trekking poles

I had a pair of Leki flick locks that gave me fits trying to lengthen or shorten them. I took them back to REI and traded them in on Black Diamonds after one season of use. I don't know where you got them but if it was REI you should have no problem returning them.

No such luck. I got them from a local sporting goods store and don't have the receipt anymore, so I was told I am SOL from them. I contacted Leki USA today and was told the same thing, so I have contacted Leki in Europe to see if they will be a bit more helpful. I'm not looking for a free pair, just trying to see if I can buy parts to fix it. Black Diamonds will be getting some of my money pretty quick.

ktowncamo

WKR
I too have some Carbon Fiber Flick Lock from BD but I used a prototype set of the Easton AL-5 Compact last fall on the Wasatch Front (my buddy lent them to me - he works for Easton) and they are wicked sweet. I'll be making the switch this year to Easton as soon as they are available. I like the grip better than the BD, and when the hiking is done and it's time put them away to spot and stalk, the fact that they quickly become super compact to fit inside my day pack with ease is a huge plus.

2ski

WKR
Haha, it was joke.... but you know how it is when you hike around the forest service trails around Boz.... hahaha

Joe

Oh, yeah, I know. I'll be in Great Falls this weekend. I think I'll hit the River's Edge Trail and bring my bozeman poles with me. I might get a few stares and funny looks.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Those Pacemaker Walking sticks are a serious contender without the hefty price tag of the Black Diamond or other top brands. You guys should really check them out. Norman the owner is a great guy and has wonderful customer service too. He backs his Poles with a 1 year no questions asked warranty also. 50 bucks for his Expedition poles are a great price. I have a set of these and they are a definite under priced piece of gear that has some awsome features of the more expensive poles. You can see more about his Poles here at his site. http://www.pacemakerstix.com/

Their made of 7075 aircraft grade aluminum not the 6065 thats weaker. They wieght in at 10.5 ounces which is pretty reasonable. The grips are made of a heavy duty cork material and they feel really natural in your hands. The Straps are made of a soft strong nylon and have neoprene lining the inside. They go from 27 to 54 inches which is small enough to fit in a Pack but expand large enough to pitch any Tarp Tent out there. They have the quick release lock also that makes them super easy to setup and they have the inch markings on the poles so you know the length your setting to without guessing. They come with a bunch of different attachments, and the attachments are a great fit. Here is a photo.
Expedition poles.jpg
I shopped around for a long time for a good set of poles that didnt break the bank. 50 bucks is a steal for these as they are well made, and have a lot of the same features as some of the top brands out there.

He also sells a Bipod for camera's and hes working on a shooting attachment for it so you can use it as a gun stabilizer when shooting.

Last edited:
OP
horngobbler
went with the black diamond ultra mountain carbon poles. Thank everyone for the advice. Very good purchase so far.

Well after a couple weeks of trying I have had no luck dealing with Leki. I have tried to obtain some replacement parts for my broken Leki trekking pole and they will not work with me. I never asked for anything for free, I just want to buy some parts to fix the twist lock that broke and is now stuck. So just be aware that they may be difficult to deal with if you have any problems. It seems BD flip locks are the way to go in the trekking pole department.