Tried out - First Lite Uncompahgre Puffy

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have used several puffys including hunting and mountaineering style down and synthetics from Patagonia, Marmot, TNF, GoLite, and Sitka, and the Uncomp. is easily the warmest, IMO.

I love my FL puffy. I have used it religiously since I bought over the Christmas break. I've also own a number of puffy's and this is by far the warmest and the easiest to compress. I lived in Washington state for a the last year and it works very well against the rain they get there, I didn't really need to use a rain jacket as the puffy easily handled the rain. I will use my FL rain jacket during the non winter months instead of the puffy, but for the October to March outdoor pursuits, it is my go to jacket. I have recently moved to Kansas so I will be testing it for real warmth during long sits in a stand.

gmajor

WKR
Considering picking up this jacket, just had a question about sizing. I heard it runs a bit large, and the comments on this thread support that. I'm 5'8" and 155lbs (37 chest, 30 waist), so I usually prefer a slim/athletic cut, and I appear to fall in the large end of their "small" sizing. And all my FL merino is small. Does anyone have this in a small? General comments about size?

KNPV PSD

Lil-Rokslider
Considering picking up this jacket, just had a question about sizing. I heard it runs a bit large, and the comments on this thread support that. I'm 5'8" and 155lbs (37 chest, 30 waist), so I usually prefer a slim/athletic cut, and I appear to fall in the large end of their "small" sizing. And all my FL merino is small. Does anyone have this in a small? General comments about size?

I'd say go with small. You should be good to go especially since you fit small base layers.

I'd personally say a medium, but that's because I'd want it to not be super tight and it will accomodate a few layers underneath comfortably.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I am taking my FL jacket to Idaho today to give it a whirl in some wet conditions this next week. Hope to get some elk blood on it too if we are lucky.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've worn mine all over,in the southeast, Midwest and now mountain west in northern Utah and all different parts of Idaho. Will be going out for deer and elk this weekend and northern Idaho for whitetails in November. I'll let you know if anything changes but it's served me well on mobile hunts and in long sits on stand.

Aeneiad

FNG

I'm about your size and I have a medium. It is a little big on me if I'm wearing just 1 base layer but if I double up it's fine.

My only complaint about the puffy is the zipper on the pockets. I'm constantly getting the material on the inside of the pocket stuck in the zipper and then spend 5 minutes carefully backing the zipper off the material so it doesn't rip. The first time I used the jacket I wasn't careful and did end up ripping the pocket liner. It would be nice to see a little more durable material on the inner pocket, bordering the zipper.

AZGUY

Lil-Rokslider
I would go with an XL. I am 6'3 200lbs and my large fits me perfectly but I'd size up if I were you.

Finch

WKR
Is it that noisy that you guys wouldn't try to stalk an animal? I'm trying to get my "wish list" together but I'm a little confused on clothing choices. Do you guys mainly use this while at camp? I'll be in CO next September, would it be too noisy while trying to stalk an elk?

Is it that noisy that you guys wouldn't try to stalk an animal? I'm trying to get my "wish list" together but I'm a little confused on clothing choices. Do you guys mainly use this while at camp? I'll be in CO next September, would it be too noisy while trying to stalk an elk?

For rifle no, for bow hunting yes. It is still a puffy. If it was made completely of the shoulder/ lower arm fabric it would be alot more quite. For me this piece is for when the glass comes out, or I plan on being stationary for awhile. (Ie camp, sitting a water hole, still hunting) where I hunt it is way to warm to wear while on the move. It cuts the wind really well and is extremely tuff for a puffy. That last part to me is highly over looked in my opinion, when I'm glassing I lean or lay on all kinds of shit, rocks, tree branches, crawling up to the edge of outcropings, I never have to throw something on top of it to protect it, saves me time and weight. Personally besides my kifaru frame it's the best piece of kit I've picked up in quite awhile.

I'm 6'2" 240 and the XL is perfect.