Travel Case for Longbow?

444Marlin

FNG
I have some family trips coming up and would love to take the longbow(s) and a handful of arrows. What travel cases do you recommend for airline travel?
One piece longbow.

I just ordered a take down custom. But it will be a few months before it's ready.

I have some family trips coming up and would love to take the longbow(s) and a handful of arrows. What travel cases do you recommend for airline travel?
One piece longbow.

I just ordered a take down custom. But it will be a few months before it's ready.
If it's straight limb you could always go 4" pvc with a end cap on one side and threaded cap on the other.

mgmicky

FNG
I have a Far North case that works really well. It’s basically heavy PVC with nylon skin and handle, and lined with foam. I can fit 2 longbows and about a dozen arrows in it. It’s several years old and I don’t know if the company is still in business. If you are handy it‘s probably fairly easy to make.

I ordered a long bow from Grizzly Bows in Paonia CO and received my beautiful bow cleverly packaged in a gutter downspout which I saved and use for transport in my truck. The ends are plugged with 2x4s cut and trimmed to fit.

Years ago we would walk right on the plane and the stewards would put it in their coat closet. I wonder if you can still do that? obviously arrows could not be with bow. I have seen fishing rods and other long tubes being carried around the airport.

mgmicky

FNG
Go4forthegusto unfortunately I think those days are long gone. A few years ago I had a 3 piece takedown in a carry on suitcase (no arrows) and the TSA totally freaked out. They detained me for questioning, then luckily let me put the bow in a check bag. Back in my compound days they made me open a hard case to prove that the bow wasn’t loaded! This was in liberal Charlotte, hopefully red areas would be more tolerant

OP
444Marlin

444Marlin

FNG
I would assume I would have to check it. Anything that can be used to hunt elk probably shouldn't be allowed as carry-on.

I'll check out Far North. I have a little deflex in the limbs, but a straight case should work.

Beendare

WKR
Thats the problem with a One piece, many times it counts as a piece of luggage. I have seen guys carry these on in Alaska.

It why I use a 3 piece, I break mine down and toss it in a duffle, usually the Nomad. I sometimes put the limbs and riser in a bow sock, or small padded case the. Arrows in a drain pipe.

Last edited:
I have a Far North case that works really well. It’s basically heavy PVC with nylon skin and handle, and lined with foam. I can fit 2 longbows and about a dozen arrows in it. It’s several years old and I don’t know if the company is still in business. If you are handy it‘s probably fairly easy to make.
Agreed. I have three. Worth every cent. https://www.addictivearchery.com/products/far-north-long-bow-case
Buy stencils and paint the words HAND CARRY ONLY - CHECK I.D. & the last 5 digits of your driver's license so the airline doesn't put it on a conveyor.

Last edited:

Dwight2180

Lil-Rokslider
That far north looks prerty sweet. I have a homemade 4in, might be 6in, pvc. It works but is awkward to carry. It would be better if I added handles. I've never flown with it tho.

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Try a Sportube, they are made for skis. They will hold your longbow, arrows and numerous other items. The single version is all you need for a couple of longbows.

A lot of skiers fly into and out of Bozeman, they usually do not charge extra baggage for skis here. Same for fly fishing rods, they fly free out of Bozeman to Alaska. I have put my longbow in a PVC tube with a couple of fly rod, with lots of fly fishing stickers on the outside, and they have checked it for free.

Wrench

WKR
A piece of schedule 40 pvc with some caps and a bow sock looks low rent enough to not get swiped and takes a serious wreck to bust your bow.