

Interestingly, I have 7MIL remaining going DOWN as well. Total of over 22MILs. There was much more adjustment in my turret than advertised, which is odd, but I wont complain.