Trijicon Credo HX 1-8x28 on a 375 H&H

Juneau07

FNG
Just bought a Winchester Alaskan for whacking bears here in SE Alaska… both brown and black. I would like to put a scope with a little smaller footprint on it if possible. I was thinking the Trijicon credo hx 1-8x28 would be a nice fit.

Has anyone beat up this particular scope? If so what’s the good and bad? All of our hunting is done with a boat ride. It’s usually crappy one direction or the other and not uncommon to run 3–5 footers for 3 or more hours just to get to a spot. Makes the airport look tame. That’s just normal stuff and the scope needs to be able to take it… period.

The only scope I’ve run that can take the abuse so far has been the nightforce shv 3-10. I could go that rout again but, like I said, I’d like a smaller footprint if possible.

Thanks you for the info.

eoperator

WKR
I have a nightforce nx8 1-8 I've been thinking about selling. Seems like it would be a good fit for you.

OP
J

Juneau07

FNG
If it turns out the Trijicon can’t take a little abuse I might be willing to go that direction. I really like the idea of a 34mm tube and 28mm objective on the Credo. The Trijicon has a slightly longer eye relief than the nx8 as well. I also like the extra weight on the Trijicon. I think it’s around 25oz.

I looked at that scope for my .375 H&H. After comparing, think the Accupoint 1-6x24mm German #4 is a better fit. More eye relief and more FOV and more tube length for easier mounting on magnum actions.

OP
J

Juneau07

FNG
I looked at that scope for my .375 H&H. After comparing, think the Accupoint 1-6x24mm German #4 is a better fit. More eye relief and more FOV and more tube length for easier mounting on magnum actions.
That’s great insight, thank you.

If you do go with a 1-6, you can still go with the 1-6x24 Credo HX. I am leaning toward that for a 308 short barrel bolt gun.

Do you want first focal plane, second, or doesn’t matter?

OP
J

Juneau07

FNG
If you do go with a 1-6, you can still go with the 1-6x24 Credo HX. I am leaning toward that for a 308 short barrel bolt gun.

Do you want first focal plane, second, or doesn’t matter?
In that magnification range I’d be happy with first or second focal plane. I’ll check out the specs on the Credo HX 1-6. Thanks for the suggestion.

Pathfinder27

Lil-Rokslider
I wanted to jump in here with a question of my own if that’s cool. I’ve used a lot of Trijicon optics over the years for both hunting and military applications and have been happy with them. I’m looking at the same optic for my Sig cross in .308 because I don’t shoot long range and only need something that goes out to about 400-450 yards. I saw they have a .308 ballistic reticle and was curious if anyone had any experience with that. I know the BDC thing can be hit or mis but for the ranges I’m looking for I think it will be ok.

I have that scope and reticle but haven’t had a chance to shoot it at distance. I am not sure what weight bullet it is for specifically if that’s a big deal.

I have the 1-6 hx. It’s on a 223 16” barreled pickup gun. It has been absolutely beat to death. Dinged, scratched, hit, bonked, scratched lenses, and it has zero issues. Looks ugly but still performs. Super impressed with all the Credo line.

Moccasin

FNG
I recently had a 9.3x62 put together and went with the NX8 1-8. I think the FC-mil reticle is well suited to your application and adds versatility to cartridges in this class. The 1-8 is a short little bugger, so mounting length, as mentioned above, is great advice to bear in mind.

Attachments

• 82ED8F82-761E-4035-B71C-4B70785A8686.jpeg
    82ED8F82-761E-4035-B71C-4B70785A8686.jpeg
    617.1 KB · Views: 58

SDHNTR

WKR
Did you actually mount up the 1-8? I too was wondering if it would fit on a .375 length action and instead was thinking of the 1-6 Accupoint to be safe.

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
I recently had a 9.3x62 put together and went with the NX8 1-8. I think the FC-mil reticle is well suited to your application and adds versatility to cartridges in this class. The 1-8 is a short little bugger, so mounting length, as mentioned above, is great advice to bear in mind.
Now that is a very cool build! We have similar taste it would seem.
Agreed about FC-Mil, I like it on my 375HH. Would like to try the DMx reticle as well in real world to see if I miss the big bold dot in the middle or not in the thick dark rainy trees/brush.

Who makes that pic rail sticking out the front of the fore-end? (assuming it's bedded into the stock)
Model 70 right? Mind sharing what scope bases, stock, and bottom metal you have there?

Moccasin

FNG
Now that is a very cool build! We have similar taste it would seem.
Agreed about FC-Mil, I like it on my 375HH. Would like to try the DMx reticle as well in real world to see if I miss the big bold dot in the middle or not in the thick dark rainy trees/brush.

Who makes that pic rail sticking out the front of the fore-end? (assuming it's bedded into the stock)
Model 70 right? Mind sharing what scope bases, stock, and bottom metal you have there?
Thanks, big fan of the 375H&H as well. Brown Precision made the stock and I convinced them to add a pic rail to the front for a light. It’s a generic rail screwed into an aluminum block bedded into the fore-end. Bases are Leupold steel for a pre-64 M70 and bottom metal is Blackburn now sold by Swift bullets.