Trail Cam Help - Something Killing Backyard Animals

TX_Diver

WKR
Hey all,

I live outside of town and am fortunate to have a number of animals right now behind the house. Recently something’s been killing our ducks at night. This happened a few weeks back and I trapped a skunk, and 2 possums over the next few nights which seemed to work until a few nights back.

I don’t want to stay up all night on a stake out so looking for some help finding a trail cam that will alert me when something is happening by sending a pic to my phone. Obviously this will potentially have some false alarms if the animals move around anyways, but figured it’s worth trying.

Im on Verizon but there is probably WiFi available as the fence id set it on is about 30 yards from the house.

anyone have recommendations for something that’d work for that? Would be nice if it’d also save pics to a SD card as I can use that function on some western hunts later.

Cheers

corncob

WKR
If you have Wifi available and could run an extension cord, I would go for a surveillance camera instead of a trail camera. Amcrest and Reolink both have pretty good options for outdoor wifi security cameras. In my experience, the Amcrest setup and app are both easier to navigate.

That would only cost you probably $60-100. Wouldn't be able to use it on future western hunts, but for the price of a good cell or wifi trail camera with instant notification, you could probably buy a great non-cell trail camera and the surveillance cam.

264win

WKR
SPYPOINT link micro can be found for 100-125.00
I have several and they do the job well for their price point. They are a cellular trailcam that sends the photos directly to you. They will also store them on the sad card if there is no signal.

Rich M

WKR
Maybe try a driveway alarm to tell you when it shows up.

A couple dog proof coon traps and some mini marshmallows might help too.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
The driveway alarm is an interesting one. I don't know where it's coming in though but I could probably figure it out. I've caught skunks and possums so far in my trap using the duck carcasses as bait. Will add some marshmellows to the next grocery run though.