Tree Stand Archery Elk Tactics?

pfraze

FNG
Lately I have been re-evaluating my approach to elk hunting. I usually hunt early season, OTC, archery and the elk are highly pressured. I recently ordered the book "Tree Stand Hunting Rocky Mountain Elk", but I was wondering what those of you, who are successful from tree stands, like to look for in a setup? Wallows, springs, parks, bedding areas, travel corridors? I use traditional archery equipment, most of which I make myself, so I need the closest shot possible. I appreciate any insight you care to give. Good luck to everyone this fall!

11boo

WKR
I keep playing with the idea, but in my area the elk are so pressured they move, a lot. Still, once in a while I find secluded wallows that draw me back to the idea.

Laramie

WKR
I have done it but like is mentioned above, you need to do it in an area with light pressure where the elk are somewhat predictable. Wallows are a crap shoot because the weather can really change. A couple years ago I set up tree stands on wallows that were being hit very regularly. It snowed the night before season and I literally had zero elk on camera the rest of archery season on 2 of the 3 wallows and one little bull on the 3rd wallow at 2am. If you are committed to trying a stand, I think the best approach is to set up in known travel corridors and hope for the best.

OP
pfraze

pfraze

FNG
I could be wrong, but I figured a tree stand tactic would benefit a higher pressured area. If the elk are constantly being pushed around by hunters, if in the right spot, sooner or later one should walk by. I know elk get blown out of an area, but I have also seen different elk get run into that same area from surrounding hunters in high pressure areas. I should add that I am after any legal elk.

LostArra

WKR
I've used a hang-on stand for elk and the best encounters occurred on small wallows, springs in dark timber in otherwise dry/desert country. Like Laramie said, it's very tough to pattern elk but they do need water. I've had multiple bull encounters under 20 yards (always with a cow tag). Once while setting up a stand I stood on my climbing stick for 15 minutes while a bull took a mud bath 18 yards away.

cnelk has some good information and a video of calling elk from a treestand but he is a true elk killing ninja.

Downside of elk treestands:
Sitting in one spot for any extended period while getting to hunt in the mountains for a week is tough to do. I hunt whitetails from a treestand for 3 1/2 months and getting to move around the mountains is one of the pleasures of chasing elk.
Hauling the stand up the mountain is a chore and also bringing it down is another job that wastes hunting time.
You can sit waterholes just as effectively on the ground and adjust for wind/thermals. Sitting a stand can be a problem when the thermals are wrong even momentarily.
When I had ultra close encounters with bulls (and no bull tag) I really didn't like the shot angle for my longbow. I would have preferred broadside from the ground.

CC11

Lil-Rokslider
Find a good wallow that the elk are using and set your stand up. Over the years we've hunted two seperate wallows out of treestands and have killed a pile of elk, with numerous shot opportunities between three of us. My dads stand is in an area that gets a fair amount of pressure and my stand is 150 yards above a main gravel road, and there's always people around hunting.

To me, in an area that is heavily pressured, the elk aren't talking much and they go super sneaky getting around. What better way in the early season than to sit water in the evenings? It's worked great for us.

Overdrive

WKR
I used treestands as another tool for my hunt but it wasn't my primary focus. I had a stand set up in a travel corridor that led to a feeding area. I hunted this area in the evenings as a good time to recoup from hunting the mornings chasing bugles, but was still out so I wasn't wasting time in camp.

I personally didn't have any luck sitting a wallow and I had some good ones but they always hit it the day I wasn't up there. With my stand on the travel corridor I saw Elk, Deer, Moose and many other critters every evening I sat it.

cnelk

WKR
I’ll play. ;)

Wallows are good but aren’t my ‘go to’.

If you can find a trail or funnel, that can be okay.

Bedding areas are probably the best.

But whatever you do, it’s all about the wind or thermals

The wind near Wallows seem to be advantageous to the elk in every aspect.

One of my best tree stand spots is actually a travel route. Mornings and evenings for a couple hours
But the real advantage to this spot is there is a big draw right behind me. This draw pulls the thermals in the perfect direction for the tree stand.

I don’t sit a tree stand every day. I’ll plan out my hunts so I’ll either sit in the morning and hunt the rest of day somewhere else or on a day when we chase bugles all day, I’ll sneak into a stand for a couple hours in the evening.
Resting up, but still hunting

No way would I tree stand hunt only.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've said for years that if a guy isn't picky and has no problem sitting, then blinds or tree stands would be gold that first week of the season. But I can't sit for more than a few minutes and I am picky.........and I love playing the rutting game too much to sit somewhere. But as I get older.......who knows. I have a lot of spots where a blind of stand would be pretty productive.......especially if you can play the long game. I've run into more treestand hunters in the last few years than I ever have. It's a little awkward because I don't make a habit of looking up into every tree I pass.

You can just about do jumping jacks in a tree, and the elk won’t see you. If you’ve WT hunted before, and are good at it, cover is really the last thing one needs to worry about with elk. Wind is #1 as mentioned above. And there are plenty of ways to make sure you have it most of the time.