trekking poles

looking at purchasing a set of poles. are they worth it. And also what kind is a good pair.Using mainly for elk hunting or deer hunting. Thanks

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Yes they are worth it.

Leki, Komperdell, Black Diamond, all make very good trekking poles.

I made fun of them for years.... called them "bozeman poles" hahaha. Now I have a pair and dont leave them home ever. I am getting to where I feel wierd hiking without them

Joe

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
As noted once you get used to them you never leave home without them...figure out your budget and as BB noted check out many of the very good companies that put out trekking poles.....decide if you want poles that extend or are one size, the type of grip you would like and the proper size for your height. Many will fit right in your pack when not in use and remember you get what you pay for:)

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
If your like me and your on a budget. Check out http://www.pacemakerstix.com/PaceMaker_Expedition_Trekking_Poles_p/flip-lock.htm These are super nice poles. I just got my set and at 47 for the pair, they have alot of the same qualities of more expensive poles but without the hefty Price Tag. Really really digging the quality of these. Super nice finish too.

These also have the quick release locks so no twisting to get them to tighten down.

unm1136

WKR
I just got my set, and I will review them next week. I just recently started rucking for fitness. I did two rucks last week, and one so far this week. I got my poles on Friday. Subjectively,I found less core (hip flexor) and shin soreness when using the poles. I had just done 4 sets of 40 pushups, and immediately noticed the load that my arms took as my biceps and triceps started to feel strain pretty quick. Both days I did the same route, in a city with my Garmin Forerunner 301 GPS and heart rate monitor. I was a little surprised by the results. Last Thursday I did 3.07 miles in 47:37 averaging a heart rate of 151bpm and maxing at 168bpm. I averaged 15:30 miles. I had slept about 7 hours the night before, and was about 5 hours into my day when I started my little walk. This morning I had been up for about 16 hours, working 10 overnight after sleeping 9 glorious hours yesterday. So rest may be an ugly variable here. I felt less stress on my body, and rucked the same route, doing 3.06 miles in 47:55, and averaging 144bpm at 15:38 pace, and a max heart rate of 159bpm Not a huge difference, but since I am a beginner, I would not have expected to be 8 seconds per mile slower, but averaging 9bpm less. It could also be hydration level, so clearly a couple of more days at this will be needed. I was carrying a 40 pound EMR both trips, and purposefully did not listen to music. That all amounted to the same distance in 18 fewer seconds, while using about 400 fewer heart beats. Interesting....

pat

TEmbry

WKR
Just ordered a set of the Pacemaker Stix.... hope to give them a good trial this summer when I head out to New Mexico for 2 months.

jherald

WKR
I finally wore my leki's out. Picked up some black diamond flick- locks and i dont know why i never used them before. They are easier to adjust than the leki's. still going to have the leki's on hand for spares.

Just picked up a new pair of black diamond distance z-poles in the Cabelas bargain cave for $45......score.

trk3263

WKR
I finally wore my leki's out. Picked up some black diamond flick- locks and i dont know why i never used them before. They are easier to adjust than the leki's. still going to have the leki's on hand for spares.

You should check into the Leki warranty. I had a wore out pair and they just returbed them as part of their warranty. The CS was great.

2ski

WKR
I made fun of them for years.... called them "bozeman poles" hahaha. Now I have a pair and dont leave them home ever. I am getting to where I feel wierd hiking without them

Joe

"Bozeman poles"???? What are you trying to say......that isn't true.

When I got my BD's, I was going to go with aluminum to save some money, but as I was walking around REI with them vs carbon, I kept thinking the lighter poles, over a long distance, were going to make a huge difference in arm and shoulder fatigue.

shooten

FNG
I use them consistently. They definitely take a load off of the knees. Using a rest step, I can do some serious distance with my ruck now. I've got a pair of Leki's but am really tired of the twist lock. Black Diamonds with flick locks are in my future.

You should check into the Leki warranty. I had a wore out pair and they just returbed them as part of their warranty. The CS was great.

I looked into their warranty a while back, and everything I read indicated they will only warranty pole breakage. My twist lock has failed and I can no longer lengthen or shorten one section. I guess I should still contact them to see if they will work with me.???

Haha, it was joke.... but you know how it is when you hike around the forest service trails around Boz.... hahaha

Joe

"Bozeman poles"???? What are you trying to say......that isn't true.

When I got my BD's, I was going to go with aluminum to save some money, but as I was walking around REI with them vs carbon, I kept thinking the lighter poles, over a long distance, were going to make a huge difference in arm and shoulder fatigue.

I looked into their warranty a while back, and everything I read indicated they will only warranty pole breakage. My twist lock has failed and I can no longer lengthen or shorten one section. I guess I should still contact them to see if they will work with me.???

I had a pair of Leki flick locks that gave me fits trying to adjust them. I had to almost completely unscrew the screws to bring them in or out. I took them back to REI and traded them in on Black Diamonds after one season of use. I don't know where you got them but if it was REI you should have no problem returning them.