Trijicon Huron vs Leupold VX Freedom

Coastie6

FNG
I'm looking at both the Trijicon Huron 3-12x40 and the Leupold VX Freedom 4-12x40 Creedmoor. Has anyone put hands and eyes on these two scopes? Wondering, is the Trijicon worth the additional cost? As a disabled veteran both companies offer a very generous discount which I very much appreciate. With the discount, the Trijicon is a little more than double the cost of the Leupold but still more than I've ever spent on a scope. I know to some that may sound ridiculous, but it's just my reality. Just trying to get input from folks who have seen both of these. This scope will be going atop a used Tikka T3X in 6.5 CM I picked up.

The Huron has horrible eye relief. This one is easy. VX Freedom. For very little more than the Huron, you can get a Credo with an illuminated reticle. Illumination is very nice to have if you hunt 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset. Thank for your service!

OP
Coastie6

Coastie6

FNG
The Huron has horrible eye relief. This one is easy. VX Freedom. For very little more than the Huron, you can get a Credo with an illuminated reticle. Illumination is very nice to have if you hunt 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset. Thank for your service!
Appreciate the input. I'd seen some references to guys saying the eye relief was less than optimal. I think I'll wait on the VX Freedom (they're out of stock at Leupold currently). All my scopes have been VX-I, VX-II or at the top end VX-III. So, I'm kind of a low-end glass Leupold fanboy of sorts. I'm willing to try something that costs a bit more but it would have to be worth it which is why I was considering the Huron. I did also consider the Creedo and a NF SHV I just think they'd be overkill for me and even with the MIL discount, are at a price point I'd rather not touch. I'll wait for the VX Freedom to come in stock and grab one.

Thanks again and for your support "Fartrell" :LOL:

Appreciate the input. I'd seen some references to guys saying the eye relief was less than optimal. I think I'll wait on the VX Freedom (they're out of stock at Leupold currently). All my scopes have been VX-I, VX-II or at the top end VX-III. So, I'm kind of a low-end glass Leupold fanboy of sorts. I'm willing to try something that costs a bit more but it would have to be worth it which is why I was considering the Huron. I did also consider the Creedo and a NF SHV I just think they'd be overkill for me and even with the MIL discount, are at a price point I'd rather not touch. I'll wait for the VX Freedom to come in stock and grab one.

Thanks again and for your support "Fartrell" :LOL:
i have the vx-freedom with the creedmoor reticle (was looking for a simple BDC reticle and liked it) it too has a finnicky eyebox for no apparent reason, it's not a comfortable scope to get behind, and having it about a year and a half with normal use, it seems like every other time i shoot it it's lost zero.... i would not recommend that scope to anyone, it's on my rat gun now, so it's not a liability. probably my least favorite scope i have owned between the eyebox and complete lack of reliability.... not a good scope to own with ammo hard to get relatively, because i feel like i need to check zero constantly on it to have any confidence

OP
Coastie6

Coastie6

FNG
i have the vx-freedom with the creedmoor reticle (was looking for a simple BDC reticle and liked it) it too has a finnicky eyebox for no apparent reason, it's not a comfortable scope to get behind, and having it about a year and a half with normal use, it seems like every other time i shoot it it's lost zero.... i would not recommend that scope to anyone, it's on my rat gun now, so it's not a liability. probably my least favorite scope i have owned between the eyebox and complete lack of reliability.... not a good scope to own with ammo hard to get relatively, because i feel like i need to check zero constantly on it to have any confidence
That's exactly why I was considering it. Thanks for that firsthand insight! I'd heard guys say that a VX-Freedom wouldn't likely reliably return to zero if dialed, but not holding zero is another story. I need the scope I purchase to be decent quality and reliable. I've started looking at the VX-3HD 3.5-10X40 CDS-ZL Duplex. I can get this scope for just a bit more than the VX-Freedom and it's still quite a bit less than the Trijicon Huron even with the discount. I know with the VX-3HD I'm now dialing the scope, not exactly what I was originally setting out to do. I'm sure on this track I'd be better off going with something like the Credo. I've even looked at the Vortex Diamondback with their Dead-hold BDC. The problem is when you start down this rabbit hole and you've got a limited budget it can spiral out of control pretty fast. Already stated I've always liked Leupold, BUT, seems the VX-Freedom might not hit the mark I'm used to from them. I absolutely think Trijicon is a fantastic company with great products and I REALLY like their BDC Hunter Holds reticle. Truthfully, I was hoping a bunch of guys were going to say "go for it, definitely worth twice the money" helping push me towards making that leap to the Huron. Still open to input on options that would mate up well with the 6.5 CM Tikka. Thanks again.

OP
Coastie6

Coastie6

FNG
Here is a pretty decent budget option for you. I have one with the long range reticle on a kimber 6.5 cm and it works great. I haven’t taken it past 500yds but it’s plenty of scope for me to shoot that far.

Thanks for the reply and recommendation. I actually ordered a Leupold VX-3HD 3.5-10X40 CDS-ZL duplex last evening. I really wanted the Trijicon Huron but the eye relief may have been an issue on this setup. Especially with Talley lightweight rings which may have limited positioning to adjust for eye relief. All my Leupold scopes have been of good quality and it sounds as though the VX3HD will be no exception. With upgrades over the sometimes underwhelming VX3i and certainly an upgrade from the VX-Freedom is was initially considering I'm sure for my use I'll be happy.